Debrand

would someone explain to me exactly what debrand means i have a se z750a
i would like to know the details.

Accepted Solution

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

15 years ago

i've been told that my z750a cannot use sound files over 600kb as ringtones because at&t limits the size you can use, although sony ericsson's info on the phone says you can use any mp3 file as ringtones. would debranding remove this restriction? also, how exactly or where do i get it debranded if i decide to?

Scholar

• 

214 Messages

15 years ago

Z750a is sold in US with ATT firmware (software). Debrand means taking out ATT software and installing Sony Ericsson software. By debranding you will get new options (which are deleted by ATT) and also you will loose ATT softwares. SE menu is different from ATT menu and also the functions of the buttons changes. For Z750a there is no free debrand, you have to pay around $16 to debrand. So many claimed that the battery life increased and are happy with SE menu even though they lost some of the options. There are some threads in this forum or you can google for debranding Z750a. 

ACE - Expert

• 

6.6K Messages

15 years ago

@rfreslist wrote:
Z750a is sold in US with ATT firmware (software). Debrand means taking out ATT software and installing Sony Ericsson software. By debranding you will get new options (which are deleted by ATT) and also you will loose ATT softwares. SE menu is different from ATT menu and also the functions of the buttons changes. For Z750a there is no free debrand, you have to pay around $16 to debrand. So many claimed that the battery life increased and are happy with SE menu even though they lost some of the options. There are some threads in this forum or you can google for debranding Z750a.

I debranded mine so quickly I don't even know what I lost, but I doubt there was anything worth keeping 😛 No regrets 😄

Guru

• 

1.3K Messages

15 years ago

The worst part of debranding(if you get caught) is it voids your warranty why I dunno because you did nothing to the hardware but before you you do it make sure you have a backup plan(or insurance on the phone) in case it all goes south on the reflash.  Overall though I do believe debranding is worth it.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

15 years ago

What's the difference between unlocking and debranding then?  Unlocking allows different network use?  Debranding is removal of proprietary software from a given company?

I'm thinking of debranding my w760, just weighing it out the pros/cons.  I'm pretty sure I'm off warranty, so wth, right?

(edit)

***10 minutes later***

From Yahoo Answers:
unlocking is where you open it to all networks.
debranding is where you remove all network specific software. eg... vodafone live/o2 active menu links. then its reset to manufactures software.

Message Edited by Kaalaman on 11-22-2008 09:02:30 AM

Guru

• 

1.3K Messages

15 years ago

Yes debranding just removes ATT's crapware/restrictions and unlocking lets you use the phone with any carrier.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

15 years ago

Thanks Scooter!

Cheers!

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

15 years ago

There is a one year manufacturer's warranty, so I'd be pretty surprised if you are already off warranty on the W760a. 😉

Most people seem to believe the benefits of debranding outweigh the cons (as do I) - but two things to consider first that are specific to the at&t firmware, so if you care about them you may not want to debrand.

The IM client - at&t's use of the OZ client allows them to convert IM activity to SMS messages for billing purposes (instead of charging it as data).  I have not seen anyone indicate they've found a replacement client that uses SMS for IM activity.

Cingular Video - you won't have access to the at&t MediaMall once you debrand.  Most items are available elsewhere anyway - usually for less or even free.  But if you were intending to use CV, you will not be able to do so once you debrand.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

15 years ago

Well, It's a unique situation as I near the very end of my year warrranty and had gone thru 2 W580s that went sour on me.  I brought my 580 into a core store and one of their CSRs managed to secure me a 760a.  So, my warrranty is pretty much over with a 760 in my pocket.  🙂

The maybe the biggest (of a small set of concerns) is not so much getting to CV but the MEDIA SERVER.  I can watch youtube on my 760 (I have unlimited data plan) as it is now, but if I debrand, I'd like to know if I wouldn't be able to access the media server to occasionally watch things on youtube or rather, access the MEDIA SERVER.  Beyond that, whatever else I lose by debranding is made up in what I gain - more stock functions, no nag screeens ("allow access to?"), etc.

Thoughts?

Kaal

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

15 years ago

also i've seen some mention of losing internet or medianet capabilities by debranding...i'm wondering what exactly i will lose. i don't use internet on my phone except for when i purchase ringtones (which is what i'm hoping to avoid by figuring out how to use my own music files as ringtones) and sending an occasional mms message. would i not be able to access my phone's internet at all? is there somewhere i can find out exactly what will change if i debrand? thanks for any help!
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.