Data usage at strange hours

Contributor

Data usage at strange hours

Why does my bill show data usage at strange hours, like 1:00 a.m.? I'm definitely not using my phone at 1:00 a.m.!

Message 1 of 13 (3,707 Views)
Professor
Solution
Accepted by ATTDmitriyCM (Community Manager)
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

Re: Data usage at strange hours

Data usage isn't recorded in real time. What you're seeing is an aggregate of usage from earlier in the day.

Message 2 of 13 (3,692 Views)

Re: Data usage at strange hours

The data useage issue is not a new thing.  This has been ongoing and getting worse, not better.  The problem I have is when companies do not make themselves accountable and proactive.  In this case it is at&t and Apple.  Excuses keep changing but the cause and cure do not. They both have well rehearsed HR and Legal responses to point the blame at everyone but the guy in the mirror.  When at&t stops making extra revenue from it they will come up with a miracle cure for the issue.  Customer Service is becoming a thing of the past.  The customer is what keeps the business going.  I would be interested in hearing what the P.U.C. thinks about programmed revenue ( due to the business methods being applied ).  I have in the past been a contractor for at&t installing cell sites.  They have the ability to stop the excess charges if they choose to.

Message 3 of 13 (3,673 Views)
Community Manager

Re: Data usage at strange hours

Max69 is absolutely correct. Data usage is not reported in real time, reports take place after some time of inactivity, and a lot of times it happens at night.

 

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

 

Thank you,

Dmitriy


Rethink Possible


Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 13 (3,582 Views)
Expert

Re: Data usage at strange hours


lostindallas wrote:

The data useage issue is not a new thing.  This has been ongoing and getting worse, not better.  The problem I have is when companies do not make themselves accountable and proactive.  In this case it is at&t and Apple.  Excuses keep changing but the cause and cure do not. They both have well rehearsed HR and Legal responses to point the blame at everyone but the guy in the mirror.  When at&t stops making extra revenue from it they will come up with a miracle cure for the issue.  Customer Service is becoming a thing of the past.  The customer is what keeps the business going.  I would be interested in hearing what the P.U.C. thinks about programmed revenue ( due to the business methods being applied ).  I have in the past been a contractor for at&t installing cell sites.  They have the ability to stop the excess charges if they choose to.


from the data useage portion of MyATT - note the information on delays ranging from 2 to 5 days for the att network, roaming is a minimum of 2 to 10 days and possibley up to 60 days for the carriers where you where roaming on thier towers when you used it

 

Message 5 of 13 (3,580 Views)
Contributor

Re: Data usage at strange hours

I have similar issue on 31st night ... when my phone was on charging and wifi is on my data usage went up from 130 MB to 1200 MG with in 3 hours (between 3.15 AM to 6.20 AM);

 

Sad thing is first thing on new year my call is to ATT and still waiting on ATT to resolve the issue;

 

Suggestion I received is to pay one additional extra usage for the next 200 MB ($15) and switch my plan to 300MB@ $20 per month;

 

I told the agent that I want to know the reason as I am sure by phone while charging it is on sleep mode and wifi is on; there is no way I used that data and want to get this issue resolved by ATT;

 

I had to call twice and still they are saying there trying to resolve the issue ... I do not understand what type of customer service it is;

 

Thanks

Bhupathi

Message 6 of 13 (3,253 Views)
Expert

Re: Data usage at strange hours

[ Edited ]

bhupathi wrote:

I have similar issue on 31st night ... when my phone was on charging and wifi is on my data usage went up from 130 MB to 1200 MG with in 3 hours (between 3.15 AM to 6.20 AM);

 

Sad thing is first thing on new year my call is to ATT and still waiting on ATT to resolve the issue;

 

Suggestion I received is to pay one additional extra usage for the next 200 MB ($15) and switch my plan to 300MB@ $20 per month;

 

I told the agent that I want to know the reason as I am sure by phone while charging it is on sleep mode and wifi is on; there is no way I used that data and want to get this issue resolved by ATT;

 

I had to call twice and still they are saying there trying to resolve the issue ... I do not understand what type of customer service it is;

 

Thanks

Bhupathi


the majority of smartphones will turn off wifi when the device goes into hibernation charging or not. Manufacturers have determined that wifi is not a required function when the phone is in hibernation and the coding turns off any devices that are not required for the basic function of the phone - aka wifi is not needed for the primary function of the device which is to send and recieve voice calls. Now add to teh fact that data usages is not reported realtime but on off hours and you have the reason

Message 7 of 13 (3,224 Views)
Mentor

Re: Data usage at strange hours

@ATTDmitriyCM, Are you impling that if I used my data connection between the hour of 8-9PM and then turn it off. That ATT might report the data usage between the hour of 3-4AM because of the "delay" in updating usage?

 

I know that my HTC 8X Windows Phones has a WiFi setting that allows my WiFi connection to stay active when the phone is placed in stand-by mode (lockscreen). However, it was ATT that told me the there are apps that will use data even when WiFi is active. This seems like an issue with the apps' developer. That's why I keep my 3G/4G data connection off as much as possible. I'm not giving ATT squat if I don't have to.

Message 8 of 13 (3,134 Views)
Expert

Re: Data usage at strange hours


kevind833 wrote:

@ATTDmitriyCM, Are you impling that if I used my data connection between the hour of 8-9PM and then turn it off. That ATT might report the data usage between the hour of 3-4AM because of the "delay" in updating usage?

 

I know that my HTC 8X Windows Phones has a WiFi setting that allows my WiFi connection to stay active when the phone is placed in stand-by mode (lockscreen). However, it was ATT that told me the there are apps that will use data even when WiFi is active. This seems like an issue with the apps' developer. That's why I keep my 3G/4G data connection off as much as possible. I'm not giving ATT squat if I don't have to.


Actually it can be a lot longer then that if you are roaming. Two to five days if on a att tower, longer if on another carriers tower - two to ten days and up to 60 days is possible

 

Message 9 of 13 (3,122 Views)
Contributor

Re: Data usage at strange hours

That doesn't answer his issue at all. I'm having a similar issue and that's what I was told by the att "Customer Care Specialist/Manager" I haven't had an issue with the data spikes until this month. Explain that. All of a sudden if I don't turn off my cellular data it's going through 1GB a day! Seriously 1GB a day! I can't find out what is using all the data cause at&t made a "genius" move and locked data sense from windows phones. So I have no real root cause and was told my solution is to turn off my cellular data that I pay for, whenever my screen times out. Not a real solution at all if you ask me. 

Message 10 of 13 (2,626 Views)
Community Manager

Re: Data usage at strange hours

Hello jpricetooele,

 

Just wanted to let you know that we received your private message and replied.

 

Thank you,

Dmitriy


Rethink Possible


Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 11 of 13 (2,484 Views)
Voyager

Re: Data usage at strange hours

we are having same problem. same phone and plan for over a year, then in last 3 months lots of data in middle of night.  have called att.  no help.  she said in her opinion 3 mb was too low a plan for a smartphone. they just trying to sell me a new plan??? it was alright plan 3 months ago. 

Message 12 of 13 (1,940 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: Data usage at strange hours

Depending upon your phone, or the applications on your phone, there have been many possible updates that have come out in the last 3 months.  Some of these updates could be instructing your phone to perform data transfers in the middle of the night, like you are seeing.  Some of the most common are is you have an iPhone it might be sending the diagnostic data to Apple.  This is notorious to happen about midnight PST/PDT, so for me here in Chicago, this happens around 2:00am.  iOS itself even performs some downloads/updates "in the background" and can cause your phone to use callular data if these happen to occur when you are not on wifi.


Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 13 of 13 (1,926 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.