For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
RKK's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, December 26th, 2012 8:36 PM

Data block

I purchased 2 LG Expressions for my kids and was told when I bought them that data could easily  be blocked.  When I called the support line (since I couldn't figure out how to do it on my own) I was first told that it couldn't be done and then said there would be a monthly charge to do it.  Is there suppose to be a charge for this, or is it called something else.  The person I spoke with said something else wasn't possible either (transferring phone numbers) so I am wondering if she knows anything at all.  She even said there is nothing in my book that shows me how to do it.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@RKK wrote:

I purchased 2 LG Expressions for my kids and was told when I bought them that data could easily  be blocked.  When I called the support line (since I couldn't figure out how to do it on my own) I was first told that it couldn't be done and then said there would be a monthly charge to do it.  Is there suppose to be a charge for this, or is it called something else.  The person I spoke with said something else wasn't possible either (transferring phone numbers) so I am wondering if she knows anything at all.  She even said there is nothing in my book that shows me how to do it.

data block is free, you need t call them and request it being placed on the phone line. The chargeable option is smart cotnrols. Tell them you want a complete data block on the phone number. The drawback to thsi is they will not be able to send MMS messages with pictures attached, data is require for this. You will need to request it for each number

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

i had a data block and now att said i cant have one the system doesn't recognize it

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

11 years ago

Data blocks can only be had on non-smartphones and quick messaging phones.
Data blocks are not allowed on smartphones.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I suppose they will not formally allow for data block on a smart phone (in my case iPhone 4S). However, last May, I was at Detroit airport to get on a flight to Amsterdam, and wanted to have one quick look at my emails before the flight departed. I spent a half an hour on the phone trying to get my Data turned on.

I will repeat that Data is REQUIRED for smartphones, unless THEY SCREW UP and turn it OFF. Then it somehow happens - at the most inconvenient moment to be sure.

An another issue, as indicated in the picture below, the iPhone 4S actually IS a 3G device, and does NOT become a 4G device based on a cosmetic softwareupdate.

No Data

1 Attachment

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

Where are they advertising in print that the 4S is a 4G device? Never seen it written in any advertisment or speifications sheet. The phone os HSPDA capable though, which is a lot faster then 3G but only on ATT's network

Have no idea of the turn of events that caused what you seen - so cannot comment on it, but have not seen it happen before on a regular phone account

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.