For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
A

• 

25.7K Messages

Monday, January 5th, 2009 7:42 PM

Closed

Connect Tilt to PC without using PC's network connection

I connect my Tilt to my work PC 9 which has ActiveSync., and then if I try to surf anywhere using Mobile IE, it uses the PC's Internet connection instead of its own.

This is really frustrating b/c my work blocks 99.9999% of the Internet. Is there a way to configure my phone to never use the PC's Internet connection...hook to the PC or not? 

Thank You, 

-TheGooch

Accepted Solution

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

15 years ago

In ActiveSync there is a setting for "Allow device to use wireless signal while connected to the pc" or something similar.  Check that option and the phone should still be able to access the cellular data network while connected to the pc.

Scholar

• 

126 Messages

15 years ago

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

15 years ago

Please explain how a utility to turn your phone into a WiFi access point will resolve the issue the OP is having.

Guru

• 

847 Messages

15 years ago

That's odd. I knew that computers can share a phone's internet (ICS), but I never knew it worked the other way around...

Master

• 

1.7K Messages

15 years ago

@Jldnr77 wrote:
That's odd. I knew that computers can share a phone's internet (ICS), but I never knew it worked the other way around...

That actually is how Windows Mobile PDAs have been before Smartphones.  This is so that when the PDA was attached to the PC, Activesync could use the PC's internet connection to download updates for the PDA.  (i.e.: Advantgo downloading new articles to the PDA for offline viewing.)  Activesync has retained this "feature."

I don't know of anyway around this other than to disconnect the Windows Mobile device from the PC.  On my non-phone PDA with a docking station, it was acceptable since the power came from a separate power supply rather than USB. 

• 

25.7K Messages

15 years ago

Well, if it is Activesync making the connection, maybe there is an AS setting that I can use to disable this behavior. I'll look and let you guys know if I find anything. If I don't post here anymore, that means I didn't find an useful setting.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.