Troubleshoot your device issues
tonybessette's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Saturday, July 5th, 2014 5:01 AM

Can you pay off Next early through accelerated payments?

I've read that you can accelerate payments on the Next program to pay off the phone early...and I've also been told that on the phone through 611.....however, I just read a post here in the forum that someone said it must be paid in full, and no accelerated payments.

Who is right, the several people that say you can accelerate payments to pay it off early and the 611 AT&T operators...or the one post I saw that said you can't make parital payment, it MUST be paid off in full?

Before I get locked into a phone on the Next program, I'd like to make SURE which way is the correct way to pay it off early.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

There are not official finance charges, no.

But... you *do* lose your out of contract phone discount of $15 to $20 a month.

Over a two year period this is $600.

Professor

• 

3.2K Messages

9 years ago

@Ziferius wrote:

There are not official finance charges, no.

But... you *do* lose your out of contract phone discount of $15 to $20 a month.

Over a two year period this is $600.

?? Are you saying you lose your "out of contract discount" if you pay off your NEXT plan early? Absolutely not true. The ONLY time you lose your out of contract discount is if you enter into a two year contract. But if you want one, you better hurry. ATT is the only carrier that still offers one and it could disappear at any time.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

7 years ago

I'll tell you why she's asking for two sources: I've found AT&T reps are frequently ignorant at best, lying scoundrels at worst. Today, one told me I'd have hotspot service with my unlimited data plan. A second rep apologized after my hotspot vanished, but said the first was "misinformed." I have two more examples if anyone cares.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I was told "NO' several times that I could not accelerate my payments or put down a larger amount on some months.  Either I stick with the NEXT plan of paying like 23.00 a month towards this insanely too expensive of a phone (still have the iphone6 plus) or pay it off in one lump sum.  I owe over 400.00 on 2 phones and 200.00 on another one that is broken.  I'll never never never again sign up for the NEXT plan.  

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@RedBirdRanch wrote:

I was told "NO' several times that I could not accelerate my payments or put down a larger amount on some months.

You can't.

Either I stick with the NEXT plan of paying like 23.00 a month towards this insanely too expensive of a phone (still have the iphone6 plus) or pay it off in one lump sum.  I owe over 400.00 on 2 phones and 200.00 on another one that is broken.  I'll never never never again sign up for the NEXT plan.  

It's just as insanely too expensive if you paid it off all at once, normal Next payments, originally bought it outright or (if it existed) made accelerated payments.

Next has nothing to do with that.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

AT&T employees lie. I was told by three representatives on the phone that I can pay off my phone early on the BOGO and still get the second one for free, even though the employees at the store told me in order to get the second phone free, you must make installment payments for 24 months on the first phone. They said the store employees were wrong and had misinformation. I even asked them to verify with a supervisor that they are correct, and they came back on the phone and said yes. Now that I paid off the first phone, they are billing me for the second phone, it is not free, and they are sorry for their employees' misinformation and they will make a complaint against the employees. There are even notes on my account what the employees told me and recorded telephone conversations, and they still won't honor the free second phone or reverse the transaction. I am going to Channel 13 News with this and cancelling my AT&T service after 23 years. They are fraudulent and a bunch of liars!!!

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

@TwinsMommy11 The free phone must stay on the Next plan the entire 24 or 30 months in order to get the monthly credit. Yes, you will be charged but you should also see a credit each month. Those credits don't show up for 3-4 bill cycles. The "buy one" phone does not have to stay on Next, it can be paid off at any time. Perhaps you will start getting credits yet or perhaps you paid off the wrong phone. You should have waited to see which phone actually got credits before paying one off.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

I am currently getting credits for the "free" phone.  I haven't gotten my next statement yet.  I did make sure that I was paying off the "Buy One" phone.  But right after I made the payment, I called AT&T back to ask a question about my next bill, and the representative told me I shouldn't have paid off my phone because now I will get charged for the "free" phone.  That's when I asked for a supervisor, and he told me that is true and I needed to keep the phone on the next program.  After reading your response, it appears the first employees were correct and the last one was not and that everything is now fine.  Thank you.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

@TwinsMommy11 I hope everything stays fine. Your free phone credits should not disappear but it is possible something has changed I'm not aware of. Please let us know if the free phone credits stop.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

I paid off the "buy one" phone right after I was told I could and still get the second phone free.  And then minutes later when I called back to ask a question, I was told I shouldn't have paid off the phone.  Amazing if things changed within ten minutes.  To me that is fraud!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.