Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Can You Upgrade One Phone and Swap SIMS with Another?

Highlighted
Mentor

Can You Upgrade One Phone and Swap SIMS with Another?

My wife and I have two phones on AT&T.  Her phone is elgible for an upgrade as her contract expired.  She uses a Razor.  I use a Tilt.  Can't I upgrade her phone to a Fuze and just put my Tilt SIM Card in the Fuze and leave her SIM Card in the Razor.  The only difference is that AT&T's website will display the wrong phone for her phone number.  Is there any other problem I would run into than that?

Message 1 of 5
Master
Solution
Accepted by Former Moderator (Former Moderator)
Accepted by Sentry
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

Re: Can You Upgrade One Phone and Swap SIMS with Another?

No problem doing what you propose.  Even the online picture will straighten itself out when your SIM registers in the new phone and vice versa.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 2 of 5

You can do this with no problem, in fact AT&T would even help you out by changing the IMEI in the system for you.

As long as one line has the new contract you can use the phone you got with the upgrade on any line.

And on the website it always gives you the option to change the photo if it's not the device that you're using.

Basically the contract will be under her line.

Call AT&T and provide them with the right IMEI's for the right lines to ensure that you guys are on the right plans for your device and to ensure its working correctly.

Message 3 of 5
Professor

Not only can this be done, I have done it numerous times......we have 3 phones on our plan.

Word of caution. When I got my BJII in June I used my husband's phone upgrade. Everything went well, until, the morning of the evening my phone arrived, AT&T killed his SIM card in his phone, and he couldn't use it all day. His phone quit working at 8 am.  When I called AT&T they claimed "someone" called and activated my new phone at 10am so they deactivated his card.And the phone did not arrive at my door until about 4pm that afternoon.  Well, as you can imagine I was extremely angry and let them know it.  I was at work and no one in my family called them at 10am.  And the new phone wasn't even here.  Well I had to move all his contacts and then load them to the SIM card that came with my phone, and then put my SIM in the new phone. They didn't even apologize for messing up our service that day.

Like I said, I have done the "upgrade swap" several times, but this is the only time they zapped a SIM card. They didn't say if it was a new procedure. But be aware it could happen.

Message 4 of 5
Master

To make a long story short. the same scenario happened to me. I had received a phone via mail. and it was to be my fathers line. I had been on the phone trying to return it. Also, they had made an error and upgraded my line with the phone and not his. So, I was asked to consent terms and conditions. or whatever it was called. and it was something that had to be done over the phone. I kept sayin I did not understand as I had not ahd to do this in the past. Well, even though I was not going to do it. The person pushed me throughto the automated system. I told them again I was not going to do it and ended up getting disconnected. Found my phone to have a dead sim card ten minutes later. and I had an feeling it had something to do with the phone call. Contacted customer care, they told me I consented. and that I would have to now use the sim card that came with the new phone. thank goodness I had picked up the phone from my dads house..(an hour away from my home) because I would not of had a phone ottherwise. As they said I couldnt use my current sim any longer. I will no longer buy a phone via internet..
@smmonfee wrote:

Not only can this be done, I have done it numerous times......we have 3 phones on our plan.

Word of caution. When I got my BJII in June I used my husband's phone upgrade. Everything went well, until, the morning of the evening my phone arrived, AT&T killed his SIM card in his phone, and he couldn't use it all day. His phone quit working at 8 am.  When I called AT&T they claimed "someone" called and activated my new phone at 10am so they deactivated his card.And the phone did not arrive at my door until about 4pm that afternoon.  Well, as you can imagine I was extremely angry and let them know it.  I was at work and no one in my family called them at 10am.  And the new phone wasn't even here.  Well I had to move all his contacts and then load them to the SIM card that came with my phone, and then put my SIM in the new phone. They didn't even apologize for messing up our service that day.

Like I said, I have done the "upgrade swap" several times, but this is the only time they zapped a SIM card. They didn't say if it was a new procedure. But be aware it could happen.

Message 5 of 5
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support