Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Can I re-activate an old Nokia phone that still works, that used to be on AT&T?

Contributor

Can I re-activate an old Nokia phone that still works, that used to be on AT&T?

Hi!

I would like my teenage son to have my old Nokia 2610 phone (which still works and has the 3G Sim Card) for emergencies. Can I re-activate it and put it on a pay-by-the-minute plan?

Thank you!

Message 1 of 5
ACE - Professor

Re: Can I re-activate an old Nokia phone that still works, that used to be on AT&T?

I don't think AT&T allows activations on older, 3G-only phones, at this point.

You're better off getting him a Nokia One, for $50-60 (unlocked price), or something similar, with 4G/LTE and a decent display/touch-screen, IMHO.

*If this (or another post in this thread) fixes your problem/issue, please mark it as "accept-solution", and I'll tag it, to make it easier for others to find the answer(s). FYI: I'm an AT&T end-user, just like most of us in the forum. Thanks.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 5
Contributor

Re: Can I re-activate an old Nokia phone that still works, that used to be on AT&T?

Thanks for your advice! Do you happen to have a link indicating that? I'll give up if I can't get it to work, but I'm willing to work on it if there's a way..

Message 3 of 5
ACE - Sage
Solution
Accepted by ACE - Sage (ACE - Sage)
Accepted by lizdance40
‎01-11-2019 9:30 AM

On pay per use, yes, you still can add 3g phones.  Understand it won’t work in about 2 years.  

HOWEVER, the Nokia 2610 is a 2g phone .   ATT doesn’t have a 2g network anymore.  

https://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_2610-1525.php

you can pick up a 3g flip phone at a company store or Best Buy.  

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 4 of 5
ACE - Professor

@lizdance40Good catch on the old(er) phone, I didn't even consider the 2G thing...

@braintalk42Here's a good article about the 2G change: https://www.engadget.com/2017/01/17/att-shuts-down-2g-network/

3G isn't far behind, in theory, I'd sure be looking at the cheap 4G/LTE phone, if it were me...

*If this (or another post in this thread) fixes your problem/issue, please mark it as "accept-solution", and I'll tag it, to make it easier for others to find the answer(s). FYI: I'm an AT&T end-user, just like most of us in the forum. Thanks.

Message 5 of 5
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support