Blocked calls and texts

Blocked calls and texts

I blocked two numbers from my and my son's phone from calling and/or receiving messages.  One of the numbers is an AT&T customer and one is a Verizon customer.  Do they know they have been blocked, and if so how are they aware of being blocked?

Message 1 of 12 (99,835 Views)
Highlighted
Former Community Manager
Solution
Accepted by jamileh (Former Community Manager)
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

Re: Blocked calls and texts

If a person you've blocked tries to call his phone number, they will typically hear a message stating the person is not available at this time. 

When they try to text, they'll get a message that the number is not accepting messages at this time. Non AT&T customers do not get a response. 

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 12 (99,553 Views)
Teacher

how do you block a caller or specific number from calling or texting?

Message 3 of 12 (97,814 Views)

Ok, I am an AT&T customer. What I want to KNOW is how can a person leave a VM if  their NUMBER IS BLOCKED? NO ONE seems to know and I am going to cancel this phone if I dont get an answer! ALso, I don't UNDERSTAND why AT&T charges 1.99 to call 911 IN AN EMERGENCY! THAT IS RIDICULOUS! Very UNHAPPY  RIGHT NOW! I used the reject phne number feature!

Message 4 of 12 (96,931 Views)
Former Community Manager

[ Edited ]

I'm sorry you're so frustrated, I'm sure we can help. 

Can you tell me a bit more about the "reject phone number" feature you used? If a phone number is truly blocked, the caller will not be able to leave a voicemail but if you're hitting "decline" or using a "reject call" list on your phone, that does not block the number it just means you won't get a call. The caller will still be able to leave voicemail. 

In regards to the charge for a 911 call, can you give me some additional information? Are you seeing a $1.99 charge on your bill after calling 911? Each monthly bill does include a Government Fee and Surcharge related to 911 services.

You may be interested in our Smart Limits feature if you need to block numbers from calling your phone. Here is some additional information:  http://www.att.net/smartcontrols-SmartLimitsForWireless#none

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Message 5 of 12 (96,895 Views)
Contributor

If I block a number from my child's phone will my child know if they call that number?
Message 6 of 12 (89,805 Views)
Contributor

So the question is still the same. I have blocked the number on my phone by going to the contacts and clicking 'Block this Caller'

I never get texts or calls or anything, but I do end up with a voicemail. 

YES it is blocked correctly. NO it is not a different number, I tested it with a friend.

The only answer I can find is "Well, if it is blocked it should work."

Message 7 of 12 (67,920 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have the same exact problem as "monsterteeths" & still haven't found an acceptable resolution with AT&T. I've had my account for around 20 years so I'm not eager to jump ship for this situation (AT&T bought my original cell provider around 15 years ago) so I would prefer to resolve this and without it costing ME money.

This JUST happened this morning... 04 19 14...I keep getting a hang-up caller (wireless telemarketer) from this number: 312-**** from someone in Chicago, IL. 

They usually pelt my phone with hang up calls so I finally added their number to the REJECT list on my phone this week.

Guess what, now the Reject caller goes to my voicemail! What the heck??

Some guy left a message wanting to know how many kids I have & how many have been vaccinated??!

I barely use my phone & don't give it out very often so I have no idea how he got my number....I'm no where near Chicago, IL

If you Reject a number they should not be able to go to your voicemail!

...and "Smart Limits", if that's the only true BLOCKING method, costs $4.99 a month...PER LINE...so if you have more than one phone number on your plan...it's $4.99 PER PHONE....and it has several features geared more toward your kids that has features I don't need...why should customers have to pay hard hard earned money to BLOCK telemarketers/spammers/stalkers from leaving messages on our voicemail?....a Rejected number should be Rejected ...period...the caller should NOT be allowed to go to our Voicemail, for pete's sake.

Caller Blocking should be a separate feature like Purchase Blocking is...and that's FREE, according to the AT&T web site. 

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Message 8 of 12 (61,574 Views)
Contributor

So long as you know the caller well, it won't be a problem. If they are crazy however, and realize they have been blocked, the person may start to stalk the other person, as this seen as the best way to reach the person.....
Message 9 of 12 (37,323 Views)
Contributor

If someone is not a AT&T customer and your not sure who their provider is how can I tell if I have been blocked from their phone

Message 10 of 12 (24,665 Views)
Contributor

How do I block numbers for calling or texting me?
Message 11 of 12 (10,246 Views)
Contributor

I think a number got accidentally blocked on my iPhone. How can I see a list of numbers that have been blocked? And is there a way to unblock a number on my iPhone?
Message 12 of 12 (7,121 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.