For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
JerseyGirl59's profile

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

Saturday, July 30th, 2011 3:12 PM

Blackberry Curve Data Plan

Not sure if this is in the proper forum or not...

I have a Blackberry Curve 8310 that I previously used with my ATT account. My son found it and wants to use it.  He now has a phone with an unlimited data plan and we have the family unlimited messaging plan.  I know when I used the Blackberry, I had to sign up for the Blackberry Data plan at $30 a month....my son's data plan is only $10 a month because we have the family messaging. If he starts using the Blackberry, will I need to switch to another data plan that costs more or will be still be able to use the plan he has?  Also, if he can use it, all I need to do is switch the SIM card over to the Blackberry, correct?  He's 13 and thinks it would be cool to have the Blackberry (since it is just sitting in a drawer) but I am not going to spend more money for him to use it.

Thank you!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

13 years ago

@JerseyGirl59 wrote:

Not sure if this is in the proper forum or not...

I have a Blackberry Curve 8310 that I previously used with my ATT account. My son found it and wants to use it.  He now has a phone with an unlimited data plan and we have the family unlimited messaging plan.  I know when I used the Blackberry, I had to sign up for the Blackberry Data plan at $30 a month....my son's data plan is only $10 a month because we have the family messaging. If he starts using the Blackberry, will I need to switch to another data plan that costs more or will be still be able to use the plan he has?  Also, if he can use it, all I need to do is switch the SIM card over to the Blackberry, correct?  He's 13 and thinks it would be cool to have the Blackberry (since it is just sitting in a drawer) but I am not going to spend more money for him to use it.

Thank you!

he would need o switch to a smartphone data plan, 15.00for 200mb or 25.00 for 2GB

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

13 years ago

Forgot to mention.....it is a Blackberry Curve 8310

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

13 years ago

Thanks!  That's what I was afraid of lol

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

13 years ago

@JerseyGirl59 wrote:

Thanks!  That's what I was afraid of lol

Doesn't look like you're going to budge, which means no BlackBerry? 😉 It'd only be an extra $5 a month for the 200MB data allowance, but if your son is used to unlimited non-smartphone data, he'll probably blaze right through 200MB thinking it's unlimited and then you will either have to upgrade the data plan by yet another $10 or pay possible overage fees if he is not careful with his usage.

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

13 years ago

LOL I have to check back over his data usage and see how he's done.  I'm just afraid that he will end up using the data part more than he does now if he knows it's there.  I think he usually just texts on his phone now. He can access the internet, but I don't think he does.  I guess I could set up parental controls and block him past the alloted plan data but that's going to be another $5 a month to add the parental controls.  I like the unlimited.  I have it grandfathered from before on my iPhone, since we've had AT&T for over 10 years.  I worry he'll be using FB on the Blackberry and that will eat up the data limits.  Gonna have to think this one over.  I'm not even sure I still have the charger for it anyway.   He just wants to feel more grown up! Darn teens! Smiley Tongue

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

13 years ago

Right, keep an eye on his data usage if he were to use the BlackBerry. Kids; they do the darndest things. 😉

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.