Troubleshoot your device issues
Smurfette27's profile

Master

• 

4.2K Messages

Sunday, December 7th, 2008 12:16 AM

Closed

Best Buy for Phone service?

Recently I stopped into my local best buy store. I asked what made them different than purchasing directly at a corporate store.

They boast that the wireless insurance is better. And that you will receive a new device if replaced, iinstead of a typical refurbed. Also, they're telling me that I will find  better discounts on the phones than I will in the corporate stores. Even when it is time for an upgrade they're supposed to have the best deals available..
What is everyones experience with Best Buy and their new wireless phone department?
I'm interested in any experience, regardless of what wireless provider was chosen.

Accepted Solution

Scholar

• 

65 Messages

15 years ago

I checked online at Best Buy, and here are the terms I found when pretending to buy a new phone: (found Here)

Your phone purchase price was reduced by an Equipment Discount of $200 ($300 for PDA's/smart phones). By accepting this price reduction, you agreed to repay this discount if, during the 181 days after your new equipment is activated, you:
Fail to pay your balance due to AT&T each month
Disconnect this AT&T line of service
Transfer this equipment to another AT&T line of service
Change your AT&T service rate plan to a lower monthly service rate
Deactivate the email/data feature if one was required at the point of purchase
Transfer/port an existing phone number from another AT&T account if this is a new line of service
Replace an existing account with AT&T with this account if this is a new line
Return or exchange your phone and it is not in its original, new condition with no more than 30 minutes of usage
If you break any of these contract provisions, except as a result of a documented service quality issue related to the carrier service, you authorize us to charge your credit card in repayment of the Equipment Discount.

Master

• 

7.1K Messages

15 years ago

@Smurfette27 wrote:
Recently I stopped into my local best buy store. I asked what made them different than purchasing directly at a corporate store.

They boast that the wireless insurance is better. And that you will receive a new device if replaced, iinstead of a typical refurbed. Also, they're telling me that I will find  better discounts on the phones than I will in the corporate stores. Even when it is time for an upgrade they're supposed to have the best deals available..
What is everyones experience with Best Buy and their new wireless phone department?
I'm interested in any experience, regardless of what wireless provider was chosen.

Consider their terms and conditions.  The ETF may not only be ATT's but also best buys.  there may be penalties if you change you plan from the original one that was purchased.  Even if your change involves increasing your minutes. 

Make sure you read their fine print not just the ATT contract as both apply.  What I stated above may or may not apply to a Best Buy contract but are conditions that other third parties have used.

Master

• 

4.2K Messages

15 years ago

That is an excellent point. I will review their terms of service before committing to anything. I have such bad luck with everything. that I may save myself some hassle if I just purchase directly through the corporate stores.

@youngjm wrote:

@Smurfette27 wrote:

Consider their terms and conditions.  The ETF may not only be ATT's but also best buys.  there may be penalties if you change you plan from the original one that was purchased.  Even if your change involves increasing your minutes. 

Make sure you read their fine print not just the ATT contract as both apply.  What I stated above may or may not apply to a Best Buy contract but are conditions that other third parties have used.

Master

• 

4.2K Messages

15 years ago

Thank you.. that suddenly changes my tune about best buy. the agreement is too much of a commitment for me. If I were in need to save money, and had to drop my data plan or even decided to early terminate. I would be responsible for too much.  And from what I have seen at the store.. It looks like the difference is you get instant rebates. where at the corporate stores they do the mail in rebates.  Also, there's more of a chance to have an activation fee waived if you go to a corporate store instead of the Best Buy stores. Looks like I will save more money in the long run through corporate and have more freedom.

caseyhammerhead wrote:
I checked online at Best Buy, and here are the terms I found when pretending to buy a new phone: (found Here)

Your phone purchase price was reduced by an Equipment Discount of $200 ($300 for PDA's/smart phones). By accepting this price reduction, you agreed to repay this discount if, during the 181 days after your new equipment is activated, you:
Fail to pay your balance due to AT&T each month
Disconnect this AT&T line of service
Transfer this equipment to another AT&T line of service
Change your AT&T service rate plan to a lower monthly service rate
Deactivate the email/data feature if one was required at the point of purchase
Transfer/port an existing phone number from another AT&T account if this is a new line of service
Replace an existing account with AT&T with this account if this is a new line
Return or exchange your phone and it is not in its original, new condition with no more than 30 minutes of usage
If you break any of these contract provisions, except as a result of a documented service quality issue related to the carrier service, you authorize us to charge your credit card in repayment of the Equipment Discount.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.