For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
samk5310's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, November 24th, 2010 6:18 PM

Being Charged for Data Plan when Sim card isn't activated for it

I know the ATT has forced Smart phone users into using a Data plan. I pay for one

on my 4G and I don't have a problem with it. My son had a LG Neon that he was having

all sorts of problems with so after I upgraded, we put his sim card into my 3g and has been using it.

Now Im being billed for a data plan that wasn't activated, nor requested for. We pay for unlimited text

so that data is taken care of, He can only get his e-mail if he is on a wifi connection at home, which we are already

paying for. Am I missing somewhere where ATT is sending data t the phone that I'm not already paying for in one way or another?

Accepted Solution

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

13 years ago

@samk5310 wrote:

Yes but being charge for functionality that isnt available is pretty lame.

He cant use it other than wifi which ATT is already being paid for.

So the fact that AT&T can do it doesnt mean they should. His contract is up also

so he will have to decide to upgrade to a new phone and if it is a smart phone

get the data plan of his choice or move on to another carrier

I'm not sure I'm following you - what do you mean that the data functionality isn't available to your son who is now using your old iPhone 3G?  He can't access the internet, etc. even if he tries doing so on the iPhone?  (You state he only gets his e-mail via WiFi - is this because he can't access e-mail while using at&t's cellular data service?)  I take it that you may have had a data block on your son's line of service when he was using the LG Neon that may still be in place?

Virtual is correct - and whether it's "right" for at&t to be able to do so or not, they do currently require a smartphone data plan on any line that is using a smartphone.  So if your son's cellular data service doesn't work, you need to contact customer service (1-800-331-0500) and have them fix the issue so he can utilize the service you are paying for.  Plus the iPhone always required a data plan, so at least imho it would be difficult for you to make an argument that you should be able to transfer that smartphone which you owned prior to the Sept. 2009 data plan requirement to another line of service within the same account without initiating the mandatory data plan requirement.

Guru

• 

1K Messages

13 years ago

@samk5310 wrote:

I know the ATT has forced Smart phone users into using a Data plan. I pay for one

on my 4G and I don't have a problem with it. My son had a LG Neon that he was having

all sorts of problems with so after I upgraded, we put his sim card into my 3g and has been using it.

Now Im being billed for a data plan that wasn't activated, nor requested for. We pay for unlimited text

so that data is taken care of, He can only get his e-mail if he is on a wifi connection at home, which we are already

paying for. Am I missing somewhere where ATT is sending data t the phone that I'm not already paying for in one way or another?

There. Remember that if AT&T detects that you're using an iPhone, Blackberry or smartphone without a Data Plan then they can add one at any moment to that line. That's what happened, you put your son's SIM card in your iPhone 3G, AT&T detected that the line was using that model of phone without a Data Plan and added it.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

13 years ago

Yes but being charge for functionality that isnt available is pretty lame.

He cant use it other than wifi which ATT is already being paid for.

So the fact that AT&T can do it doesnt mean they should. His contract is up also

so he will have to decide to upgrade to a new phone and if it is a smart phone

get the data plan of his choice or move on to another carrier

Contributor

• 

1 Message

13 years ago

So, where in my contract does it say that if I purchase a smart phone on the secondary market that ATT has the right to force a data plan onto the account.  I have a son that uses a iPhone 3G for voice and texting.  AT&T already made their money off this device from the original purchaser.  I do not want a 13 year old to have unlimited access to the internet.  I have been paying ATT for the parental limits in order to prevent any unsupervised surfing.  Also, instead of notifying me, the account holder, they send a text to my son saying they have forced internet on the phone.  This is just wrong.  And of course, instead of the cheapest plan, ATT forces a more expensive option on the account.  When I call the support liine, they tell me it is due to the contract with Apple.  Which is total stupidity.  I never signed a contract with Apple, my contract was with ATT.  I wish I could force my mortgage contract onto ATT just because.  And now, because of the monopoly that ATT has in northwestern Michigan, I am screwed if I want my son to have any sort of technology at a decent price.  Thanks for nothing ATT.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

13 years ago

@mike4nancy wrote:

So, where in my contract does it say that if I purchase a smart phone on the secondary market that ATT has the right to force a data plan onto the account.  I have a son that uses a iPhone 3G for voice and texting.  AT&T already made their money off this device from the original purchaser.  I do not want a 13 year old to have unlimited access to the internet.  I have been paying ATT for the parental limits in order to prevent any unsupervised surfing.  Also, instead of notifying me, the account holder, they send a text to my son saying they have forced internet on the phone.  This is just wrong.  And of course, instead of the cheapest plan, ATT forces a more expensive option on the account.  When I call the support liine, they tell me it is due to the contract with Apple.  Which is total stupidity.  I never signed a contract with Apple, my contract was with ATT.  I wish I could force my mortgage contract onto ATT just because.  And now, because of the monopoly that ATT has in northwestern Michigan, I am screwed if I want my son to have any sort of technology at a decent price.  Thanks for nothing ATT.

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/legal/index.jsp?q_termsKey=wirelessCustomerAgreement&q_termsName=Wireless%20Customer%20Agreement#whatAreVoiceDataPlanReq

A voice plan is required on all voice-capable Devices, unless specifically noted otherwise in the terms governing your plan.

An eligible tiered pricing data plan is required for certain Devices, including iPhones and other designated Smartphones. Eligible voice and tiered pricing data plans cover voice and data usage in the U.S. and do not cover International voice and data usage and charges. If it is determined that you are using a voice-capable Device without a voice plan, or that you are using an iPhone or designated Smartphone without an eligible voice and tiered data plan, AT&T reserves the right to switch you to the required plan or plans and bill you the appropriate monthly fees. In the case of the tiered data plan, you will be placed on the data plan which provides you with the greatest monthly data usage allowance. If you determine that you do not require that much data usage in a month, you may request a lower data tier at a lower monthly recurring fee.

Quick Messaging device owners must subscribe to an unlimited messaging plan. If it is determined that you are using a Quick Messaging device without an unlimited messaging plan, AT&T reserves the right to add an unlimited messaging plan to your account and bill you the appropriate monthly fee.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.