Troubleshoot your device issues
BigDH's profile

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

Monday, June 17th, 2013 12:07 PM

Battery Drain & Hi Data Usage

If anybody has been having bad battery drain problems and high data usage, I just thought I would put this post out there. It was happening to me I noticed not only was something draining my battery faster than normal but it was even getting hot (not warm) hot! So long story short, I found that the Xbox LIVE settings were turned on and I’m not much of a gamer so how it got turn on I don’t know but turning it off made big difference, so if your not using Xbox LIVE turn it off. (Settings – Applications – Games)

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Employee

• 

581 Messages

11 years ago

Well hello BigDH and thank you for that awesome tip!  Keep them coming!!  Smiley Wink

~Delia

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

I've attempted to post this as it's own question, but the website continues to rfresh.

For the past year that I have had this phone, I have never exceeded 10% of my 1G data allotment.

For the past two weeks, my data usuage has suddenly gone over 68%.

Calling ATT has been NO HELP. I've read posts about apps runing in the backgorund, but when I check - none are running. I have made any changes, not downloaded any new apps or have not changed my behavior with my phone during this time, but suddenly my phone is sucking data.

I had the phone turned OFF last night and the data usuage online today shows data used during those hours, including a text which was never made/received.

The last call to ATT they said my phone needs to be reset to factory defaults, and thereby lose all personalized information. I've not only turned the phone off, I've removed the battery. No way it can use data now. We'll see what ATT website says now.

I've read other posts about games running in the background, but I don't use games on my phone. Only phone calls, occasional text and occasional collect email. The phone sits on my desk all day and uses wi-fi not 3G/4G.

Now what?

Professor

• 

3.1K Messages

11 years ago

@2013SMD wrote:

Now what?

If you turn off cellular data, it won't use any. That is the only "total control" you have. AT&T can't do anything, as it is your device that is using data, for whatever reason.

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

Truning off cellular data did nothing. The ATT site showed data still being used.

Even with the phone OFF, it wtill showed data being used.

I finally took out the battery.

After reading several posts of people with the same problem, I went into a physical store and they replaced my phone saying the ATT person I first spoke to, especially when I outlined everything, should have suggested this.

Now we'll see.

Professor

• 

3.1K Messages

11 years ago

@2013SMD wrote:

Truning off cellular data did nothing. The ATT site showed data still being used.

Even with the phone OFF, it wtill showed data being used.

I finally took out the battery.

After reading several posts of people with the same problem, I went into a physical store and they replaced my phone saying the ATT person I first spoke to, especially when I outlined everything, should have suggested this.

Now we'll see.

Turning off Celluar Data did nothing? Wow, that's amazing - I wonder how it used cellular data even with cellular data turned off?

Sounds like a really weird failure mode. What phone was this, anyway?

Community Support

• 

2.7K Messages

11 years ago

Hi 2013SMD,

We received your private message and one of our managers will be reaching out to you shortly.

Thanks!

Nicole K.

AT&T Social Media Manager

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

I have had the same problem with intermittent high data usage. I use my phone very little so I subscribed to the 200 mb data plan. In the past two years, I have never gone over the limit with the exception of 2 times when the system suddenly reported extremely high usage. In fact, in just two days, ATT reported that I used 12.5 GB of data.. It is simply impossible that I used this data myself as nothing changed in the period between low usage and high usage. I too am home most days and I just don't use the phone for anything. Most of the time it is sitting dead in my purse.

ATT solution was to reset the phone and upgrade me to the 3 GB plan to recalulate what was going to be $900 in overage charges. They refused to give me any other credits and I still ended up having to pay an extra $200 with the plan changes and recalculated overage. I can't wait for my contract to be over in September so that I can quit this company.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

I use an HTC 8X on the Verizon network and I am having the same issue. The Data Sense app that comes with Windows Phone 8 reports that I have had almost 3 GB of data usage for my ATT POP3 email account in the past couple of weeks. This is more than 10 times normal. I finally set the account only to sync manually and my data usage almost stopped. When I do manually sync this email account, which I now do only when I have a wifi connection, it takes forever. With other email accounts it is a matter of a few seconds at most. The issue appears to be with recent changes ATT Yahoo has made to its email services.

Professor

• 

3.1K Messages

11 years ago

POP is a pretty bad email protocol, if you can avoid it, I would.

Mentor

• 

26 Messages

11 years ago

The battery on my new Nokia 920 was giving me fits for the first several weeks....sometimes draining completely in just a few hours while the phone was "asleep," and other times, taking days to drain down. It was very unpredictable and very frustrating!

After much experimentation, I found a solution that has worked great for me for over a month now: I turned OFF the NFC function. Everything else is ON -- from WiFi to cellular to multiple background apps. battery app, etc.

I now consistently (unless I'm doing intesive web searching or similar stuff) show a 1%/hour battery drain. My battery app actually shows an average battery drain of 1.05%/hour over the past 30 days.

Just my 2-cents here....but this has worked well for me.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.