For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
emburybrett's profile

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

Sunday, December 9th, 2012 3:29 PM

At&t MMS sending limit?

I just came back to At&t and knew when I was on Verizon the sending limit was 1.2 MB and now that I'm setting up ChompSMS (My Texting app) I need to know the limit it. I went and did a google search for it and see that back in 2009-2011 it seems like it was 300KB is that still the case? If so why is it still so low when CDMA can do 1.2MB?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

13K Messages

11 years ago

The terms and conditions do not specify the size limitation for MMS, all they state is "AT&T reserves the right to change the Picture/Video message size limit at any time without notification.", this can be found in section 6.5, paragraph 1 of the terms and conditions here Link 1. However this link here states that the current size limitation is 600KB as  Dcookie stated earlier. Link 2

What are the Supported Multimedia Message (MMS) File Types and Size Limitations?

The AT&T mobile broadband network will deliver MMS (picture, video or audio) messages of up to 600 kilobytes (KB). Media file attachments will be compressed on the device prior to being sent in order to keep the message size below 600 KB. The maximum size for sending and receiving MMS messages is also dependent upon the recipient's device and the limitations of other carriers' networks (e.g., other carriers may have a lower MMS size limit than AT&T).

Compatible network and device file types

NOTE: Compatible file types vary from device to device. Please visit att.com/learningcenter to determine the specifications of your device.

Image files come in several formats. The type of phone used determines the kind of image files that can be viewed. Some supported image formats are:

• JPEG (Baseline JPEG)
  • GIF 87a (still images)
  • GIF89a (animated images)
  • WBMP (Wireless bitmap still images)
  • BMP (still images)
  • PNG (still images)
  • WBMP (animated images)  

Audio files come in several formats. The type of phone used determines the kind of audio files that can be played back. Some supported audio formats are:

• MIDI
  • iMelody
  • AMR
  • SP

Video files come in several formats. The type of phone used to send and receive the video determines the kind of video files that can be played back (please review the device specifications). Some supported video formats are:

• H.263
  • MPEG4

More information about messaging can be found at http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/messaging-internet/messaging/index.jsp.

Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

11 years ago

@emburybrett wrote:
I just came back to At&t and knew when I was on Verizon the sending limit was 1.2 MB and now that I'm setting up ChompSMS (My Texting app) I need to know the limit it. I went and did a google search for it and see that back in 2009-2011 it seems like it was 300KB is that still the case? If so why is it still so low when CDMA can do 1.2MB?

I believe it is now 600 KB and has been for some time. 

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

11 years ago

Only 600KB? I thought that GSM was supposed to better then CDMA so why is it so low compared to Verizon it's 1/2 of Verizon.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

Has nothing to do with GSM versus CDMA.  T-Mobile uses GSM and allows 1MB.  MMS is handled by servers which can (and obviously do) limit the size of messages passing through them.  Since AT&T has to cache the MMS attachments on their own servers, I see the rationale for the size limit.  For its part, AT&T probably prefers that larger media be sent via email which simply uses AT&T data and other provider's servers.

That said, I would lobby AT&T to allow larger messages even if that meant a day or two shorter cache time (though I have no idea how long the attachments are cached.)  1MB or 1.2MB to match other services, or 2MB which is the average size of a fine-quality 8.1mega-pixel picture.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

I miss phone I get in Taiwan because it let send message all to size 10mb. But stupit USA carrier only allow word or video in quality bad so much it not really a video

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

I miss phone I get when I in Taiwan because it get 10mb limit send video, somg, or text to other phone. I not understand why USA not allow any size that measure even. It so small they might well say you not able send file anyway.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

5 years ago

I am sending a 377kB image via SMS. The image is a screenshot and its not even one taken with a camera. Resolution size is 1080x2280 at 2.5MP and the recipient gets a pixelized image. In fact, in the txt box, when I click on it it shows how badly degraded it is. When I save the image and check the details it shows the image to be 62kB at 303x640 resolution with 0.2MP. What is the deal here?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.