Troubleshoot your device issues
robertkjr3d's profile

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

Tuesday, May 7th, 2013 4:50 PM

Are there any good no data plan required phones left?

I'm looking for a phone for my wife.  We agreed that we not put a data plan on her phone.  But there is nothing decent available as far as a phone.  I would like to get her one that has a decent camera on it.  But it seems that they are forcing everyone to go with a data-plan, because all the phones are from like 2001 or earlier, and are like flip-phones.  The other possiblity is to go with a go-phone.  But I haven't explored that concept much.  We are currently on a family-plan, so we would then need to be on individual plans, which in the end might be more expensive.  Is there any way we can game the system?  Ideally I would like a phone that would work with wifi, but at&t has their eyes on those as well, and will automatically put the data plan even if I buy from ebay I'm told.

Former Moderator

• 

773 Messages

11 years ago

robertkjr3d,

Here is a link from ATT showing a few phones where a data plan is not required.

Basic phones (no data plan required)

James

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

11 years ago

I think the keyword there was 'good'.  I realize that it is subjective.  But the best camera of the bunch is 3mb pixels.  Again like my text I said above.  It is like they were designed in 2001 or something, not 2013.  Perhaps 2001 is a bit of an exaggeration.  Maybe 2005.  Pantech Renue is almost ok, but to spend $100, we should be doing better. ...(oh and for $100, might as have added a data plan, and gone for a real phone)

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@robertkjr3d wrote:

I think the keyword there was 'good'.  I realize that it is subjective.  But the best camera of the bunch is 3mb pixels.  Again like my text I said above.  It is like they were designed in 2001 or something, not 2013.  Perhaps 2001 is a bit of an exaggeration.  Maybe 2005.  Pantech Renue is almost ok, but to spend $100, we should be doing better. ...(oh and for $100, might as have added a data plan, and gone for a real phone)

depends on the bells and whisltes you want, a great basic phone is the rugby iii, but it does not have all the toys on it that you want.

You want basic, the phones are basic, you want bells and whitles then add a data plan.

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

11 years ago

Rugby iii after contract is $100 no deal.. Seems a lot to spend for junky fone.

Professor

• 

1.8K Messages

11 years ago

@robertkjr3d wrote:

Rugby iii after contract is $100 no deal.. Seems a lot to spend for junky fone.

The selection of no-data phones is indeed shrinking. If this trend continues, there would be no more feature phones in the future.Smiley Wink

You could take a look at the Nokia Asha series, like the 311 or 303 that are not supported by AT&T so that you will DIY the APN setting yourself to make texting work for you.

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

11 years ago

Hmm this is the direction that I like this topic to go in...  I checked out these two phones.  The 311 was given a scathing review on Cnet.  The 303 a little better.  But both with camera specs extremely sub par.  But interestingly, at one time these were considered smart-phones (in the uk).  Are there written rules... to keep under the unsupported, but 'no data' concept?

Professor

• 

1.8K Messages

11 years ago

@robertkjr3d wrote:

Hmm this is the direction that I like this topic to go in...  I checked out these two phones.  The 311 was given a scathing review on Cnet.  The 303 a little better.  But both with camera specs extremely sub par.  But interestingly, at one time these were considered smart-phones (in the uk).  Are there written rules... to keep under the unsupported, but 'no data' concept?

If you're looking for one with a better camera, the Nokia Asha 300 has a better camera as I recall at the moment. But then the 300 does not have a qwerty keyboard and it has a smaller screen. I doubt if you can get a phone with a great camera until you get to the over $300 price range. 

As for the written rules, I don't have the links at the moment. Perhaps someone can point to the links.

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

11 years ago

I've been reading:  Some people are able to purchase say a T-mobile phone like this one: t-mobile phone and then not using the 3/4g portion.  Or are the people doing this, just not following 'the letter of the (at&t) by-laws'?  This would be the most ideal.

{commercial link removed}

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

11 years ago

n/v mind at&t wins.  We are going to cop-out.  We changed our minds, and will accept the $240/year.  We just need a phone that works in 2013, not one from 2005.

Scholar

• 

250 Messages

11 years ago

Unfortunately most of the phones offered now are smartphones.  To get a non-smartphone GoPhone would probably be the best option.  Buy the phone and put her SIM in and go on as usual.  The good point of that would be that the phone would not be under contract and could be upgraded through AT&T at any time if she found a phone she had to have.  It wouldn't need to affect your current plan, just use her current SIM and the plan would stay the same.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.