Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Any way to access Web on the Blackberry Bold without data plan?

Highlighted
Contributor

Any way to access Web on the Blackberry Bold without data plan?

I was told when I bought my Bold that I could use the browser via a Wifi connection to access the web without the data plan, also that I could use AT&T Navigator, but apparently neither is true. Is there a way to get the web on the Bold without the expensive data plan, say with Opera Mini?

Thanks,
John
Message 1 of 16
Scholar

Re: Any way to access Web on the Blackberry Bold without data plan?

You might be able to use AT&T navigator if you have them add the pay per use MediaNet on to the account. The data charges for Navigator should be included in the monthly service. As long as you don't use it for something else, you should be fine. Check with AT&T to be sure.

IT Policy blocks the wifi so I can't help you there.

Regards-Michael G.
Message 2 of 16
Contributor

Yes you can access the web with the Bold using its built-in Wifi. I've been doing it on mine successfully for several days now. Just be sure you go into the managing connections icon and turn on the wifi. After that it will scan for any networks available and connect or you can also tell it to scan yourself. It works very nicely and quite frankly it's faster than using the network to get on the web. That's assuming, however, that you have a fast connection on your wifi network.

You do not, by the way, have to pay anything extra for this feature. The wifi is already built into the phone and you are just simply using a hot spot just the same way as you would with a computer that has a radio card in it. Same thing.

John
Message 3 of 16
Contributor

I get on a Wifi connection OK, but when I go to use the browser on my AT&T Bold I get this message: "You are not currently in an area that can handle data communication. As a result, the Browser cannot retrieve any Web pages." Is the browser itself tied to the data plan somehow?
Message 4 of 16
Contributor

I'm not absolutely positive, but I think you will find that when you get that message it's because your phone is attempting to access the web by way of the AT&T network instead of your wifi connection. I suggest you try going into the managing connections icon and turning off the network and making sure the wifi is turned on. This will ensure that the phone uses only the wifi connection. I hope this will solve your problem, although as I say I'm not 100% sure of it.

John
Message 5 of 16

Right.  It tries to use their WAP Proxy.  And if you don't have a data plan, then you're going to get an error.  Also look at the browser config.  If you have an option other than 'media net' try using that.  Also when you do get that error... just try 'go to' web page instead, and see if that dont work.  The error is from trying to access the 'home page' on 'media net' for which you don't have an account for.
Message 6 of 16

Another way you can check to see if your device is getting on your wi-fi network, is by pinging it's ip address from another device/computer on the same subnet.  That's what I did.  Then I realized that I was getting on the network, but the problem was with the browser config as 'media net'.

Message 7 of 16
Professor

@jstewart25 wrote:
I get on a Wifi connection OK, but when I go to use the browser on my AT&T Bold I get this message: "You are not currently in an area that can handle data communication. As a result, the Browser cannot retrieve any Web pages." Is the browser itself tied to the data plan somehow?

IIRC (I don't have WiFi on my BB) you need to make sure you're using the WiFi/Hotspot browser and not the Internet or Blackberry browser.
Message 8 of 16
Tutor
Solution
Accepted by Former Moderator (Former Moderator)
Accepted by mod.moose
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

Just got a AT&T BlackBerry 9000 Bold w/o any AT&T Data Plan since I'm overseas 2 weeks every month and be able to use the WiFi feature to connect to the Internet - just like what I do now with my Nokia E-71. No problem getting AT&T Tech Support in unlocking the Bold. Now the harder question w/c I thought was an easy one. I cannot connect to the Internet using WiFi. The phone detects and shows that I'm connected to my home wireless router, SSID and all, but that's about it and keep getting, "unable to connect to the internet" message. No problem surfing the net w/ my E-71 using the same wireless router and AT&T SIM card. (Though my E-71 is only month old, I prefer the Bold's keyboard and wider screen.) The AT&T tech who helped me unlock the phone asked me to call BB Tech Support directly but they charge so I was referred back to the "right people" at AT&T Advanced Network Services. I explained to the technician that all I wanted to do was connect to the internet using WiFi and he spent the next 30 minutes trying to sell me an AT&T data plan with reasons such as, "AT&T computers need to detect a data plan before your BB Bold can connect to the internet," and "when you're going overseas you can always sign up with the cheaper AT&T data plan."

Before I return this phone to AT&T is there really no way I can connect to the Internet w/o a data plan from AT&T? It seems others are able to connect by just having WiFi turned on and I've also seen postings in other forums saying they're able to surf even w/o the SIM card - BTW the E71 can do that. I understand the iPhone's requirement for a data plan before you can get one but that was not required on the BlackBerry. It's beginning to look like an AT&T bait-and-switch scheme.

Appreciate any help. - JNR
Message 9 of 16
Mentor

On your 9000, go to Option > Advanced > Browser > Menu > Default Browser Configuration and set it as "HotSpot Browser", and SAVE.

Any luck?

Message 10 of 16
Tutor

NOT SOLVED! 

Default browser configuration:  Hotspot Browser - WiFi still cannot connect to the Internet

Default WAP Browser configuration:  MEdia Net - though I don't think this matters coz

Data services = Off  with Mobile Network = AT&T

On my Main/Home Screen it shows:  AT&T - SSID of my home wireless router, 3G, all bars, and WiFI

On Manage Connections Menu

Check on Mobile Network:  AT&T with a green check mark
Check on Wi-Fi: SSID of my wireless router with a white dash (-)
Uncheck on Blue tooth

I think I've got the BOLD setup right but no joy on connecting to the Internet.

Appreciate the help. - JNR

Message Edited by JNR1028 on 11-23-2008 10:47:41 AM
Message 11 of 16
Tutor

NOW SOLVED!

Need Data Services turned ON.

Now able to connect and surf the Internet even with SIM Card removed.

Message 12 of 16
Contributor

So does that mean I NEED to buy the data plan to get the wifi feature the comes with the phone?
Message 13 of 16
Tutor

You don't need to buy any AT&T data plan to connect the BB Bold to WiFi.  Matter of fact I have barred all AT&T data services to my # because AT&T has auto default data service which will charge you 1 penny ber KB.  I can also surf the Internet w/o a SIM Card installed.

Just make sure:

Manage Connections - Wi-Fi = Checked and connected to Wi-Fi Network (use Manage Connections - Set Up Wi-Fi Network)
Manage Connections - Mobile NetworkOptions - Data Services = ON
Options - Advance Options - Browser - Default Browser Configuration = Hotspot Browser

Best bet is to have the place you got the phone from help you set it up.  I got mine from BestBuy and I gave up and was about to return the phone but the manager of the cell phone dept helped me set it up.

Hope this helps.
Message 14 of 16
Contributor

When you say that you had an AT&T tech unlock your phone, what does that change on the phone, and is it necessary to get Wi-fi working without data, or just the Hotspot browser bit?
Message 15 of 16
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Do you need to fix, replace or track a device? We Can Help With That!

Additional Support