For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
ras360's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Wednesday, August 13th, 2014 4:15 PM

Amazon fire phone -invalid sim!!

I bought my amazon fire phone with the full price (no contract). After I registered the phone and activate my number. I couldn’t get a reception. It look like the international roaming is not working. 

Later on i replaced the att sim with one with the local sim card company in Kuwait since at the moment am not in the state. 

Now the phone it shows a mesg with INVALID SIM. Why is that??? 

atry to call att and amazon, but unfortunately no solution yet and I am stuck with this phone aboard. 

please help !!! it will take me around 8 weeks tell i returen back to the state ?

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

10 years ago

@ras360

Dr. Rayosun, here to do a quick check up on that phone! Hope you are having a nice time in Kuwait!

AT&T is a US carrier and so the service will not work in Kuwait. However there may be partners in the area but you may incur roaming fees if you have no international plan or if you don't use another SIM from a local carrier in Kuwait.

The reason you are seeing "Invalid Sim" is because the Amazon Fire is locked to the AT&T network, meaning it will only work on AT&T until the device is unlocked. To request an unlock, you can do so by going to:

https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

Your phone will be unlocked if you meet the criteria posted on that site. 🙂

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks for the fast replay. i did some search , now just to be clear .. i entered the network pin wrongly  more than 5 times.  what i understand if i do that the phone will be permanently lock into att . is that true ?

because its still showing me invalid sim,  how can i fix this issue ?

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

10 years ago

If you enter the code too many times wrong, it permanently locks the SIM and it will need to be replaced.

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

10 years ago

@ras360 - As mentioned above, if you enter the SIM unlock code too many times, the sim will have to be replaced. 🙂 This would not permanent lock your phone to AT&T! 🙂 Hope that answers your question!

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

What I meant in my previous post is the network unlock code not the sim pin code.

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

10 years ago

You would simply have to get a new SIM if you enter the new code wrongly too many times. You would then be able to enter the code again. 🙂

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks a lot for the reply.

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

10 years ago

Hi @ras360 

You are correct, if you enter the Network Lock code incorrectly too many times, the phone will be permanently locked and there will be no way to try to unlock it in the future. A SIM card pin entered incorrectly, will lock the SIM, which can be replaced, but if the phone Network Lock is permanent, there is no way to go back.

If you're not planning on using this phone with AT&T, you should try to return it as soon as possible, as at this time it's AT&T exclusive and will not be unlocked. You should wait for the unlocked version.

Thanks,

Dmitriy

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

Hello,
I think mine is also permanently lock to at&t service. Any solution to solve it except give it back to service. thank u.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

I have been having this same problem on my new phone just found this post this morning on the amazon site from Feburary. It seems to be the answer. Thank you Rebecca! Why couldn't  the Amazon people figure it out? All their answers seemed to put it on the customer or phone companies back. Not good protocol. Nonetheless, here's the solution.

"I emailed Amazon about this same situation on my Kindle HDX AT&T device today. The problem is most likely NOT with the hardware or the SIM, but with the Kindle software network wake/sleep feature. When you read Kindle books for a long period or the device is not in use, it appears all network capability controlled by the Kindle software/firmware goes to sleep to conserve battery life. The software "wake" feature for Wifi (like your home broadband wireless) and for your mobile (Verizon/AT&T) network doesn't work reliably, since it's either slow to activate or doesn't activate entirely. In order for the device to "wake up" for any networking when you have the invalid SIM and/or a dead wifi network connection (ie, wifi appears to be "connected" but you can't get any content to load in SILK or your Facebook app), you often have to reboot the device to regain any network connectivity either way. "

Amazon's software developers need to fix this - as another poster stated, the long term solution shouldn't be to shut down and restart the device. That's just poorly executed code.

Thank you.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.