Helpful Links

Amazon fire phone -invalid sim!!

Highlighted
Tutor

Amazon fire phone -invalid sim!!

I bought my amazon fire phone with the full price (no contract). After I registered the phone and activate my number. I couldn’t get a reception. It look like the international roaming is not working. 

Later on i replaced the att sim with one with the local sim card company in Kuwait since at the moment am not in the state. 

Now the phone it shows a mesg with INVALID SIM. Why is that??? 

atry to call att and amazon, but unfortunately no solution yet and I am stuck with this phone aboard. 

please help !!! it will take me around 8 weeks tell i returen back to the state ?

Message 1 of 11
ACE - Professor

Re: Amazon fire phone -invalid sim!!

@ras360

Dr. Rayosun, here to do a quick check up on that phone! Hope you are having a nice time in Kuwait!

AT&T is a US carrier and so the service will not work in Kuwait. However there may be partners in the area but you may incur roaming fees if you have no international plan or if you don't use another SIM from a local carrier in Kuwait.

The reason you are seeing "Invalid Sim" is because the Amazon Fire is locked to the AT&T network, meaning it will only work on AT&T until the device is unlocked. To request an unlock, you can do so by going to:

https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

Your phone will be unlocked if you meet the criteria posted on that site. Smiley Happy
~Sunshine Smiley Happy
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 11
Tutor

Thanks for the fast replay. i did some search , now just to be clear .. i entered the network pin wrongly  more than 5 times.  what i understand if i do that the phone will be permanently lock into att . is that true ?

because its still showing me invalid sim,  how can i fix this issue ?

Message 3 of 11
ACE - Expert

If you enter the code too many times wrong, it permanently locks the SIM and it will need to be replaced.

This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 11
ACE - Professor

@ras360 - As mentioned above, if you enter the SIM unlock...

@ras360 - As mentioned above, if you enter the SIM unlock code too many times, the sim will have to be replaced. Smiley Happy This would not permanent lock your phone to AT&T! Smiley Happy Hope that answers your question!
~Sunshine Smiley Happy
Message 5 of 11
Tutor

What I meant in my previous post is the network unlock co...

What I meant in my previous post is the network unlock code not the sim pin code.
Message 6 of 11
ACE - Professor

Re: What I meant in my previous post is the network unlock co...

You would simply have to get a new SIM if you enter the new code wrongly too many times. You would then be able to enter the code again. Smiley Happy
~Sunshine Smiley Happy
Message 7 of 11
Tutor

Thanks a lot for the reply.

Thanks a lot for the reply.
Message 8 of 11
Community Manager

Re: Thanks a lot for the reply.

Hi @ras360 

You are correct, if you enter the Network Lock code incorrectly too many times, the phone will be permanently locked and there will be no way to try to unlock it in the future. A SIM card pin entered incorrectly, will lock the SIM, which can be replaced, but if the phone Network Lock is permanent, there is no way to go back.

If you're not planning on using this phone with AT&T, you should try to return it as soon as possible, as at this time it's AT&T exclusive and will not be unlocked. You should wait for the unlocked version.

Thanks,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 9 of 11
Contributor

Re: Thanks a lot for the reply.

Hello,
I think mine is also permanently lock to at&t service. Any solution to solve it except give it back to service. thank u.

Message 10 of 11
Contributor

I have been having this same problem on my new phone just found this post this morning on the amazon site from Feburary. It seems to be the answer. Thank you Rebecca! Why couldn't  the Amazon people figure it out? All their answers seemed to put it on the customer or phone companies back. Not good protocol. Nonetheless, here's the solution.

"I emailed Amazon about this same situation on my Kindle HDX AT&T device today. The problem is most likely NOT with the hardware or the SIM, but with the Kindle software network wake/sleep feature. When you read Kindle books for a long period or the device is not in use, it appears all network capability controlled by the Kindle software/firmware goes to sleep to conserve battery life. The software "wake" feature for Wifi (like your home broadband wireless) and for your mobile (Verizon/AT&T) network doesn't work reliably, since it's either slow to activate or doesn't activate entirely. In order for the device to "wake up" for any networking when you have the invalid SIM and/or a dead wifi network connection (ie, wifi appears to be "connected" but you can't get any content to load in SILK or your Facebook app), you often have to reboot the device to regain any network connectivity either way. "

Amazon's software developers need to fix this - as another poster stated, the long term solution shouldn't be to shut down and restart the device. That's just poorly executed code.

Thank you.

Message 11 of 11
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?
Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

AT&T Locker is being discontinued on August 3rd. Find out what you need to do.

Additional Support