Troubleshoot your device issues
RP87350's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Thursday, July 28th, 2016 12:46 PM

AT & T 3G band in California

I am traveling to California in August and my European phone SONY XPERIA SP C5303 is only compatible with 3G UMTS 850 MHz band and not with 1900 MHz. Is there a good coverage with this 850 MHz band in California (SF, LA, and rest of California) ? Are both frequencies always available on each relay ?

Thanks for your help

Richard

ACE - Professor

• 

1.7K Messages

8 years ago

Hi,
   As a user ,I can tell you, your 3G Tri band EU phone will not work well in USA at all.
 You will receive service in limited area only.
   It could be full coverage in here, walk for 50 ft and no coverage there.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

8 years ago

I have to agree.  There is no 2G coverage in the US in most places.  California is split between ATT and Verizon. If you get only on band for the US 3G you have little chance to get service. 

You can pick up a cheap  Gophone or borrow a phone for either Verizon or ATT to get service  

please note that ATT phones are sold locked to ATT until service or financial obligations are complete.  Verizon phones are sold unlocked.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

OK for the 2G, but I don't really understand why
you said I have a little chance to get service with only one band.
My son is in California and his phone is only compatible with one
of the 2 bands of T Mobile and he receives 3G and very often H+
connexions mainly in cities and not in National Parks for example
that is true, but it works.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

8 years ago

And what phone does he have?  

You can't get 2G, you have only one 3G band and Zero LTE bands.   That's what your dealing with.  

If your son has the exact same model phone and does well with T-mobile then you should be looking at T-Mobile too.  

It would be irresponsible of me to say it will work when I know your phone only has one 3G band.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.