Troubleshoot your device issues
keepkidssafe's profile

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

Friday, July 3rd, 2015 10:30 PM

A basic phone with no internet access.

I need a phone for my son with no internet access whatsoever.  I have him set up on a plan that allows me to block data but if he has access to wifi he can still access the internet.  I am talking about non smartphones.  I am frustrated and disappointed that AT&T (or anyone else) does not offer a phone that is not wifi enabled.  Even a $9.99 tracfone gives web access!

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

9 years ago

If it has a screen, it probably has internet access. You want to get a flip phone.
My dad prefers them and just replaced his dead, 7 year old, with a flip phone he bought on Amazon for $35. That's cash, no contract or payments. Many people sell off used go phones, which are the only flip phones left on ATT website (z222)

The other option (just to provide complete information, disregard if I'm off the mark). Is an iPhone, like the sturdy 4S. Apple has parental controls that can limit his access to any app you chose including App Store.
He would then have access to music and games you allow, but you can lock out safari, YouTube, etc.

Mentor

• 

63 Messages

9 years ago

I would go with a GoPhone to avoid even the possibilty of Wifi as well as not having to pay for a data plan that you obviously would not use anyway.  The phone is $15 so no need to buy it used, you can get it from http://www.att.com/cellphones/att/z222.html#sku=sku6880347?CAGPSPN=pla&WT.srch=1

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

Thanks to both of you for your replies.  My son only needs a phone when he travels which is about 10 days out of the year so gophone is definitely the way to go.  I just found that you have to be very careful with the phone that you use.  Most phones today - even the $10-$15 flip phones - allow WiFi access.  You can block paid data use on the phone but if a phone allows for WiFi connectivity there is no way to block that access in public places where WiFi is free (i.e. airports).  I had to go with an older (used) phone to find one that did not have WiFi connectivity.  We had an old Pantech Laser laying around that worked.

Then I had to have AT&T block the data to the phone.  FYI for gophones they cannot block this in the store you have to call in and do it over the phone.  This was not explained to me and so the first trip with the phone my son was accessing data.  I gave AT&T an earful as I had carefully explained I needed data blocked and was told it was done.  They credited me the data charges.

I am not sure if the AT&T Z222 has WiFi capability or not.  In the specs it says it does but the salespeople at the AT&T store says it does not.  I had originally tried a $9.99 Tracfone from Walmart and was told that it did not have data access.  That information was incorrect.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

9 years ago

The z222 is a flip phone, with no wifi or data. It's been sold for years.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

We have the same issue. What phone ended up working for you? My stepson is at military school and needs a phone for when he's flying home and back for breaks but needs absolutely no access to the Internet or social media.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

8 years ago

Att doesn't make phones, they can only offer for sale what manufacturers make, and what the consumers will buy.  

It is almost impossible to find an entirely "dumb" phone, because that isn't what most consumers want.

Cheap z222 flip phone has limited access,( email access)  but if you use it on a Gophone account, can have data turned off on the account and put on a pay per use account.   The $2 per day Gophone account sounds like the way to go.  https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/gophone-plans.html

There is no way to turn off data on a postpaid account.

The only other option is to find a very old cell phone.  The problem is finding one old enough to not have Internet, but minimum 3G.   2G phone access is being phased out this year.  

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

du bist yid? im ken hayisi li gam ken habay shelcha. ein yecholes l"ze ha phone liskasher im ha shtusim sham. hatzlacha raba

TracFone Huawei H110C Prepaid Cellular Phone 

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

7 years ago

Cannot translate

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

Yes, need a simple phone with text only, NO WEB, NO Camera!  This is what all of our tweens and teens need, NOT a smartphone.  Advice or suggestions please, i refuse to have my kids enter the current cesspool. Why are phone manufacturers holding everyone hostage.....ya, I know, MONEY!

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

7 years ago

@busymom4  The market for such a device is tiny, no money in it.

The Snapfone EZ 3G might do the trick, but you have to buy from the manufacturer.

It does have a camera.

IMG_6195.PNG

1 Attachment

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.