Explore & discover

Helpful Links

4g sim card in a 2g phone?

Contributor

4g sim card in a 2g phone?

I am going old school this year as part of a tech challenge: one year without a smartphone. I have an iPhone 8, and I'm going to continue making payments on the device and for the phone service, but I will transfer my sim card to an unlocked flip phone. I am unhappy with the selection of modern flip phones (obviously the market is smaller for them, so of course they won't be making a lot), but I found an old Nokia 7070 Prism on ebay for a great price and in refurbished condition. Only problem is it's a 2g phone. I'm only using the device for calls and texting, so if I put my 4g sim card in the 2g phone, will I be able to do those things?

Message 1 of 5
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by ksweezy25
‎01-21-2019 10:20 AM

Re: 4g sim card in a 2g phone?

The 2G phone does not have the proper frequencies to use on 4G. It will not work.

This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 5
ACE - Expert

Not to mention that AT&T has shut down the 2G service altogether…

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 5
Contributor

I understand that, but I was curious if I would be able to have call/text ability on a 4g network.
Message 4 of 5
ACE - Expert

Nope, you need both pieces of equation to get it to work. If you had a 3G phone you likely could have put your 4G SIM card in it and it would function on the 3G network, but if you put a 3G SIM in a 4G phone chances are you'd be limited to 3G as well. As an aside the use of 4G for calls (VoLTE) is only supported on a subset of 4G devices (iPhones, some AT&T branded Android devies), the rest of them will use 3G even with a 4G SIM in a 4G phone.

Message 5 of 5
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements...

Are you Missing Your BOGO Credits? If so, QuarryRye can you help figure out what happened and what to do about it!

Additional Support