Troubleshoot your device issues
ksweezy25's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Monday, January 21st, 2019 5:29 PM

Closed

4g sim card in a 2g phone?

I am going old school this year as part of a tech challenge: one year without a smartphone. I have an iPhone 8, and I'm going to continue making payments on the device and for the phone service, but I will transfer my sim card to an unlocked flip phone. I am unhappy with the selection of modern flip phones (obviously the market is smaller for them, so of course they won't be making a lot), but I found an old Nokia 7070 Prism on ebay for a great price and in refurbished condition. Only problem is it's a 2g phone. I'm only using the device for calls and texting, so if I put my 4g sim card in the 2g phone, will I be able to do those things?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

5 years ago

The 2G phone does not have the proper frequencies to use on 4G. It will not work.

ACE - Expert

• 

6.6K Messages

5 years ago

Not to mention that AT&T has shut down the 2G service altogether…

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

I understand that, but I was curious if I would be able to have call/text ability on a 4g network.

ACE - Expert

• 

6.6K Messages

5 years ago

Nope, you need both pieces of equation to get it to work. If you had a 3G phone you likely could have put your 4G SIM card in it and it would function on the 3G network, but if you put a 3G SIM in a 4G phone chances are you'd be limited to 3G as well. As an aside the use of 4G for calls (VoLTE) is only supported on a subset of 4G devices (iPhones, some AT&T branded Android devies), the rest of them will use 3G even with a 4G SIM in a 4G phone.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.