Troubleshoot your device issues
nupe494's profile

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

Tuesday, June 5th, 2012 4:08 PM

4G Elevate Mobile Hotspot Not Charging

My 4G Elevate is not charging when it's on, a PC is connected to it through WiFi and plugged in to either a USB port or to an A/C outlet. This is quite annoying given I cannot keep it charged and essentially have to turn it off in order to do so. Is this normal?

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

12 years ago

I need help getting answers on this issue.  It seems that after the last firmware update ATT pushed out to the device, this Elevate hotspot will discharge the battery while it is on and in use even though you have the power charger USB cable connected to keep it charged. 
I depend on this connection to stay up and last all day for work and now it only works for about 4 hours and dies requiring you to turn it off in order for it to begin recharging again.  What a farce this firmware update is!  Before this update, I could use it almost continuously when the charger was plugged in!  But they took that away from us now.  Are any of you complaining about this to get a fixed firmware?  When is a new firmware going to be released?  This is terrible service ATT! It's not the way to raise your ratings and customer base.  Please fix this issue ASAP or release to us the choice to go back to the older working firmware.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

I'm experiencing the same problem...thanks for the info posted here!

I believe the "overheating" theory is correct. While experiencing the non-charging problem, I aimed a large fan at the Elevate. After only a couple of minutes, the unit start to charge as expected both via the plug (the charge symbol started to flash) and via USB connection to the computer (the USB symbol flashed in the battery icon). 

As others stated, I've only recently experienced this problem...also after the firmware update.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

I am also getting the same issues since the last firmware update. Is this issue being addressed at all? It's really frustrating and basically makes the hotspot unusable as a business data device.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

Same problem for me.  I work from home and recently changed to sierra elevate from DSL.  I can almost make it through 8 hours by having two batteries fully charged in the morning and swapping out mid day.  Unacceptable for me.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

12 years ago

I use it to work from home logged in through a VPN connection all day.  It used to last all through the day without discharging when I first got it. But after the update, it will no longer charge while plugged in when in use.  I have not noticed if the unit is overheating and the Exclamation (!) point was showing up because I don't look at the unit when I was using it.  Even if it were not charging because it is overheating, that is a design flaw (firmware and/or hardware) and not acceptable for me neither.  What changed in the new firmware that this thing is overheating?  Did they increase the RF amp power output to increase signal range? Whatever I cannot use it for business use any longer because it simply drops my work sessions (which I cannot afford to let happen) and disrrupts my work.  I have to wait for it to recharge and re-login to my work.  When in meetings, this is totally unacceptable to just fall off my meeting sessions and disappear without warning.  Get me fired for missing meetings! Dang.  What a flaw.  Please release the old firmware or fix the new one and re-issue it.  And please do it ASAP.  What am I paying locked into 2 years contract of this nonsense?

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

12 years ago

I should add that my ATT Elevate is not covered up and laying exposed in free air in a cool air conditioned room. It cannot and should not be overheating. It has air flow all around it as I have it propped up all the times. So this is ridiculous. Right ATT? Are you going to offer us some sort of remediation? Discount for limited capability and usage? or fix it with a firmware release? I need it ASAP. Or will you let us out of the 2 year contract commitment? or what? I need help on this dilema!

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

12 years ago

I'm sorry but I do not have any information on a new firmware update. 

As soon as I have any news about new firmware for the Elevate, I will update this thread.  

You can also keep an eye on the Sierra Wireless site for updated software. 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

My device is sitting on top of my desk and overheats even with LIGHT usage. We're talking about only using IM and email through a single device. Prior to the firmware upgrade, I had 3-4 devices connected to it with no overheating problems whatsoever.

It is completely unacceptable that the only remediation for this scenario is to stop using the device. 

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

12 years ago

I have the same issue, and it has gotten worse during the warm months.  Even when using the device in a cool data center it still overheats.  The device always had gotten warm with the OEM battery whenever pushing data such as video streaming.  While  streaming the battery would go from 100% to 40% even when plugged in.

Now that I have purchased the Sierra Wireless extended battery the problem is now even worse.  It gets extremely hot and eventually will shut down.  Once it shuts down it will eventually charge to 100%.  The only time that the unit will stay charged is when I'm using it in the car with a micro USB charger while listening to podcast.  Even then every once in a while I will still have heat issues although the unit is not in sunlight but in the center console cabinet.  The extended battery is self defeating due to the heat issues, although the unit will last 12 hours per charge.

If I have the unit in a case on my belt there is no way that it won't shut down.  This happens even when there is no data flow at all.  It will get extremely hot so carrying the unit on my person is out of the question.  I have been running the new firmware since it was released.  It was pushed to the unit, and I wish that there was a way to opt out of the firmware upgrades because of reasons like this.  I hope that the next firmware will correct the heat issues.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

12 years ago

Putting my Elevate device in the icebox is not a solution!

This overheat problem has been happening since April and the automatic firmware "upgrade".  After spending hours on the phone to AT&T and Sierra Wireless, I was told that a new upgrade would be out within a couple of weeks to fix it.  IT IS NOW AUGUST AND THE PROBLEM IS STILL HAPPENING.  

Please don't patronize us by telling us that the problem can be avoided by:

• Stop using the Elevate device for a few minutes until the exclamation mark on the battery icon disappears.
  • Power off the Elevate device for a few minutes.

THE DEVICE TURNS ITSELF OFF AND IT CANNOT BE USED.  

In what way is AT&T actually dealing with this problem?  Can't AT&T just reverse the update?   Or how about fixing it?

If I sound upset about this, it is because I am.  I am in a contract with AT&T, I have to pay for shoddy service and have a device that is barely useful.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.