Need help understanding your bill?
Sferris501's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Friday, December 5th, 2014 7:36 AM

Understanding Bill - What is INT/MD?

I am trying to find out on my bill under texts when I see usage type Int/md, is there a way to find out what phone number that was sent to.

Thanks

[Subject edited for better exposure]

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

9 years ago

@Sferris501 wrote:
I am trying to find out on my bill under texts when I see usage type Int/md, is there a way to find out what phone number that was sent to.

Thanks

The INT/MD means that it was "Internet or Media Data" or an abbreviation for saying that you used cellular data.  It may have been used for sending messages through iMessage, Whats App, or some other third party messaging service.  As far as AT&T is concerned, it is no different that web browsing, and is only data usage, not text messages.  AT&T has no way of tracking all the possible third party messaging services or even any way of determining who the messages are being sent to through those services.  To make matters even worse, many of those services so not associate to a telephone number, they associate to an email address, or even a service account with that service, so there is no way for AT&T to track all of them.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

Thanks for confirming am helping to understand how that works.

Sent from my iPhone

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

9 years ago

nt/md
So on one of my lines it says int/md i know it means internet media data . But its only showing on txt page does this mean they have a txt app like kik or something bc itll show weird times like one was 3 am .

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

9 years ago

That notation makes no sense.
More likely Int is international.
If you are using a text app, a phone number is picked, but may not be a number for your country, so texts to that number are billed at the international rates.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

Could anyone tell me how to eliminate this from happening?  

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

I see numerous posts regarding an unexpected rise in data usage occuring in 3 hour cycles.  For me, this has used up 95% of my data plan in 3 days.  NOTE:  THIS STARTED AT 12 AM ON THE START OF THIS NEW BILLING CYCLE.  I did not change a thing on my phone nor download apps etc.  So, what is AT&T doing differently with this new billing cycle that used up nearly all of my data plan without me knowing?  I now have my cellular button off and cannot receive voicemails unless it is on.  Cannot check my e-mail unless turning it on.  This is not how I have used my phone for teh past 1.5 years.  Please help!!

p.s.  I have spend now 2.5 hours with AT&T reps who have no idea what the IMt/MD is and say they are not able to help.  

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

To me, it looks like AT&T is consolidating (in their billing) all internet/data usage in to 3-hour blocks.  I know that throughout the day, I randomly surf the internet, check e-mail, etc. but I don't see any randomness for times/dates for this activity.  Also, if the bill reflected data transfers from the internet for every individual instance, the usage report would have too many entries and would be unmanageable (imho).  My peak usage seems to correspond to hours during the day/evening and very small usage  (comparitively) overnight.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

I appreciate this thought, but why is it using up a lot of data when I am
not using the phone? I've been incredibly busy at work this week and have
not even touched my phone nor have downloaded a single change during my
last billing cycle. I have never been near using up my data plan and now
have used 95% in 3 days since the onset of the new billing cycle. Seems
coincidental.

--
Jena

[Edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.]

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

I have just experienced the same problem with My AT&T Bill as Jogston. 
Exactly 1.5 years after switching to AT&T and this month the data usage

has suddenly exploded and I am now over my limit and being charged 20 bucks

for additional mb's.  In all the previous months I had not had any usage shown

for INT/MD.  Methings AT&T is gouging the customers.  What I did do to curtail

ANY auto usage of data is went to my phone and disabled the various functions

under connections, data usage, function (various) to prevent updating of Mobile

data UNLESS by use of my (or any other) WI-FI connection.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

This has been going on for while with my daughter's IPhone, when she had the iPhone 4s we were able to stop it from occurring but now with her 5C we have not been successful. It really pis $es me off and it forced me into a higher data plan. How can AT&T not know what this is? That's a load of Bu11S.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.