Need help understanding your bill?
Mamarob's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Friday, February 19th, 2016 3:15 PM

Unauthorized user

How was someone other than myself able to access my acct when my name is the only one on the acct? I added a device for my daughter and her boyfriend and he was able to order a new replacement phone without my consent and have the charges added to my bill?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Employee

• 

4.9K Messages

8 years ago

We agree that your 4-digit passcode--which is required to use the myAT&T app, access your account online, over the phone or in the stores--should not be the last four digits of your Social Security Number or any value that someone who knows you might guess. If you have already set your wireless account passcode, please take a look at Changing your Security Passcode. If have not set your passcode, then you should have recently received an email from AT&T about it. The link in that email lets you set your passcode for the first time.

Professor

• 

3.2K Messages

8 years ago

The best person to ask is your daughter's BF; have you? All he would need is your name, account #, and password, things you might have laying around the house that anyone with access to the house could locate.

Call ATT and change the password, but also put a unique 4 digit passcode on the account. Oh, and tell him he owes you for the phone he ordered.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

8 years ago

Yes, if you didn't change your passcode to a unique 4 digit number, the default is the last 4 of your social security number, which your daughter surely can get ahold of.

Mentor

• 

44 Messages

8 years ago

Just for the record, your passcode can be anything from 4 to 8 numbers in length. It is funny, that a lot of people use their last 4 digits of their SSN when setting up their passcode, which somewhat defeats the point of the whole thing.

Guru

• 

629 Messages

8 years ago

@Busternutt

I agree, to the extent that one should not leave sensitive information just lying around for anyone to be able to gain access to it and use it for nefarious purposes.  However,  the store should have required the young man to show ID while he was there, and they should have seen that he was not authorized on the account and called the account holder before processing any type of transaction.

Professor

• 

3.2K Messages

8 years ago

@lcalle

Don't know why a two month old post is being dredged up, but the OP never said the BF did this at a store. He didn't specify at all, so could have been over the phone or online, both of which would only required the acct number, password, passcode, or easily guessed security questions (where were you born, mother's maiden name, favorite pet? A BF could easily have that information at hand).

Guru

• 

629 Messages

8 years ago

@Busternutt

Good point about the mentioning of the store.  I still think whomever it was who handled this transaction should have taken more steps to ensure the security of the account.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

8 years ago

@lcalle wrote:

@Busternutt

Good point about the mentioning of the store.  I still think whomever it was who handled this transaction should have taken more steps to ensure the security of the account.

@lcalle, the OP provided no information on how the phone was ordered so we don't know if any human was involved in the transaction. It could have been done online. 

Guru

• 

629 Messages

8 years ago

@sandblaster

Grr! both you and @Busternutt need to quit being so RIGHT ! Smiley Tongue

Seriously though,  good points, both of you.  

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

8 years ago

This is what You call an improvement to the AT&T service plans???All I see is a way for children and friends to get a free service at the expense of the customer.You need to improve the access to the system,before it all goes wrong!!  =((

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.