For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
gsholling's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Tuesday, February 12th, 2019 2:46 AM

Let's double-check that it's really you.

This security feature does not work. I get no code. I am unable to login without it. I may be able to have it sent to another number on my account, but I would have to wait for the recipient to relay it to me. Even then I would have to repeat every time I login, because my system does not save cookies for privacy and security reasons. Oh, and sending this code over SMS and in my case having to have it relayed by another means of communication is reducing the security of my account not enhancing it. SMS is not a secure communication channel. This severely limits my access to my account, yet ironically makes it easier for a miscreant to access it. I have not been able to view my bill yet this month. I have called customer service. The issue was escalated twice during the call. I am supposed to wait 24 to 48 hours for a callback. I have another in progress issue which may or may not be resolved concerning validation of my e-mail to complete paperless signup, I have had paperless since day one, the validation page title says success, but page has an error code. I may or may not get a paper bill this month, hint I don't want it on paper. I don't know if the system is getting too complex or if the features released to production are not thoroughly tested, maybe both. 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

The validation code does not arrive at my cell phone, because my cell phone does not have a connection to a tower.  It appears as if my cell phone was suspended.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

5 years ago

@nathan32 wrote:

The validation code does not arrive at my cell phone, because my cell phone does not have a connection to a tower.  It appears as if my cell phone was suspended.

Why do you have no connection?    Microcell?  Wifi calling?  

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

Update: No resolution from AT&T. I have managed to setup a partial workaround. I have installed the Google messages app and enabled messages for the web to sync with the phone.

I can now sometimes get the code.

I still cannot get the code when there is no cell service.

I still cannot get the code when I do not have my phone.

I still cannot get the code when my phone battery is too low or dead.

There are far better ways to implement the OTP code. Sending by SMS is the least secure way and requires access to cell service. Sending by email may or may not be more secure than SMS depending on the use of encrypted connections. Sending by a phone call may or may not be more secure than SMS depending on whether the call is routed over the cell network opening it up to many of the same risks as SMS, not so much cell service risk for a landline. Either a hardware or software OTP token time sync'ed with the server is the best implementation.

This will have to do for now.

Mentor

• 

36 Messages

5 years ago

How do I disable this option? It happens every time I login to my account to pay my bill and is getting extremely annoying.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.