For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
sbjuul's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Sunday, August 11th, 2019 7:10 PM

I Need Second Hand Phone/Used Phone Help

Hello, I bought an iPhone from a friend a few months ago. It is an iPhone 7 and I was questioning the carrier and if it is locked or unlocked. He said it is locked to AT&T. I no longer talk to this person and I have no access to unlocking this iPhone. I used the unlock portal and sent a request but it was denied because there is a unpaid bill. My question is, how can I unlock the phone? I do not know if there is a sim card in the phone or not. There is a number in the phone but it is not mine and im not sure if I can use this number to pay the phone bill. I went to the AT&T account log in and its asking for an account number or a phone number. I don't want to interfere with the other person’s account by using the number thats in the phone, unless I have to. Is there a way I can make an account and pay the bill? Or is this phone always going to be carrier locked to AT&T? If somebody needs the IMEI #, I will be happy to give that information.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

5 years ago

You cannot pay off the phone. The original purchaser has to pay it off. Since it is not paid off, it can only be used on the AT&T network.

The original owner may eventually pay off the phone or it may have recently been paid off and the system just hasn't caught up with the payoff.

You may need to wait a couple of weeks and check again.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

5 years ago

@sbjuul wrote:

Okay thank you. I have another question now, am I able to reactivate the phone and use it on the AT&T network? Yes. You can use it on ATT or any MVNO that uses ATT’s network. or does the original purchaser have to do that too? No. and if im able to reactivate this phone, can I use any plan or does it have to be a certain plan? Any plan. If these questions are making no sense to you, im sorry, I dont know a lot about phones.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

Okay thank you. I have another question now, am I able to reactivate the phone and use it on the AT&T network? or does the original purchaser have to do that too? and if im able to reactivate this phone, can I use any plan or does it have to be a certain plan? If these questions are making no sense to you, im sorry, I dont know a lot about phones.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

Thank you so much for this information. Is there anything else that I may need to know about reactivating this phone? Or is that all? Thank you!!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.