Need help understanding your bill?
mrsbbruce's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Thursday, August 25th, 2016 5:29 PM

Fraudulent Activity Repeatedly Occurring - AT&T Support Doesn't Document or Fix Problem

A few months ago somehow someone gained access to my account and ordered a phone, using my upgrade, as well as added another address for U-verse.  I monitor my account online and noticed the activity and immediately contacted AT&T and spoke with the regular (mostly non-helpful representatives, who by the way couldn't see any of the activity that I was talking about), as well as spoke with the fraud department.  The fraud department was able to see the activity and reverse it, as well as assured me they put notes in the account for any further attempt at fraudulent charges/activity.

Two months ago, or last month, there was a charge on my bill that could not be explained by the AT&T representative - they had no idea what it was for, where it came from, or anything of the sort.  It possibly could have been someone trying to charge something to my account again, I have no idea, but the representative again reversed the charges.

Today I attempt to log in to pay my pay and it says for security purposes, my account is locked and I had to call to get it unlocked.  I call and give the representative my information, my security passcode, but when they ask for the email address associated with my account, apparently it wasn't the correct one they had.  Which means, AGAIN, someone has fraudulently altered my account, and has been allowed to do so.  So who knows access AT&T has given them, the rep couldn't explain it.  They wouldn't even remove that email address, someone else's email address, from my account.  The only thing they could do is put a ticket in and have someone call my cell phone within 24-48 hours. 

I am at my wit's end with the incompetency of this company and their lack of being able to handle simple instructions and to safeguard the account.  They can't even explain how this happens, it just does.  And even though they say they are putting notes on your account, they do not, so I have to explain everything all over again every time I call. 

Terrible, terrible accountability at AT&T.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

8 years ago

Account hacking may indicate someone has stolen your identity, accessed your email, knows your social security number.

You not only need to secure your ATT account with username, password and passcode/PIN , remove all authorized users.  You also need to secure the email account associated with your account.  My email has 2 step verification.  This means no one can access it without a code sent to my cell phone.  

Run your credit history, change all passwords, make sure you have deleted all old devices from your iCloud, Google or Windows accounts.  Buy a document shredder, etc.

https://www.consumer.gov/articles/1015-avoiding-identity-theft

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

8 years ago

Thank you for the replay.  I have fraud alerts set up with IRS and credit reporting agencies.  I am the only authorized user on my account, and my account has always been set up that way.  Plus, my cell phone number is the only number associated with my account, so I don't know how someone would be able to make changes to my account without going through the ringer that they are putting me through now, especially when I already put a fraud alert on my account months ago. 

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

8 years ago

Reply, not replay

Professor

• 

3.2K Messages

8 years ago

Sorry, got my "reply" mixed up

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

8 years ago

Easier than you think.  The email account accociated is the weak link.  The emails from ATT include your name and account number.

With that they find your SS# and reset your passwords and passcode, security questions and email address.  

I recently changed my email on my account.  Notice is sent to the old account.  These notices of changes to your account can only be deleted if some has access to your email.

This is why I put 2 step verification on my email.

Another concern is recycled or sold devices.  Even factory reset is not fool proof.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

8 years ago

Not ready for a tin foil hat by any means....but a bit paranoid after my business email was hacked and attempts were made on my other accounts.

I change passwords now and then.  I change my ATT PIN code after each use.  (Which means every time I contact ATT and they ask for the code)

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

8 years ago

That doesn't make any sense or apply in this regard. I never made any changes, I never ordered another phone, someone else did. And it wasn't the same day, I noticed it sometime after it occurred. Thanks for the reply.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

8 years ago

That doesn't make any sense or apply in this regard. I never made any changes, I never ordered another phone, someone else did. And it wasn't the same day, I noticed it sometime after it occurred. Thanks for the reply.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

8 years ago

That's a very good tip to change it every time, thank you.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

8 years ago

That's a very good tip to change it every time, thank you.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.