Need help understanding your bill?
rick27607's profile

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

Friday, November 9th, 2018 1:31 PM

Closed

Can a family plan member check their own data usage without having to see all of the account info?

I only want a child to have access to and see the data that they are using on our family plan.  Is there an app that would allow this?  can they download the AT&T all access app (Android) and create their own password? Or is there some other AT&T app better suited for an individual user to see just their data usage?

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

5 years ago

The easiest method is to have them dial *3282. They will get a text response with current data usage.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

5 years ago

Actually the phone has the most up to date, accurate and detailed information.  Dialing #3282 gets the data totals for all numbers and the account total, but it may be up to 72 hours old.  All access provides all lines and total and would also be up to 72 hours old.  

My kids were taught early how to see the data use on the phones and because the had iPhones, I reminded them monthly to reset the data statistics. (Android keeps totals by monthly bill cycle continuously).   The data usage meter on each phone shows how much, and also what apps and services used the data.  This is helpful so if YouTube is running high, the child can download clips on Wifi for watching later for example.  

If you are setting a cap for your child, and there are consequences for going over, the only way to prevent that is to curb use from the phones data meter becasue of the delay between use and reporting.  It’s also fair to the child if there are negative reinforcers for exceeding the limit.  And the bonus is they learn how to manage data in real time themselves by application.  It might spill over to you as well as your child seeks for ways to manage data better (like my YouTube example). 

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

5 years ago

@lizdance40 Just FYI, the proper number to dial to get data totals is *3282#. I just tried *3282 and #3282, neither worked but *3282# did.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

5 years ago

You are right, and for those like me with sieve for brain, in contacts, you should find AT&T service contacts, which includes ‘DATA’.  

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

5 years ago

Hi and thanks, good tip! I also installed the "My Data Manager" app from Google play and shared it with the family as I believe it will be able to provide quick a graphical representation of their usage vs the total monthly limit.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

5 years ago

@rick27607  If using an android phone you don’t need an app.  Android phones have a built in data counter, which is all Data Manager does, but not as well as the built in.  Data manager does not give app information, all it does is total use on the device.

See photo.   Note the arrow next to date will drop down past months use.  The gear is for setting the bill cycle.

B6B15D6C-F997-4FE8-B411-B9DF9EEC4F38.jpeg

1 Attachment

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.