Check for service outages
arkybarky1's profile

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

Monday, March 11th, 2019 6:23 PM

my data speed slowed to 20 kbps max

data speed slowed to 20 kbps max

After using up my 8 gb monthly plan data my internet speed drops to 10-20 kbps , nowhere near the 128 kbps promised. It took 4 minutes to access my email login page yesterday which has no animation s or ads. Customer service does nothing that s helpful. Resetting phone connection can boost speed to 10-28 kbps, soft reset at my end does nothing.

What do people suggest I do about this?

Lg stylo2 phone, was unlocked Metro Pcs phone.updated to Android v7 , new at+t sim card last summer.

Mar 11, 2019

Atnt store says it sounds like my service is on Low Priority. They replaced Sim Card with current version which hasn't helped. They also think a complete reset of phone could help & claim Lg phone has poor antenna. What is "Priority" of data service and how does one get decent service? Maybe"prioritization" of my payment is in order? Btw no other devices share this "service".

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

5 years ago

You were not promised a minimum speed on a capped plan. The speed slows to a MAXIMUM 128 kbps.  

Read the plan details under the plan comparison box

https://www.att.com/prepaid/index.html

That plan allows you to buy extra data, or you can renew early, or change plans if you want more data now.  

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

5 years ago

After using up my 8 gb monthly plan data my internet speed drops to 10-20 kbps , nowhere near the 128 kbps promised. It took 4 minutes to access my email login page yesterday which has no animation s or ads. Customer service does nothing that s helpful. Resetting phone connection can boost speed to 10-28 kbps, resetting at my end does nothing.

Lg stylo2 phone, was unlocked Metro Pcs phone.updated to Android v7 , new at+t sim card last summer.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

5 years ago

After using up my 8 gb monthly plan data my internet speed drops to 10-20 kbps , nowhere near the 128 kbps promised. It took 4 minutes to access my email login page yesterday which has no animation s or ads. Customer service does nothing that s helpful. Resetting phone connection can boost speed to 10-28 kbps, resetting at my end does nothing.

Lg stylo2 phone, was unlocked Metro Pcs phone.updated to Android v7 , new at+t sim card last summer

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

5 years ago

Atnt store says it sounds like my service is on Low Priority. They replaced Sim Card with current version which hasn't helped. They also think a complete reset of phone could help. What is "Priority" of data service and how does one get decent service? Maybe"prioritization" of my payment is in order?

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

5 years ago

Mar 3rd

After using up my 8 gb monthly plan data my internet speed drops to 10-20 kbps , nowhere near the 128 kbps promised. It took 4 minutes to access my email login page yesterday which has no animation s or ads. Customer service does nothing that s helpful. Resetting phone connection can boost speed to 10-28 kbps,soft reset at my end does nothing.

Mar 11, 2019 11:02 AM
Re: data speed slowed to 20 kbps max

Atnt store says it sounds like my service is on Low Priority. They replaced Sim Card with current version which hasn't helped. They also think a complete reset of phone could help & claim Lg phone has poor antenna. What is "Priority" of data service and how does one get decent service? Maybe"prioritization" of my payment is in order? Btw no other devices share this "service".

V

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

5 years ago

As noted above, you aren’t promised 128 kbps, that is the highest you can get once you have used your data allotment. It is also against forum rules to start multiple threads on the same issue. All of your other threads have been merged into this one, please don’t start more threads on this, stick to this one.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

5 years ago

The text from atnt stated "..slowed to around 128 kbps..." I should have amended my statement to "nowhere near the maximum promised" . the point is 10-20 kbps data is UNUSABLE today,unlike in 1995 when it was cutting edge. In effect I have virtually No Service,which is contrary to Atnts stated policy.

Interesting that no atnt employees have responded to this issue.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

5 years ago

@arkybarky1 wrote:

The text from atnt stated "..slowed to around 128 kbps..."  The plan information says 128 kbps MAXIMUM.   

I should have amended my statement to "nowhere near the maximum promised" .   A maximum speed, means you can expect anything from 0 to 128.  At&t has every right to make it 0.  

the point is 10-20 kbps data is UNUSABLE today,unlike in 1995 when it was cutting edge. In effect I have virtually No Service,which is contrary to Atnts stated policy.

What policy is that?   Seems to me it’s EXACTLY what was stated.  

Interesting that no atnt employees have responded to this issue.   It’s a community forum.  If an AT&T employee responded it would be to repeat exactly what is on the website verbatim, with the usual platitudes.  

You paid for and get 8 gigs.  If you need more you can add data packs to pick a larger plan next month.  It’s not an unlimited plan, never claimed it was.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

5 years ago

@Garro5831 

Again incorrect.   AT&T website is very clear, and maximum of 128 kbps is understood 

6BE8DC01-2C62-4844-B5C1-56DEF7E5E3FB.jpeg9A26CC62-E9A4-491A-A0D4-F8A03C28FFD5.jpeg

2 Attachments

Mentor

• 

44 Messages

5 years ago

To be frank that's a bullsh!t explanation. I live in NYC. I carry an iPhone SE and a Galaxy S10e. I switched to a plan at suggested by a rep and now have the same experience as the OP. After I use up 9GB, my speeds drop to 10 or 15 the kbps.

I don't get 'up to 128kbps'

I get 10.

They might as well say 'up to' any fck!ng number they want, then, right?

They shouldn't advertise a plan when they never, ever get near the 'up to' speed

It's deceptive, and the people here shouldn't be pointing to 'this is what they told you' quotes, they should be agreeing it's deceptive.

I've called and spoke to tech support and was told that line about how it's 'up to', and then told, clearly and frankly that I should NOT expect the service to be usable. That's the truth of it.

It's deceptive, it's never anywhere near 128.

Are you people saying that because I was told "up to 128" that I should be ok with and expect that I'm getting 10? That's a 'gotcha sucker!' explanation, not a fair and honest one.

That's absurd. I'm p!ssed and they should be fck!ng ashamed of themselves and do something about it.

I'm waiting on a call from customer retention, and the call after that's going to be to Verizon. They might screw me there, too, but are more up front about it.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.