For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Check for service outages
ijustwantanswer's profile

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

Tuesday, January 15th, 2019 1:16 AM

how to turn off 5G

Samsung active 8. AT&T forced 5G upgrade. Want to turn off 5G. How?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Professor

• 

3K Messages

5 years ago

@ijustwantanswer  ATT just change the advance 4G LTE display to 5G e  as noted in the link below. 

https://www.cnet.com/news/no-your-at-t-phone-doesnt-have-5g-yet/

Tutor

• 

17 Messages

This doesn't answer the question in any way, shape or form. I am already aware that 5ge is simply 4g with some advanced technology borrowed from 5g technology. What was asked was how to turn off the 5ge option so it only connects to regular 4g LTE networks. Mainly because it switches back and forth between 5ge and 4g LTE service very frequently and eats my battery power needlessly instead of simply staying on the more reliable 4g lte network. Don't know how this answer was accepted and it's nonsense.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

5 years ago

Not sure what you mean but there are no 5G phones yet. Your phone shouldn’t be capable of receiving 5G. What makes you think you are? 

Tutor

• 

17 Messages

There are 5g phones, and there are 5g towers... what's being referred to is 5ge, which is explained in the link provided by the other person that doesn't know what they're taking about

• 

3 Messages

yes there are 5ge phones and the service (Edited per community guidelines). I have already gone to att to have them fix the issue and here I still sit with no service! I have 5 phones and an Ipad and my phone is the only one with the 5ge. Store employees and clueless and tech support sends me to India..... DEAD END!

(edited)

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

My status bar, next to the signal strength indicator, says 5G E. Sometimes, not all the time. How does one turn this off?

• 

2 Messages

@ijustwantanswer I answered it for I want to respond again to make sure you see it.. settings cellular cellular data options unselect enable LTE

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

Oh, thank you. Hopefully we can opt out of 5G when they start forcing it. Probably not, though. Thanks again, such a relief.

• 

5 Messages

I agree. I JUST DONT WANT 5G. Thank you for presisting int your question. (I dont ever believe att truly...but now I know where to go to look)

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

5 years ago

Why would you want to opt out? 

Tutor

• 

17 Messages

Does that matter? Just because YOU can not conceive of a possible reason doesn't mean you have to chime in with pointless commentary... If you can't answer the questioning then your two cents is not necessary.

• 

3 Messages

Because it (Edited per community guidelines)!!!!! No service. Doesn't switch back and forth to find a signal. Your just stuck with no signal

(edited)

• 

1 Message

@sandblaster because it hasn’t been tested Thoroughly enough for long term health effects.

They have only tested the thermal effects at this point.

There are many people including independent scientists all over the world who are concerned about these untested higher frequencies.

• 

1 Message

5G is a weaponized frequency, NO testing has been done on humans. Out of the millions of frequency's out there they chose 5G, now why do you suppose that is?

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

And your full of it.  You don't even know what tech your knocking.  Atts low band 5g has the same frequency as band 5 LTE.

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

5 years ago

That’s like saying you don’t want to use the commuter lane.  You would  rather sit in the slow lane with the traffic jam on the highway.   Why?  

Btw, until you own a 5g phone, you cannot use 5g.  

• 

5 Messages

@lizdance40   5g is very different than sitting in the commuter lane: EVEN though my phone thank god cannot yet be forced to take it - when I go out into the world, 5g PULSES hit my body, my cells right away. Please read beyond speed.
MY DOWNLOADS....are just fine. 

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

5 years ago

I think 5G is a lot more about marketing, than anything else, at this point.

Granted, latency is a bit less, and, in theory, high-density implementation should be better, but do we really need the speed?  

I challenge someone to show (hotspot/tethering excluded) to come up with a scenario where anyone needs that kind of bandwidth, on a cell, at this point in tech.

Take a 20MB file, which would take about 2 seconds to download (pretty big file, for most cell use), on a solid LTE connection, today.  Okay, so it takes 0.1-0.3 seconds, on a (good) 5G connection, is that really relevant?
Maybe, in some scenarios, where you're trying to download a movie, right before a plane flight, but really you're a lot more likely to hit another bottleneck, such as your SSD speed, the server(s) with the movie, your physical RAM and its' cache speeds, and much more (not even taking bus speeds into account).

Realistically, you probably will never know if your download was over a 20mbps connection, 100, 200, gig, or similar, because there are so many other bottlenecks/factors in the mix.

I've written a lot of tests, designed to test for speed/latency thresholds, but at some point, there's really a "diminishing return", on most end-point setups (PC, cell, tablet); obviously server(s) are a different deal (and why 10G+ is important, for some implementations).

On a cell setup, you're going to use your 22GB, or whatever, in a really, really short amount of time, if you're actually pulling data at anywhere close to bandwidth (even on say a 150 LTE setup).

I'm FAR more interested in reduced latency, myself, which is why our home setup has a very carefully load-balanced dual-WAN setup.  Sure the connections have plenty of "bandwidth" (about 1.25G, which exceeds most PC and other NICs now anyway), but really I designed the balancing layout to avoid latency for a given set of data-types, not to maximize "speed/throughput".  I think it's easy to confuse low-latency for speed anyway, for most users, excepting those moving VERY large amounts of data.

Anyway, my $0.02 on the deal ;-]

5G will be good, because it will improve on latency and congestion as well, but how much is really going to take a while to "prove itself", in the real world, IMO.

But, like everyone has noted, there are no 5G phones yet (but will be soon), and only a few cell networks, in a few cities, that are ready for them, at this point.

Oh yeah, and the "bad guys" are going to like it too, because it's going to make "compromised" devices a lot more efficient, in terms of the stuff they want to do ;-]

Tutor

• 

17 Messages

So.......... can you answer the question or just sound compulsively convoluted?

• 

3 Messages

No one is going to answer because they are all clueless and only want to sound like they know what they are talking about

• 

2 Messages

My phone does this too! When I'm at home and my wifi is turned off, I have 5G. When I leave my house it switches to 4G

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

5 years ago

@pgrey

want to bet customers won’t be able to keep their current unlimited plans if the upgrade to 5g phones?    They did that when basic phones went out.  

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

5 years ago

@lizdance40

Yeah, that'd be kinda' humorous, not to mention insanely ironic ;-]

"Here's this phone with a crazy-fast modem, have fun!  Oh, yeah, you might have a tendency to use up your months' data in a few seconds, if you're not careful, keep an eye on that..."  ;-O

I'm in no big hurry to have any sort of 5G phone (for all the reasons in my too-long diatribe ;-]), but the 955 chipset has a lot of other good reasons to make it appealing.

I still don't understand though, how they're going to handle voice, when they re-purpose more and more of their retired 2G and 3G spectrum, for 5G or upgraded LTE.  Something's going to have to give, or they'll have to do away with BYOD or something...

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

5 years ago

They expect us to talk with our thumbs rather than call.  

Im thinking we are due some unrest when vast areas of the US are suddenly without coverage.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.