Check for service outages
A

• 

25.7K Messages

Saturday, October 6th, 2018 6:27 AM

beware international plan for Bahamas

Before leaving for the Bahamas I called to add the $10/day international plan and was told that I would accordingly be able to use my phone as usual: calls, texts, data. Despite staying in a major resort area the entire time, though, I found that reception in the Bahamas was SO BAD that effectively I had no international plan. Other than occasionally receiving texts from the states, my attempts to use the phone without wifi were frustrating and fruitless.

Upon return to the States I called CS to request a refund of these useless charges: AT&T had promised international service it did not deliver!!

The representative gave me a partial refund, but I still ended up paying more than any of that "service" was worth. I asked that this feedback be forwarded up the chain--that AT&T should not sell international plans in the Bahamas it cannot deliver--but the rep seemed indifferent to this and just wanted to get me off the phone.

SO THIS IS AN ADVISORY for anyone considering international usage in the Bahamas who happens to see this first: Don't do it. It's not worth your money.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

6 years ago

@Anonymous

They sold you a roaming plan to reduce your costs.  Att does not provide cellular service in the Bahamas.  

The quality of service depends on your phones hardware and the local carrier.  AT&T has nothing to do with quality.   

https://www.att.com/offers/international-plans/country.html/#/BHS

“Availability and quality of coverage and services while roaming are not guaranteed.”

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

International plans have nothing to do with whether or not you will get service, they only control how much you pay for service. ATT did not promise you would get service, the international plans clearly state that. I’m sure there are locations in the Bahamas where service is good and the plan would be worth it. Also realize your issues could have been due to your phone. Your warning does not necessarily apply to everyone traveling to the Bahamas.

• 

25.7K Messages

6 years ago

The fine print says they're not bound to provide what they are selling? Okay then. All must be well.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

The Bahamas barely have WIFI. So for att to sell plans there is like robbing people. And for the ACE people on the forum CHECK YOURSELF.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

5 years ago

@Hank1 wrote:

The Bahamas barely have WIFI.   Then a roaming plan is ESSENTIAL with no Wifi to augment data use.

So for att to sell plans there is like robbing people.  Want to explain that deduction?

And for the ACE people on the forum CHECK YOURSELF.   Check what?   How about check the hundreds of posts where people traveled with no plan and got bills that were hundreds or thousands of dollars?   No matter how bad you think service is, if your phone connects, it’s more costly with no roaming plan.   Passport is more than adequate (my opinion ).  

The only thing At&t is selling is a prepackaged plan to prevent high roaming charges.   It doesn’t matter if service is poor, if you use it without a package, you pay the high rates.

Calls are $3 per minute, rounded up.

text is 50¢

MMS is $1.30

data is $2.05 per mb.   That’s MEGABYTE.  

My mom ran up $300 for 146 mbs of data on the background on St.Kitts.   As lousy as cellular is on the island, her phone did connect over the 4 weeks and used background data.  The $60 plan would have been the way to go and we will use it next time.  

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

{keep it courteous}

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

4 years ago

@Chris_K_59 wrote:

{keep it courteous}

LOL.   Exactly!  But this complaint will come up again and again.

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Same here sold me a phone and a plan, said it would call the Bahamas, tried NOPE.. Need to add more money.. (Edited per community guidelines).

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

4 years ago

@likemyballz No, not the same. This thread is about roaming in the Bahamas, not calls to the Bahamas. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.