Will Northeast MI ever receive 3G?

Explorer

Will Northeast MI ever receive 3G?

I've heard talk about how ATT is "working on their network coverage" and plans to provide 3G service in Northeast MI "in the coming months".  Well, now that another 2 year contract has expired, I'm seriously wondering if I would be better off jumping to Verizon.  The EDGE data network up here if virtually useless.  5 full bars, yet extremely poor data transfer.  

Can anyone provide an HONEST answer as to when this coverage is planned to be upgraded???  Verizon has had 3G for quite a long while up here...

Message 1 of 722 (43,879 Views)
Scholar

Re: Will Northeast MI ever receive 3G?

For anyone in Northeast Michigan that wants to stick it out for a bit longer with AT&T, the link in this post might give you a ray of hope. AT&T has no doubt been very lax with a 3G buildout up there but now they are being forced into it sooner rather than later. They did state a month ago that by 2017, they will be eliminating their 2G EDGE network completely(YES!!!!) That means a complete rebuild of their 4G network and I think it will be MUCH sooner than in 5 years. Here is the link: http://gigaom.com/mobile/whats-att-planning-hidden-specs-unearthed-in-the-gsm-iphone-5/

Message 16 of 722 (32,316 Views)
Explorer

That would be too good to be true Lewyman...but I think I'll tough it out for a few more months and see what happens.  It seems we have had several data outages in the past couple of days (maybe due to the iPhone 5 launch?) and maybe it's because they are working on the network...?  (It's almost as if I believe in Santa Claus once again...I'm so gullible!)

Message 17 of 722 (32,262 Views)
Scholar

Just checked the AT&T coverage map which was updated this evening and there is indeed new 3G coverage in northwest Michigan. However,the 3G/HSPA+ in Gaylord is not on the map yet. So they are continuing to upgrade.
Message 18 of 722 (32,171 Views)
Explorer

Well....the new iPhone has arrived...and it's really a neat little piece of hardware. Too bad the edge data connection is every bit as lousy as my old iPhone 4. I wish there was a petition somewhere that was circulating regarding this lack of service and allowing us to express our disappointment...
Message 19 of 722 (32,159 Views)
Scholar

Express your disappointment by voting with your wallet.
Message 20 of 722 (32,153 Views)
Former Community Manager

Hi there - we recently upgraded the network in the Detroit area to LTE and have improved the overall network in Northern Michigan. 

We cannot provide specific dates regarding network improvements.

I'm sorry you have not seen an improvement in your service. 

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Message 21 of 722 (32,119 Views)
Scholar

@jamileh - With all due respect, LTE in Detroit has no effect on the condition of the AT&T network in northeast lower Michigan. That is well over a hundred miles away. And the network really hasn't improved around here, otherwise there wouldn't be threads inquiring about network improvements in NE MI...because there haven't been any. The EDGE is still terrible here and 3G or HSPA+ hasn't been launched (except in Gaylord) which is in north central MI. 

Message 22 of 722 (32,113 Views)
Scholar

I have to agree 100% with Tpeltz. The network up in northern Michigan is very slow and outdated especially for the good people that live up there full time. I have a cottage up there but live downstate and I can tell you for a fact the EDGE network in S.E. Michigan is totally different than up there. The network here was upgraded to EDGE class 10 which will run at 150Kb/s and stream low quality video, send mms messages, and email pictures.....and that was 5 years ago!!!!!! However, EDGE upnorth should be classified as 1G in my opinion. Pretty much anywhere north of Saginaw and away from I-75 you will be lucky to see 50Kb/s. I am hoping that AT&T continues to upgrade fast because once Verizon launches LTE across the north, it will be very tough to get customers to come back.
Message 23 of 722 (32,088 Views)
Scholar

I was traveling home this past weekend and had no data coverage along I-75 from around the 199 to south of the Pinconning exit. 4G appeared on my phone briefly around the 187 mile marker then went off again back none. Restarted my phone twice and still no data until reaching the start of 4G coverage at the rest area around the 174. Looks like they are moving on getting I-75 covered...just hope they keep on going and finish up the rest of N.E. Mi. !!!!!
Message 24 of 722 (31,741 Views)
Explorer

"...we recently upgraded the network in the Detroit area to LTE and have improved the overall network in Northern Michigan."  

How can you say that you have improved the overall network in Northern Michigan?  Oh wait....I suppose even the most minor upgrade, anywhere north of Saginaw, would have to qualify as an 'improvement'.  

As I drove around Alpena this morning struggling to get any type of data response on this Edge network, I'm left wondering how these companies can get away with claiming they provide a service, when technically, they do not.  

If I wasn't locked into contract with ATT, I would jump ship in a heartbeat.  I couldn't be more dissappointed in the service...

Message 25 of 722 (31,657 Views)
Scholar

I know I got the same problem in Lewiston. EDGE sucks!!! Verizon announced a few days ago new LTE service launching in Marquette and Petoskey. With all of the small markets in other states they have deployed LTE in the last 1 year and 9 months, they have kind of stiffed northeast Mi as well. At least Alpena,Tawas,Oscoda, and areas like that should have it already. And I see in the last year and a half AT&T has completely covered N&S Dakota with 3G and now they are rapidly deploying HSPA+.
Message 26 of 722 (31,625 Views)
Scholar

The Drummond Island and Cedarville towers are still on Edge, which really baffles me.  These are huge tourist areas in the Upper Peninsula.  Sault Ste Marie is 4G now, but people around my area are flocking to Verizon in droves.  

I don't know what the holdup is with upgrading these towers to at least 3G.

Message 27 of 722 (31,575 Views)
Explorer

I'm sure there is some ATT exec who has a vacation home somewhere around the Sault. I can't see any other reason for upgrading there so early? Why not Escanaba? Ishpeming? (with all due respect to the fine folks living in those areas)
Message 28 of 722 (31,571 Views)
Scholar

Verizon 3G is pretty decent in northern Mi but there more dead zones for sure and AT&T does have better voice coverage no doubt. I was in S.E. Arkansas almost two years ago and it was all EDGE. Now looking at their coverage map I see pretty much the entire state is 3G/4G. The only reason I can think of that AT&T has ignored Northeast and the U.P. is they know a large percentage of wireless customers are with Verizon and have been even when it was Alltel.
Message 29 of 722 (31,549 Views)
Scholar

There is no reason that Escanaba and Ishpeming shouldn't have 3G/4G coverage.  

Message 30 of 722 (31,540 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.