Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Will Northeast MI ever receive 3G?

Explorer

Will Northeast MI ever receive 3G?

I've heard talk about how ATT is "working on their network coverage" and plans to provide 3G service in Northeast MI "in the coming months".  Well, now that another 2 year contract has expired, I'm seriously wondering if I would be better off jumping to Verizon.  The EDGE data network up here if virtually useless.  5 full bars, yet extremely poor data transfer.  

Can anyone provide an HONEST answer as to when this coverage is planned to be upgraded???  Verizon has had 3G for quite a long while up here...

Message 1 of 723
Scholar

American Ninja.......How is the LTE up therethere?

American Ninja.......How is the LTE up therethere?
Message 691 of 723
Scholar

Re: American Ninja.......How is the LTE up therethere?

Finally after over a year of waiting......the AT&T site is Lovells, MI is running 3G/UMTSSmiley Happy 

Speeds: 4 down/1.5 up. 

Message 692 of 723

It's great so far! I get 3 bars of LTE by me. around 13-15MB down. Smiley Happy

Message 693 of 723
Scholar

Screenshot_2014-11-23-20-16-22.png

HSPA+ in Lovells, MI. Ethernet backhaul is via Microwave. LTE coming soon!Smiley Happy

Message 694 of 723
Tutor

Awesome. Can't wait for summer haha
Message 695 of 723
Scholar

That tower in Arnold should be going live soon if not already. LTE activations in Michigan have cooled way down the last several months, unfortunately. Don't know why northern Michigan, including the Thumb area,  are low priority areas for AT&T. 

Message 696 of 723

My friend told me Gwinn now has 4G. Arnold tower stil hasn't been activated yet that I know of.

Message 697 of 723
Scholar

Excellent!    Hopefully they will fill that void in thereSmiley Happy

Well, what a coincidence from my last post. Several sites in the Thumb area have received LTE upgrades this weekend. Owendale, Kingston, Lexington, and the second site in Caro are all running LTE. Several others are now on Ethernet and running HSPA+ as well.

Message 698 of 723
Scholar

LTE went live on the site in Lovells, MI this morning.  5x5 Band 17.  

Port Sanilac and Watersmeet also received LTE upgrades this morningSmiley Happy

Message 699 of 723
Scholar

American Ninja:

American Ninja:
Message 700 of 723
Scholar

American Ninja: Any word on the new site near Arnold by c...

American Ninja: Any word on the new site near Arnold by chance?
Message 701 of 723
Scholar

Re: American Ninja: Any word on the new site near Arnold by c...

Well, it is almost April and so far AT&T hasn't really done anything to improve their network this year. What's even more disappointing is that most of the new site builds that were scheduled for this year and 2016 have been cancelled. My AT&T contact that is involved in the network buildout said there are deep budget cuts due to the upcoming acquisition of Directv, and that Michigan is going to suffer as a direct result. The only new info that I can share is there is a new site scheduled to go online this year in Shingleton, near Munising(U.P.)and only a fairly small amount of new LTE upgrades across Michigan this year as well.

What is disappointing for me, is the tower in Lewiston was one of the first in NE MI to get UMTS (3G) back in June of 2013. Nothing has changed since and speeds have plummeted. In fact, one of the new sites that was recently cancelled was going to be constructed along M33 near 612, east of Lewiston. M33 is heavily travelled by people heading north and has been pretty much a dead spot, so I guess it will continue to be for the foreseeable future . You can see on the second pic where that new site was approved to go up, but has been axedSmiley Sad  On a similar note, AT&T was supposed to construct a site in Trout Lake as well, but not going to happenSmiley Sad

IMG_20150322_182008.jpg

IMG_20150322_184906.jpg

Message 702 of 723
Scholar

Re: Will Northeast MI ever receive 3G?

Well, looks like I will be eating some Crow for dinner tonight. Just got the word that AT&T turned up LTE this afternoon on the Lewiston site.Smiley Happy
Message 703 of 723
Professor

I'd like to see when Drummond Island gets LTE.

Message 704 of 723
Scholar

I would as well. Still don't know if that new site on the island is running UMTS yet or not. Map still shows EDGE.
Message 705 of 723
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements...

Are you Missing Your BOGO Credits? If so, QuarryRye can you help figure out what happened and what to do about it!

Additional Support