Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Will Northeast MI ever receive 3G?

Explorer

Will Northeast MI ever receive 3G?

I've heard talk about how ATT is "working on their network coverage" and plans to provide 3G service in Northeast MI "in the coming months".  Well, now that another 2 year contract has expired, I'm seriously wondering if I would be better off jumping to Verizon.  The EDGE data network up here if virtually useless.  5 full bars, yet extremely poor data transfer.  

Can anyone provide an HONEST answer as to when this coverage is planned to be upgraded???  Verizon has had 3G for quite a long while up here...

Message 1 of 723

Re: Will Northeast MI ever receive 3G?

Gladstone MI now has LTE.
Message 631 of 723
Scholar

Wow. Nice and hope they keep it rolling.

I wonder if they lit it up in Escanaba and surrounding sites as well?

Message 632 of 723

I didnt go to Escanaba today but I can check later this week. I would think since Gladstone has LTE Escanaba has it.

Message 633 of 723

Something is up with cell service here tonight. calls wont go through on my cell or my neighbors. Plus my parents and their neighbor have that AT&T wireless Home phone service and they cant make calls. I wonder if something is going on with the Lathrop tower? Unless it go hit in the storm we had come through last night. Oh when my neighbor tried to make a call on her cell phone a recording came on and said "emergency calls only".

Message 634 of 723
Scholar

That sounds strange. Usually when they are getting ready to activate new service, such as 3G or LTE, your phone or device seemlessly switches over most of the time when it is activated. Sometimes a reboot or Airplane mode toggle is necessary however. I have never experienced a loss of data and calling.

Message 635 of 723

AT&T said they are having problems in the U.P. Thats why the sevice is acting up.

Message 636 of 723
Scholar

The last few days my text messages are taking forever to go through. And I am in Sault Ste Marie.
Message 637 of 723
Scholar

As many problems there is with ATT in the UP, Verizon coverage is pretty bad up here. Verizon has many more gaps in coverage.
Message 638 of 723
Scholar

Drove up north yesterday and no new LTE to report. Disappointing to see that the sites along 75 haven't been upgraded yet, even though LTE equipment has been installed for quite a while. There is now LTE on the north side of Grayling as depicted on the map, but sites in Grayling are still 4G. Mapped it on Sensorly. 

3G speeds here in Lewiston have been terrible the last few days. Almost unusableSmiley Sad 

No change at the Lovells site. Still E.

Message 639 of 723

Escanaba, MI has LTE now.

Escanaba, MI has LTE now.
Message 640 of 723

Re: Escanaba, MI has LTE now.

EDIT: read the map wrong.

Message 641 of 723
Scholar

It has been silent regarding network upgrades across MI....

It has been silent regarding network upgrades across MI. There hasn't even been any LTE expansions north of the current Metro Detroit area Lapeer, St Clair, and Tuscola counties.
Message 642 of 723

Re: It has been silent regarding network upgrades across MI....

It's August 4th and no 4G at the Lathrop tower. I checked out the new tower in Arnold and the tower up. The panels have been installed and there is a flashing light at the top of the tower but, service is not turned on. I got the No Service message standing right next to the tower.

IMG_0564.JPG

Message 643 of 723
Scholar

American Ninja:

Very nice pic of that new tower. If you zoom in you can see that it is definately AT&T's equipment  and looks to have 3 panels per sector, 2 with RRU's ( Remote Radio Units). 

Well I do have some news, although the info I have given lately has turned out to be incorrect due to the spending freeze. Ok....from what I have heard there were around 50 sites that received LTE last month across MI. There are over 300 sites scheduled to get LTE this month. Which ones I don't know but all sites in Michigan will not be getting LTE by the end of the year like AT&T stated earlier this year, unfortunately. I would guess the Lathrop site will have LTE sometime this month.

Message 644 of 723

AT&T just updated their coverage map. They added "HD Voice". I used to be in a good coverage area now it shows no voice coverage at all in my area. This just keeps getting better and better, no 4G from Lathrop tower and now no voice coverage. Smiley Frustrated Unless they're working on upgrading the Lathrop tower to HD voice and 4G?

Message 645 of 723
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Do you need to fix, replace or track a device? We Can Help With That!

Additional Support