Check for service outages
Mjrtom7's profile

Explorer

• 

25 Messages

Wednesday, September 19th, 2012 6:57 PM

Closed

Will Northeast MI ever receive 3G?

I've heard talk about how ATT is "working on their network coverage" and plans to provide 3G service in Northeast MI "in the coming months".  Well, now that another 2 year contract has expired, I'm seriously wondering if I would be better off jumping to Verizon.  The EDGE data network up here if virtually useless.  5 full bars, yet extremely poor data transfer.  

Can anyone provide an HONEST answer as to when this coverage is planned to be upgraded???  Verizon has had 3G for quite a long while up here...

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

10 years ago

It should be anytime now.

It has been awfully quiet this last couple of weeks across Michigan as far as tower activations go. I have been waiting for a reply from my contact for a week or so which tells me he is busy. Hopefully, there will be some action this week.

Scholar

• 

151 Messages

10 years ago

Still no change here. They must have ran into problems at the Lathrop tower.

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

10 years ago

American Ninja:

That stinks. When you get a chance to swing by the Lathrop site, check to see if there is a new Microwave dish installed on it. My contact said that site was scheduled to get UMTS(3G) last month and receive ethernet backhaul via Microwave in mid-June. That is what the system was telling him but that wouldn't make sense which leads me to believe they won't launch 3G until they have ethernet in place. The good news is ethernet is scheduled very soon and there's a good chance they will launch 3G and HSPA+ at the same time, followed by LTE shortly after. By the end of July, that site along with many others are supposed to have LTE turned up 🙂

It has to be frustrating, but hang in there because the end of the EDGE data network is near!! People who have stuck with AT&T will be glad they did . After they get LTE turned up on all sites with fast HSPA+ to fall back to in fringe areas, activate new towers, and fire up carrier aggregation(spectrum bonding) they will blow Big Red right out of the water.

Edit:    Looking at the pics in a previous post, AT&T was prepping the Lathrop site for Ethernet backhaul via fiber. For them to change to Microwave, that tells me that AT&T is no longer waiting for Frontier and other companies to bring in fiber where AT&T may not legally be able to run their own. This seems to be the case in other areas as well including the Thumb, where Microwave dishes are popping up on several sites. They may in the future run fiber to the Lathrop site, however.

Scholar

• 

151 Messages

10 years ago

I might get a chance to go by the tower this afternoon. I don't know what the hold up is. They ran fiber last fall along M-35 right to the driveway by the tower. I don't know what the trouble would be.

Scholar

• 

151 Messages

10 years ago

Drove past the Lathrop tower today, nothing new to report.

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

10 years ago

That is a bummer but hopefully very soon!

New LTE and HSPA+ activations have cooled way off this last few weeks. Just a quick note, there is no LTE coverage anywhere in or around Grayling as shown on the map. Drove through there Saturday night and all sites in town including the one 3 miles north on I-75 are still 4G. You have to be within a few miles of Frederick before picking it up.

MNelly420:

I drove up to the site in Lovells this past weekend and is still E. However, there are fresh tracks going into the site area which is very remote. There is definately LTE equipment on it but unfortunately, there is no Microwave dish and the new fiber heading towards the tower is 6 miles away but has stopped for some reason. No sign of planned utility work continuing on either(orange flags, paint, trenching equipment,etc.). Hopefully they will backhaul this site from Grayling via Microwave!! Here are a few pics.

P1150157.JPG

P1150155.JPG

P1150151.JPG

3 Attachments

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

10 years ago

Came across this article this morning which could be part of the problem regarding network upgrades in Michigan. Scroll down and it explains about a spending freeze on it's network.

EDIT: A very tragic accident as well for the worker!

http://www.wirelessestimator.com/breaking_news.cfm#capex_freeze

Scholar

• 

173 Messages

10 years ago

LTEup and running in Pickford.

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

10 years ago

Awesome JREwing53!!!

I am willing to bet Cedarville and De Tour are live as well. Any word on that new site on Drummond?

Scholar

• 

151 Messages

10 years ago

Hmm...wonder if anything is going on at the Lathrop tower today? I'm getting No service on and off on my phone when usually I get 4-5 bars of Edge. Unless it has something to do with the weather but it's sunny out. I don't know if weather really affects the cell singal all that much.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.