Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Sep 19, 2012
11:57:40 AM
View profile
Will Northeast MI ever receive 3G?

I've heard talk about how ATT is "working on their network coverage" and plans to provide 3G service in Northeast MI "in the coming months".  Well, now that another 2 year contract has expired, I'm seriously wondering if I would be better off jumping to Verizon.  The EDGE data network up here if virtually useless.  5 full bars, yet extremely poor data transfer.  

Can anyone provide an HONEST answer as to when this coverage is planned to be upgraded???  Verizon has had 3G for quite a long while up here...

I've heard talk about how ATT is "working on their network coverage" and plans to provide 3G service in Northeast MI "in the coming months".  Well, now that another 2 year contract has expired, I'm seriously wondering if I would be better off jumping to Verizon.  The EDGE data network up here if virtually useless.  5 full bars, yet extremely poor data transfer.  

Can anyone provide an HONEST answer as to when this coverage is planned to be upgraded???  Verizon has had 3G for quite a long while up here...

Will Northeast MI ever receive 3G?

721 replies
(2) Me too
(2) Me too
View all replies
(721)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 22, 2014 7:36:24 PM
(0)
Scholar

Was across much of the UP today. Newberry is LTE. Marquette is not yet on LTE. 

Suprisingly, I was in Gwinn, and all of that area is still on Edge. 

Was across much of the UP today. Newberry is LTE. Marquette is not yet on LTE. 

Suprisingly, I was in Gwinn, and all of that area is still on Edge. 

Re: Will Northeast MI ever receive 3G?

601 of 722 (6,768 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 28, 2014 10:00:46 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by American Ninja on May 28, 2014 at 10:01:06 AM

No changes here yet.

No changes here yet.

[ Edited ]
602 of 722 (6,574 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 28, 2014 7:29:04 PM
(0)
Tutor

does Lovells have 3G yet?

does Lovells have 3G yet?

603 of 722 (6,544 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 29, 2014 10:06:49 AM
(0)
Scholar
MNelly420.......unfortunately the Lovells site is still Edge. From what I was told, they probably won't have that site running 3G/LTE until the end of this year. It could happen sooner but there seems to be several issues with that particular one. I traveled all the roads around Lovells this past weekend and there is absolutely no sign of fiber being run towards it and no Microwave equipment on the tower either. Again, it could happen sooner and if I hear anything else I will post it.

I did a ton of traveling around this past weekend and can say many sites have LTE panels on them including Grayling, Rogers City, Atlanta, Mancelona, Kalkaska, Johannesburg, and the one sight just north of Lewiston. I was also told that LTE is scheduled to go live on a vast majority of sites by the end of July, including the U.P.

There are other towers still on E that are supposed to get 3G sometime this week. This is the info I was given, so hopefully things will go as scheduled.

MNelly420.......unfortunately the Lovells site is still Edge. From what I was told, they probably won't have that site running 3G/LTE until the end of this year. It could happen sooner but there seems to be several issues with that particular one. I traveled all the roads around Lovells this past weekend and there is absolutely no sign of fiber being run towards it and no Microwave equipment on the tower either. Again, it could happen sooner and if I hear anything else I will post it.

I did a ton of traveling around this past weekend and can say many sites have LTE panels on them including Grayling, Rogers City, Atlanta, Mancelona, Kalkaska, Johannesburg, and the one sight just north of Lewiston. I was also told that LTE is scheduled to go live on a vast majority of sites by the end of July, including the U.P.

There are other towers still on E that are supposed to get 3G sometime this week. This is the info I was given, so hopefully things will go as scheduled.

604 of 722 (6,516 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 29, 2014 10:13:59 AM
(0)
Scholar
JREwing53:

Have they run Ethernet backhaul to the site in Pickford yet? If you see skinny white poles about 3 feet high with orange colored ends in the right of way, those are fiber markers. Or, have you noticed a Microwave dish installed on the tower? I am guessing that site will be lit up in the next couple of months.
JREwing53:

Have they run Ethernet backhaul to the site in Pickford yet? If you see skinny white poles about 3 feet high with orange colored ends in the right of way, those are fiber markers. Or, have you noticed a Microwave dish installed on the tower? I am guessing that site will be lit up in the next couple of months.

605 of 722 (6,515 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 29, 2014 7:29:42 PM
(0)
Tutor

Well hopefully the 3G signal i got near the southeast shore of Shupac Lk is a little stronger. That was back in early Oct.  I could get 1-3 bars and do stuff. Was good enough to stream espn and netflix.  Just had to keep my phone toward the lake side of the cabin.

Well hopefully the 3G signal i got near the southeast shore of Shupac Lk is a little stronger. That was back in early Oct.  I could get 1-3 bars and do stuff. Was good enough to stream espn and netflix.  Just had to keep my phone toward the lake side of the cabin.

606 of 722 (6,495 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 29, 2014 8:30:01 PM
(0)
Scholar

I hope they use Microwave from a neighboring site to get that tower up and running soon because that tower covers a fairly large area. My tablet has actually held 1 bar of 3G while sitting in front of the site but switches to E when heading back to Lewiston on 612.

I would have to think you were on either the Red Oak site or the tower near Waters (east side of 75). Sites in Gaylord, Otsego Lake, Waters, and Frederick are now running LTE. 

I hope they use Microwave from a neighboring site to get that tower up and running soon because that tower covers a fairly large area. My tablet has actually held 1 bar of 3G while sitting in front of the site but switches to E when heading back to Lewiston on 612.

I would have to think you were on either the Red Oak site or the tower near Waters (east side of 75). Sites in Gaylord, Otsego Lake, Waters, and Frederick are now running LTE. 

607 of 722 (6,489 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 30, 2014 7:02:15 PM
(0)
Tutor

where exactly is the lovells tower located?

where exactly is the lovells tower located?

608 of 722 (6,086 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 30, 2014 8:14:17 PM
(0)
Scholar

This is the exact location of that site. You can't see it at all in Lovells unless you drive down Old 612 by the township hall. On the satellite view of Google maps you can see it as well.

You should get an excellent signal when they fire it up and I believe by late summer when most of Michigan has LTE, AT&T will put more of their resources on these problem sites and get them online sooner.

This is the exact location of that site. You can't see it at all in Lovells unless you drive down Old 612 by the township hall. On the satellite view of Google maps you can see it as well.

You should get an excellent signal when they fire it up and I believe by late summer when most of Michigan has LTE, AT&T will put more of their resources on these problem sites and get them online sooner.

609 of 722 (6,048 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 31, 2014 8:24:35 AM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks. I might take a look at it.

Thanks. I might take a look at it.

610 of 722 (5,812 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 1, 2014 9:14:38 AM
(0)
Scholar
No 4G at the Lathrop tower yet.
No 4G at the Lathrop tower yet.

611 of 722 (5,356 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 1, 2014 1:30:02 PM
(0)
Scholar
It should be anytime now.

It has been awfully quiet this last couple of weeks across Michigan as far as tower activations go. I have been waiting for a reply from my contact for a week or so which tells me he is busy. Hopefully, there will be some action this week.
It should be anytime now.

It has been awfully quiet this last couple of weeks across Michigan as far as tower activations go. I have been waiting for a reply from my contact for a week or so which tells me he is busy. Hopefully, there will be some action this week.

612 of 722 (5,265 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 6, 2014 10:01:15 AM
(0)
Scholar

Still no change here. They must have ran into problems at the Lathrop tower.

Still no change here. They must have ran into problems at the Lathrop tower.

613 of 722 (4,107 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 8, 2014 9:33:00 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by Lewyman on Jun 8, 2014 at 12:03:56 PM

American Ninja:

That stinks. When you get a chance to swing by the Lathrop site, check to see if there is a new Microwave dish installed on it. My contact said that site was scheduled to get UMTS(3G) last month and receive ethernet backhaul via Microwave in mid-June. That is what the system was telling him but that wouldn't make sense which leads me to believe they won't launch 3G until they have ethernet in place. The good news is ethernet is scheduled very soon and there's a good chance they will launch 3G and HSPA+ at the same time, followed by LTE shortly after. By the end of July, that site along with many others are supposed to have LTE turned up Smiley Happy

It has to be frustrating, but hang in there because the end of the EDGE data network is near!! People who have stuck with AT&T will be glad they did . After they get LTE turned up on all sites with fast HSPA+ to fall back to in fringe areas, activate new towers, and fire up carrier aggregation(spectrum bonding) they will blow Big Red right out of the water.

Edit:    Looking at the pics in a previous post, AT&T was prepping the Lathrop site for Ethernet backhaul via fiber. For them to change to Microwave, that tells me that AT&T is no longer waiting for Frontier and other companies to bring in fiber where AT&T may not legally be able to run their own. This seems to be the case in other areas as well including the Thumb, where Microwave dishes are popping up on several sites. They may in the future run fiber to the Lathrop site, however.

American Ninja:

That stinks. When you get a chance to swing by the Lathrop site, check to see if there is a new Microwave dish installed on it. My contact said that site was scheduled to get UMTS(3G) last month and receive ethernet backhaul via Microwave in mid-June. That is what the system was telling him but that wouldn't make sense which leads me to believe they won't launch 3G until they have ethernet in place. The good news is ethernet is scheduled very soon and there's a good chance they will launch 3G and HSPA+ at the same time, followed by LTE shortly after. By the end of July, that site along with many others are supposed to have LTE turned up Smiley Happy

It has to be frustrating, but hang in there because the end of the EDGE data network is near!! People who have stuck with AT&T will be glad they did . After they get LTE turned up on all sites with fast HSPA+ to fall back to in fringe areas, activate new towers, and fire up carrier aggregation(spectrum bonding) they will blow Big Red right out of the water.

Edit:    Looking at the pics in a previous post, AT&T was prepping the Lathrop site for Ethernet backhaul via fiber. For them to change to Microwave, that tells me that AT&T is no longer waiting for Frontier and other companies to bring in fiber where AT&T may not legally be able to run their own. This seems to be the case in other areas as well including the Thumb, where Microwave dishes are popping up on several sites. They may in the future run fiber to the Lathrop site, however.

[ Edited ]
614 of 722 (4,075 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 9, 2014 7:31:36 AM
(0)
Scholar
I might get a chance to go by the tower this afternoon. I don't know what the hold up is. They ran fiber last fall along M-35 right to the driveway by the tower. I don't know what the trouble would be.
I might get a chance to go by the tower this afternoon. I don't know what the hold up is. They ran fiber last fall along M-35 right to the driveway by the tower. I don't know what the trouble would be.

615 of 722 (4,036 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 16, 2014 12:44:24 PM
(0)
Scholar

Drove past the Lathrop tower today, nothing new to report.

Drove past the Lathrop tower today, nothing new to report.

616 of 722 (3,832 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 16, 2014 8:51:27 PM
(0)
Scholar

That is a bummer but hopefully very soon!

New LTE and HSPA+ activations have cooled way off this last few weeks. Just a quick note, there is no LTE coverage anywhere in or around Grayling as shown on the map. Drove through there Saturday night and all sites in town including the one 3 miles north on I-75 are still 4G. You have to be within a few miles of Frederick before picking it up.

MNelly420:

I drove up to the site in Lovells this past weekend and is still E. However, there are fresh tracks going into the site area which is very remote. There is definately LTE equipment on it but unfortunately, there is no Microwave dish and the new fiber heading towards the tower is 6 miles away but has stopped for some reason. No sign of planned utility work continuing on either(orange flags, paint, trenching equipment,etc.). Hopefully they will backhaul this site from Grayling via Microwave!! Here are a few pics.

That is a bummer but hopefully very soon!

New LTE and HSPA+ activations have cooled way off this last few weeks. Just a quick note, there is no LTE coverage anywhere in or around Grayling as shown on the map. Drove through there Saturday night and all sites in town including the one 3 miles north on I-75 are still 4G. You have to be within a few miles of Frederick before picking it up.

MNelly420:

I drove up to the site in Lovells this past weekend and is still E. However, there are fresh tracks going into the site area which is very remote. There is definately LTE equipment on it but unfortunately, there is no Microwave dish and the new fiber heading towards the tower is 6 miles away but has stopped for some reason. No sign of planned utility work continuing on either(orange flags, paint, trenching equipment,etc.). Hopefully they will backhaul this site from Grayling via Microwave!! Here are a few pics.

617 of 722 (3,804 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 20, 2014 6:56:25 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by Lewyman on Jun 20, 2014 at 7:36:06 AM

Came across this article this morning which could be part of the problem regarding network upgrades in Michigan. Scroll down and it explains about a spending freeze on it's network.

EDIT: A very tragic accident as well for the worker!

http://www.wirelessestimator.com/breaking_news.cfm#capex_freeze

Came across this article this morning which could be part of the problem regarding network upgrades in Michigan. Scroll down and it explains about a spending freeze on it's network.

EDIT: A very tragic accident as well for the worker!

http://www.wirelessestimator.com/breaking_news.cfm#capex_freeze

[ Edited ]
618 of 722 (3,336 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 24, 2014 11:27:30 AM
(0)
Scholar

LTEup and running in Pickford.

LTEup and running in Pickford.

619 of 722 (2,733 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 24, 2014 11:43:02 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by Lewyman on Jun 24, 2014 at 11:53:11 AM

Awesome JREwing53!!!

I am willing to bet Cedarville and De Tour are live as well. Any word on that new site on Drummond?

Awesome JREwing53!!!

I am willing to bet Cedarville and De Tour are live as well. Any word on that new site on Drummond?

[ Edited ]
620 of 722 (2,730 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 26, 2014 11:02:32 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by American Ninja on Jun 26, 2014 at 11:05:30 AM

Hmm...wonder if anything is going on at the Lathrop tower today? I'm getting No service on and off on my phone when usually I get 4-5 bars of Edge. Unless it has something to do with the weather but it's sunny out. I don't know if weather really affects the cell singal all that much.

Hmm...wonder if anything is going on at the Lathrop tower today? I'm getting No service on and off on my phone when usually I get 4-5 bars of Edge. Unless it has something to do with the weather but it's sunny out. I don't know if weather really affects the cell singal all that much.

[ Edited ]
621 of 722 (2,646 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 26, 2014 12:45:54 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by Lewyman on Jun 26, 2014 at 1:48:25 PM

Truthfully, I have never had a problem with cell/data service from AT&T or Verizon. Snow storms and heavy rain actually seem to make the signal better..Lol

They are probably getting ready to fire it upSmiley Happy

I am really surprised that AT&T hasn't put a tower up in or near the Trout Lake area. While camping up there a few years ago, voice connectivity was poor on E so I can't believe there is a usable 4G data signal as the coverage map depicts. 

Truthfully, I have never had a problem with cell/data service from AT&T or Verizon. Snow storms and heavy rain actually seem to make the signal better..Lol

They are probably getting ready to fire it upSmiley Happy

I am really surprised that AT&T hasn't put a tower up in or near the Trout Lake area. While camping up there a few years ago, voice connectivity was poor on E so I can't believe there is a usable 4G data signal as the coverage map depicts. 

[ Edited ]
622 of 722 (2,617 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 26, 2014 7:43:17 PM
(0)
Scholar

Well I drove past the Lathrop tower on my way to Gwinn today and there were guys on the tower. They werent up by the panels but in the middle of the tower at the time I drove by. On the way back everyone was gone no more vehicles or trailers in the driveway.

Well I drove past the Lathrop tower on my way to Gwinn today and there were guys on the tower. They werent up by the panels but in the middle of the tower at the time I drove by. On the way back everyone was gone no more vehicles or trailers in the driveway.

623 of 722 (2,471 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 27, 2014 6:51:11 AM
(0)
Scholar
Nice! Is there 2 or 3 panels per sector on that site now? Or a microwave dish?
Nice! Is there 2 or 3 panels per sector on that site now? Or a microwave dish?

624 of 722 (2,352 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 27, 2014 7:10:26 AM
(0)
Scholar

There are only 3 panel antennas on the tower. Those have been the since January. I didnt notice any new equipment on the tower. Maybe they were changing the guide wires, the last time I stopped and looked at the tower I saw they poured new cement anchor points for the wires.

There are only 3 panel antennas on the tower. Those have been the since January. I didnt notice any new equipment on the tower. Maybe they were changing the guide wires, the last time I stopped and looked at the tower I saw they poured new cement anchor points for the wires.

625 of 722 (2,349 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 27, 2014 9:00:24 AM
(0)
Voyager
Can anyone tell me if at&t works in mikado. I am just confused because a friend uses straight talk with a at&t sim card and she had no service at my house. Does at&t lease all towers or only some to straight talk. I want to switch to at&t but not until I know I will have service at my house. At&t shows coverage for my area. I am just confused. Thanks Smiley Happy
Can anyone tell me if at&t works in mikado. I am just confused because a friend uses straight talk with a at&t sim card and she had no service at my house. Does at&t lease all towers or only some to straight talk. I want to switch to at&t but not until I know I will have service at my house. At&t shows coverage for my area. I am just confused. Thanks Smiley Happy

626 of 722 (2,334 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 27, 2014 9:07:18 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by Lewyman on Jun 27, 2014 at 9:10:29 AM

American Ninja:

OK. They may have been securing that site like you suggested before. Hopefully that site will still be completed even though AT&T has suspended most of it's wireless network upgrades. I guess we will have to wait and see how this will affect MI.

American Ninja:

OK. They may have been securing that site like you suggested before. Hopefully that site will still be completed even though AT&T has suspended most of it's wireless network upgrades. I guess we will have to wait and see how this will affect MI.

[ Edited ]
627 of 722 (2,331 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 27, 2014 11:53:54 AM
(0)
Scholar
@momof5kids:

AT&T's voice and data coverage maps are slightly exaggerated right now to say the least. I haven't been through there in a while but looking at the proximity of Mikado to AT&T's towers, I would say voice coverage would be shotty at best. I would recommend getting a phone for a 14 day or so trial to see if it in fact works. With the old analog system it would work well in that area, but with new digital devices not so much.
@momof5kids:

AT&T's voice and data coverage maps are slightly exaggerated right now to say the least. I haven't been through there in a while but looking at the proximity of Mikado to AT&T's towers, I would say voice coverage would be shotty at best. I would recommend getting a phone for a 14 day or so trial to see if it in fact works. With the old analog system it would work well in that area, but with new digital devices not so much.

628 of 722 (2,280 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 27, 2014 2:06:25 PM
(0)
Voyager

@Lewyman  Thanks for the advice Smiley Happy 

@Lewyman  Thanks for the advice Smiley Happy 

629 of 722 (2,225 Views)