Check for service outages
Mjrtom7's profile

Explorer

• 

25 Messages

Wednesday, September 19th, 2012 6:57 PM

Closed

Will Northeast MI ever receive 3G?

I've heard talk about how ATT is "working on their network coverage" and plans to provide 3G service in Northeast MI "in the coming months".  Well, now that another 2 year contract has expired, I'm seriously wondering if I would be better off jumping to Verizon.  The EDGE data network up here if virtually useless.  5 full bars, yet extremely poor data transfer.  

Can anyone provide an HONEST answer as to when this coverage is planned to be upgraded???  Verizon has had 3G for quite a long while up here...

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

10 years ago

@c0n wrote:

So last night we drove from Iron Mountain to Iron River for my daughter's basketball tourney....

she dropped 14pts and had 10rebs and 2blocks....i love my 5'9" 13yr old Kareem Abdul Jabbar....

We pull into West Iron's parking lot and I see a flash of 4g then the wifi kicks in and i didn't think more about it because like i said, it's happened a couple of places around here.

We get home and the other guy who coaches with me asks what the weird symbol is next to his bars because there's usually an E there. He's not very tech friendly.

I look at mine and lo and behold 4g.....

I turned my phone off and back on and 4g. I took a drive around town under the premise that "mom's at grandma and grandpa's helping them out and i'll take you out to eat"...

4g all through town now.

I would have been happy with Edge that would load a simple page or email, but since that hasn't happened in roughly 8yrs, so if 4g will, I'll take it.

The statement I bolded above made me chuckle. Nice comparison - and a "GREAT JOB" to your daughter, by the way! I'm in Bay City and an apparent star (6' 3" sophomore) just transferred from AuGres to our Bangor John Glenn girl's varsity basketball team. Needless to say, AuGres was devastated, but Glenn welcomed her with open arms! 😄

It's kind of strange to jump straight from EDGE to 4G LTE. It seems like there should have been some middle ground (3G) several years ago. Needless to say, glad to hear that AT&T has expanded its network to include some of the "less populated" areas around the state. 

Enjoy your LTE speeds - you make me want to upgrade to a newer LTE-capable smartphone! 😛

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

10 years ago

@broski0508 wrote:

LTE is now live in Midland, MI! This was turned on last week and the coverage map is still not updated for all of midland. After running a speed test this was the result

speedtest.png

Keep up the work ATT!

Awesome! It's about darn time! I figured that Midland wouldn't have been far behind Bay City/Saginaw. 

Nice temp by the way. I feel ya on that one! 😉

1 Attachment

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

10 years ago

AT&T has upgraded the coverage map this morning. There are several sites in MI that been upgraded to HSPA+, including a site in Kingsford/Iron Mountain. It appears there is some new LTE west of Midland as well so AT&T is slowly continuing to upgrade.

Scholar

• 

136 Messages

10 years ago

Looks like the map update shows the new cell site in Rogers City as HSPA+. This was previously UMTS (3G). Weird because it's still only using 4 T1's for backhaul and I haven't seen fiber ran to the site yet.

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

10 years ago

The Thumb area has a few new HSPA+ sites that are still on T-1's as well. In fact, the areas around Sandusky are slower than UMTS in NE MI. Lol

Can someone in the western U.P. verify if the AT&T site near Amasa (NW of Crystal Falls on 141) is HSPA+ or still on Edge? The coverage map shows a small square of HSPA+ centered at the site. Either that, or the coverage map is Wonky again!!

Screenshot_2014-02-16-14-31-03.png

Screenshot_2014-02-16-14-31-17.png

2 Attachments

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

10 years ago

AT&T turned up LTE in Traverse City last night. Band 5.

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

10 years ago

@Lewyman wrote:
AT&T turned up LTE in Traverse City last night. Band 5.

GREAT! I'm sure all the tourists will appreciate that! 😄

Scholar

• 

136 Messages

10 years ago

AT&T is currently drive testing LTE in Presque Isle, Cheboygan, and Otsego counties. Should be live very soon. 

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

10 years ago

AT&T LTE went live in Cheboygan and Charlevoix last night.

Scholar

• 

173 Messages

10 years ago

Hopefully, it won't be long before we see LTE here in the UP.

Lot's of tech upgrades coming this year. We are supposed to have 50mg internet speeds here in six months according to CenturyLink. And hopefully LTE this year would be an added bonus.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.