Check for service outages
Mjrtom7's profile

Explorer

• 

25 Messages

Wednesday, September 19th, 2012 6:57 PM

Closed

Will Northeast MI ever receive 3G?

I've heard talk about how ATT is "working on their network coverage" and plans to provide 3G service in Northeast MI "in the coming months".  Well, now that another 2 year contract has expired, I'm seriously wondering if I would be better off jumping to Verizon.  The EDGE data network up here if virtually useless.  5 full bars, yet extremely poor data transfer.  

Can anyone provide an HONEST answer as to when this coverage is planned to be upgraded???  Verizon has had 3G for quite a long while up here...

Scholar

• 

136 Messages

10 years ago

None of the 2G sites have been tuned down. All are still active from my experience, they just aren't depicting their coverage anymore on the maps. 

Scholar

• 

151 Messages

10 years ago

On the coverage map its been showing no voice or data coverage in my area for the past few weeks.. We used to be in the moderate range but, now its nothing. weird. I dont know if they are reworking the map or what.

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

10 years ago

We still have Edge...as far as I know. My Gnex decided it was time to die. Stuck using the janky feature phone we use for a house phone until new one gets here. I don't even remember how to use it. Wife called me 3x in a row this morning because I didn't answer and I was spamming buttons like I was playing Track and Field...

I accidentally shut it off and when I booted it back up, the 3g box came up. We don't have internet on the phone, just text/voice, so I couldn't test it out....

Scholar

• 

151 Messages

10 years ago

Still nothing from the Lathrop tower.

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

10 years ago

It should be any day now for the Lathrop tower to be fired up with UMTS/3G.

I just heard through the grapevine that AT&T is almost set to begin testing LTE in the Traverse City area. When they do, they will launch on either band 5/850 MHz or band 4/AWS. I don't think they have any 700 MHz spectrum there yet. Northern MI will get a whole lot "brighter" by the middle of next summer:)

Scholar

• 

151 Messages

10 years ago

I stopped by the Lathrop tower today and the broadband panels are up.

Here are some pics.:

tower

tower2

Links to larger images:

http://i.imgur.com/qsIe0v2.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/wOemLgv.jpg?1

2 Attachments

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

10 years ago

Very cool. Every now and then toggle Airplane mode to see if they've fired 3G up because I am predicting it will go live this weekend. Oddly enough, there are several sites I have seen in northeast lower MI that have the same setup of 1 (new) broadband panel per sector. That is to get UMTS/HSPA+ deployed quickly but they will more than likely be installing additional panels before they launch LTE.

Scholar

• 

151 Messages

10 years ago

It's not live yet. All i get is 2 bars for 4G right now compared to 4 or 5 bars of edge. When I went to the tower it stayed on E, I got 5 full bars of E right next to the tower.

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

10 years ago

@Lewyman wrote:

With Midland being along 10 and so close to Mt Pleasant and Saginaw/Bay City, I am guessing they will have LTE service there before March of 2014.

I'm surprised to hear that AT&T has not deployed LTE markets in Midland. Midland has quite a large population comparable to both Saginaw and Bay City. I guess you'd think that since Midland is considered a "Tri-City", they would have had LTE up and running by now. Hmmm...

It's still great to see AT&T investing more money in network upgrades in the state of Michigan, especially in the northern counties. After all, they have some of the best views and likely draw the most tourists in the whole state. 🙂

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

10 years ago

The voice (2G) coverage has been restored on the coverage map.Smiley Wink

I agree, it is surprising that Midland isn't covered with LTE yet, but it appears they have fired up some new coverage south of Midland so it shouldn't be long before they get it. For what ever reason, AT&T has only upgraded a hand full of towers this last month and a half, and my source hasn't been able to find out why. Hopefully. the rest of the sites will get tuned up in the final push this week.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.