Will Northeast MI ever receive 3G?

Explorer

Will Northeast MI ever receive 3G?

I've heard talk about how ATT is "working on their network coverage" and plans to provide 3G service in Northeast MI "in the coming months".  Well, now that another 2 year contract has expired, I'm seriously wondering if I would be better off jumping to Verizon.  The EDGE data network up here if virtually useless.  5 full bars, yet extremely poor data transfer.  

Can anyone provide an HONEST answer as to when this coverage is planned to be upgraded???  Verizon has had 3G for quite a long while up here...

Message 1 of 722 (43,733 Views)

Re: Will Northeast MI ever receive 3G?

[ Edited ]

It looks like they are startting to run the cable. I saw a spool of cable coming down from a telephone poll. I know charter internet runs along the highway on the poles, so they must be tapping into charters line for the fiber?

Message 466 of 722 (14,919 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

American Ninja,

Quite possibly and I am betting that Lathrop will be lit up within 2-3 weeksSmiley HappySmiley Happy  My source did say that all towers in will be upgraded by the end of November...except for a handful of stragglers. There's already several towers that were very recently upgraded to 3G, that have been tuned up with HSPA+ ( Ironwood, Posen, West Branch, Houghton Lake, and St. Helen)  It won't be long now before the dredded "E" makes way for "4G"

If you get a chance, would you see if you can dial into FieldTest mode on your iPhone. Guys are doing this on another thread with their iPhones(on Verizon) to check Frequency Band Indicator and Download/Upload Bandwidth (carrier size in MHz...5/10/20 etc.).   This can be done by dialing *3001#12345#*  then going to Serving Cell  and wait for the list to populate. I don't know if AT&T allows this access but I am curious to see what results you get. I have an Android so I cannot utilize the code.

Message 467 of 722 (14,903 Views)

I tried that and it doesnt show anything for "Serving Cell".

Message 468 of 722 (14,788 Views)
c0n
Mentor

will be nice when the actual coverage matches what the coverage map shows. 

As I posted awhile ago (been way too busy), I had HSPA at my daughter's soccer game near Ford Airport in Kingsford.

That was the one and only time.

For the past few weeks, the coverage map has shown 3g in Iron Mountain/Kingsford. Nothing yet. Haven't seen trucks or anyone working.

I had a booth at a semi-local gun/knife show in Goodman, Wisconsin this past weekend and had hspa. Goodman, Wisconsin has about 12 people in it.

This is getting ignorant because EDGE is like using a 14.4 baud modem.

Message 469 of 722 (14,704 Views)
Scholar

Thanks for trying that code American Ninja. AT&T must have that network feature blocked. I am in Manistee this week and seen an AT&T truck with guys working on the pole yesterday. I thought all of northern MI was Frontier. Hmmm

c0n.... I would say those towers showing 3G now should light up soon. There have been a lot of anomalies with the coverage viewer lately including the "Voice" coverage map. That is the indicator for tower location but many tower locations aren't depicted properly. Have the cell sites by you been fitted with broadband panels yet? Pretty much all sites are supposed to have HSPA+ activated by years end.

Message 470 of 722 (14,682 Views)
Scholar

AT&T is the ILEC for Manistee county. Frontier assets are mainly NE, mid-central, and SE MI. I've attached a little ILEC gem to this post Smiley Wink good for cross checking when work to the lines is observed.

Message 471 of 722 (14,640 Views)
Scholar

Nice map Tpeltz. Wow....I wouldn't have guessed it was divided up like that!!

I was keeping a close watch on my AT&T device during my travels hoping to find a pocket of new LTE but nothing yet.
Message 472 of 722 (14,621 Views)
c0n
Mentor

Lewyman- I'll take a drive today and see.

Message 473 of 722 (14,607 Views)
c0n
Mentor

Hopefully they're bringing it online soon. Was out with my wife for lunch today and kept cycling from E to 3G to H and then would settle on Edge.

Message 474 of 722 (14,513 Views)
Scholar

They are testing and should be online very soon. Did you have full bars while it was switching on 3G? AT&T should be lighting up quite a few towers in the western U.P. very shortly.
Message 475 of 722 (14,508 Views)
Highlighted
Scholar

Just looking at the coverage map and noticed one (of the two) towers on Beaver Island has 3G. Really??? Lol
Message 476 of 722 (14,501 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

This is a bit off topic but AT&T has fired up LTE in the Port Huron area. 

Message 477 of 722 (14,497 Views)

[ Edited ]

Well I stopped by the Lathrop tower today, about half way there I saw this on the side of the road:

When I got to the tower there were a bunch of vehicles there. So they are working on it.

Link to bigger picture: http://i.imgur.com/KRqpFBV.jpg

Message 478 of 722 (14,238 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

Very Nice American Ninja!!!

It's probably a safe bet to say they are working on the backhaul to the Lathrop towerSmiley Happy  If the crews have been working on the site, it will be lit up within two weeks at the most. They updated the coverage map and it shows several new towers with UMTS in the U.P. and one thats been upgraded to HSPA+.

Not all service may be active yet, as the map has been showing coverage before it is actually turned on. Real progress has been made which has been a long time coming! Smiley Happy

Message 479 of 722 (14,216 Views)
Teacher

Doesn't seem like too many people are too concerned, but keep an eye out for some new Sensorly mapping in the U.P. this weekend.

Message 480 of 722 (14,114 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.