Check for service outages
Mjrtom7's profile

Explorer

• 

25 Messages

Wednesday, September 19th, 2012 6:57 PM

Closed

Will Northeast MI ever receive 3G?

I've heard talk about how ATT is "working on their network coverage" and plans to provide 3G service in Northeast MI "in the coming months".  Well, now that another 2 year contract has expired, I'm seriously wondering if I would be better off jumping to Verizon.  The EDGE data network up here if virtually useless.  5 full bars, yet extremely poor data transfer.  

Can anyone provide an HONEST answer as to when this coverage is planned to be upgraded???  Verizon has had 3G for quite a long while up here...

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

11 years ago

Unfortunately, the spectrum deal with Verizon won't help Michigan.

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

11 years ago

American Ninja

It shouldn't be long now for your area. Is the tower in McFarland the one that will serve your house?? If so, I will try to find out when it will be upgraded. The tower in Mio only had the omni directional antennas the weekend of Aug 17&18. Less than three weeks, it had broadband panels installed and active HSPA/UMTS service on it when I drove through Sept 8. That's pretty good.

Scholar

• 

151 Messages

11 years ago

Yep, thats the one nearest to my house. No 4G yet. I'm on wifi at my house so I turn off my phone's wifi every now and then to see if 4G has been turned on. That would be cool if you could find out when that tower will be upgraded. I found out the tower isnt in McFarland its right before it in Lathrop. Its right across the road from Lathrop 42.25 Lane Rd by M-35.

That's cool the Mio tower got upgraded. Last I checked the Lathrop tower was on August 31st, and it didn't have any panel antennas on it yet.

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

11 years ago

American Ninja....

OK, I got some info on that tower near you I will pass along. That site along with several others in the western U.P. are scheduled for upgraded service sometime in November,  at which time AT&T expects to have their 3G rollout in Michigan pretty much complete....with the exception of those sites that are going to be rebuilt or relocated. Also, several more sites went live this week with more to soon follow and at the same time AT&T is also continuing to upgrade current 3G sites to HSPA+. So it isn't going to be long now before there is pretty much statewide 3G/HSPA/UMTS coverage. Finally!!!!!

Hopefully they upgrade your tower sooner but it definately won't be long now:)

Scholar

• 

151 Messages

11 years ago

Wow, cool! Thanks for the info! I'll keep checking the tower for activity and will post back when they start working on it. 2 months isnt that long to wait. Can't wait! Smiley Happy

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

11 years ago

Hey now.  Just having my lunch here in Oscoda, Michigan, at the old air base.  And what should I find on my iphone? 

My 4G icon is lit up!  Whee!  I celebrated by watching two, yes TWO videos.  

I was down in the Standish/Omer area on Friday, and the 4G icon is on down that way too, and operational.  Video streamed just fine for us.  Though it still faded out just before the M-65/US-23 intersection while heading North.

I'll have to see how far south the high speed signal goes when I drive back home at 4pm.  

So, that's great news.  Finally.  😄

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

11 years ago

Cool. I drove up 23 Friday night from 75 to Tawas and across 55 and the 4G was on in Omer and Tawas. Downtown Standish was still E. I heard last Wednesday the largest areas with towers still on E are the western U.P. and a triangle shaped area from Standish to Oscoda to West Branch(West Branch is live) but obviously they are closing the gaps. Probably 95% or more of the towers in NE MI are upgraded now along with most of the thumb area. Wonder how long it will be before LTE starts showing up.....on either bands 4 or 5.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

11 years ago

4G was on for me Oscoda to Tawas; with about three miles roughly halfway where it was still "4G", but the speeds dropped terribly, down to .28 mbps.  But in Oscoda, and Tawas, speeds were up around 2 - 3 mbps.  😄

4G hung on going South on US-23 to about Alabaster, where it dropped back into the Edge Network.  

I'm hopeful of more tower upgrades.  But this is fantasically better for around here, truly.

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

11 years ago

The new coverage map is out this morning. The areas are filling in nicely and there are towers that are live but not depicted on the newest map yet. Awesome!

Scholar

• 

151 Messages

11 years ago

cool. They must have just updated it because I checked earlier this morning and it was the same old map. Still on edge out here.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.