Will Northeast MI ever receive 3G?

Explorer

Will Northeast MI ever receive 3G?

I've heard talk about how ATT is "working on their network coverage" and plans to provide 3G service in Northeast MI "in the coming months".  Well, now that another 2 year contract has expired, I'm seriously wondering if I would be better off jumping to Verizon.  The EDGE data network up here if virtually useless.  5 full bars, yet extremely poor data transfer.  

Can anyone provide an HONEST answer as to when this coverage is planned to be upgraded???  Verizon has had 3G for quite a long while up here...

Message 1 of 722 (44,150 Views)
Scholar

Re: Will Northeast MI ever receive 3G?

AT&T's target date is end of September for a vast majority of sites to have HSPA or 3G. By the end of this year, all of those sites are supposed to be upgraded from that to HSPA+. Fiber Ethernet backhaul will be the issue and that is supposed to go hand and hand with LTE activations.
Message 406 of 722 (14,752 Views)

[ Edited ]

I was in Gladstone last night and decided to do a few speed tests. The speed has been lowered a lot than when it first launched in July sometime.

when I did some speed tests back in July I was getting around 5-8.

Message 407 of 722 (14,747 Views)
Scholar

There is probably a lot more traffic on that tower now that people know about the '4G" and I have noticed the speeds have been a bit slow this past week here as well. I have received confirmation that HSPA+ is live completely along I-75 from the Ohio border all the way to Sault St. Marie. Very Cool!!
Message 408 of 722 (14,723 Views)

I confirmed on saturday between 182 and 202 was solid 4g. Spoke to ATT they said they are working on deploying that area  with 4g and that it should be completed by the first of the year. its looking better!!!!

Message 409 of 722 (14,691 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

Post edited:

Ok that's what I heard too pretty much from Tier 2 C.S.  The person that gave me the info yesterday oversees work on the towers in MI and said that there is now complete coverage along I-75 across MI. AT&T is working hard to get 3G overlay on most of the sites within 1-2 months with the exception of some of those old wooden mono poles  (former Dobson sites) that cannot be upgraded and will have to be rebuilt. What AT&T told you is what they told me as well, which is their entire network will have the first layer of 4G or HSPA+ by the end of the year. All the new coverage in northern MI right now is 3G and mostly on T-1 backhaul, and even though your phone might say 4G or H+.....that means those sites are HSPA+ ready. I will be traveling up this weekend so I will get to see if my info is correct.

Message 410 of 722 (14,685 Views)
Scholar

Lewyman,

What I suspect from what you say is that the air interface (software on the cell site) is 4G UMTS/HSPA+21, aka the latest GSM 3G technology. But the backhaul from the cell site to the switch/MSC is still on T-1. This solves the voice capacity problem but data will still be slow until Fiber Ethernet goes into the cell site. By then they can also activate the LTE mode on the cell site.

Message 411 of 722 (14,630 Views)
Scholar

Basically that is correct. Their goal is to have 3G overlay within a few months first, followed by HSPA+ by the end of the year. Then LTE on all sites by the end of 2014. I am skeptical however that they will have E.B. to all of their rural sites by years end.
Message 412 of 722 (14,626 Views)
Scholar

Traveled up north tonight. Had solid 4G on 75 from Bay City straight through to the St Helen exit (222) and mapped it on Sensorly. Someone else has mapped new 3G coverage in Tawas City/East Tawas area.
Message 413 of 722 (14,567 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

I know around NE MI (Presque Isle county, Cheboygan county, and Alpena county) AT&T had Frontier run fiber to all of their cell sites. None of the sites in those counties are using T1's now. This was finished back in June. 

Message 414 of 722 (14,493 Views)
Scholar

NE Lower MI update:

Towns that have new HSPA/UMTS service that's not on the map yet: Sterling, Alger, West Branch, Hillman, Lachine, Mio, and Rose City. 

Note: The Lovells tower still does not have broadband antennas installed yetSmiley Sad

Message 415 of 722 (14,477 Views)
Tutor

Come on Att! Get that Lovells tower going! I'll be up there first of Oct, hopefully its done by then.

Message 416 of 722 (14,440 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

MNelly420

I have received some news regarding the tower in Lovells, and unfortunately it's not good. That tower is an old RFB Cellular site, and there are some transport ( T-1) issues preventing AT&T from launching 3G/HSPA+ on that site at this time. From what I heard,  the projected launch on this tower in sometime in March 2014...possibly sooner or even later. That is probably why Tier 2 support didn't have any information regarding a network upgrade on this site when I talked to them back in July. All of the other sites around it now have HSPA/UMTSSmiley Happy

The one good thing I was told , is this site will have Fiber Ethernet backhaul to it when they launch HSPA+ and will also allow them to launch LTE on it sometime next year. For what ever reason, AT&T has opted to not use Microwave backhaul on this site. Sorry I don't have better news.

Message 417 of 722 (14,411 Views)
Tutor

Oh well. Hopefully by next summer then, or sooner for the locals sake. Doesn't sound like I'd have to go far though. We go into Lewiston regularly.

Message 418 of 722 (14,278 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

Personally,  because that tower covers such a large area I think it will be upgraded sooner. The biggest factor is waiting for fiber backhaul to the site.

Now.... because they opted not to go with Microwave, that could be a very good thing for the residents in the area and I am guessing they will use Frontier for the fiber backhaul. If in fact they do, Frontier will more than likely bring highspeed internet into Lovells. I don't know if they have any source of broadband there.... but Verizon's 3G service is pretty much non existant.

On a side note...AT&T's "4G" is pretty decent in Lewiston.

Message 419 of 722 (14,267 Views)
Highlighted

Saw this today:

AT&T agrees to LTE interoperability with smaller US carriers

Numerous regional US carriers have called for AT&T to support their 700MHz bands, which would give them the LTE devices and roaming coverage they need to compete with national rivals. These networks may soon get their wish: as part of an FCC-led deal, AT&T has agreed to support LTE on the 700MHz A Block frequencies held by smaller providers. While AT&T is short on details, it's already modifying its network to support the additional bands. Compatible devices will arrive in a "reasonable time frame," the telecom giant says. The commitment doesn't address LTE interoperability problems with Verizon and other major US networks, but it should help at least a few tiny carriers stand a fighting chance in the 4G era.

Source: http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/11/att-agrees-to-lte-interoperability-with-smaller-us-carriers/

Message 420 of 722 (14,241 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.