Check for service outages
Mjrtom7's profile

Explorer

• 

25 Messages

Wednesday, September 19th, 2012 6:57 PM

Closed

Will Northeast MI ever receive 3G?

I've heard talk about how ATT is "working on their network coverage" and plans to provide 3G service in Northeast MI "in the coming months".  Well, now that another 2 year contract has expired, I'm seriously wondering if I would be better off jumping to Verizon.  The EDGE data network up here if virtually useless.  5 full bars, yet extremely poor data transfer.  

Can anyone provide an HONEST answer as to when this coverage is planned to be upgraded???  Verizon has had 3G for quite a long while up here...

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

11 years ago

On a quick note, I heard through the gravevine that 9/30 is the target date for most of the towers to have HSPA service across all of Mi with the exception of a handful of sites that will take longer.

Scholar

• 

151 Messages

11 years ago

Hope the one in McFarland gets updated between now and then.

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

11 years ago

I would say in the next few months at the latest. Tower crews are working hard to try and keep up. 

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

11 years ago

Yes, I hope it is as you say, by the end of September.  That would thrill me to no end!  Then maybe I can start complaining about data caps, just like the folks in the Big City!  lol

I saw crews working on the big tower just South of AuGres, for the last couple months.  Putting up new panel ant. and such.  I hope that is part of the AT&T system as well......

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

11 years ago

AT&T's target date is end of September for a vast majority of sites to have HSPA or 3G. By the end of this year, all of those sites are supposed to be upgraded from that to HSPA+. Fiber Ethernet backhaul will be the issue and that is supposed to go hand and hand with LTE activations.

Scholar

• 

151 Messages

11 years ago

I was in Gladstone last night and decided to do a few speed tests. The speed has been lowered a lot than when it first launched in July sometime.

IMG_0456.PNG

when I did some speed tests back in July I was getting around 5-8.

1 Attachment

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

11 years ago

There is probably a lot more traffic on that tower now that people know about the '4G" and I have noticed the speeds have been a bit slow this past week here as well. I have received confirmation that HSPA+ is live completely along I-75 from the Ohio border all the way to Sault St. Marie. Very Cool!!

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

I confirmed on saturday between 182 and 202 was solid 4g. Spoke to ATT they said they are working on deploying that area  with 4g and that it should be completed by the first of the year. its looking better!!!!

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

11 years ago

Post edited:

Ok that's what I heard too pretty much from Tier 2 C.S.  The person that gave me the info yesterday oversees work on the towers in MI and said that there is now complete coverage along I-75 across MI. AT&T is working hard to get 3G overlay on most of the sites within 1-2 months with the exception of some of those old wooden mono poles  (former Dobson sites) that cannot be upgraded and will have to be rebuilt. What AT&T told you is what they told me as well, which is their entire network will have the first layer of 4G or HSPA+ by the end of the year. All the new coverage in northern MI right now is 3G and mostly on T-1 backhaul, and even though your phone might say 4G or H+.....that means those sites are HSPA+ ready. I will be traveling up this weekend so I will get to see if my info is correct.

Scholar

• 

138 Messages

11 years ago

Lewyman,

What I suspect from what you say is that the air interface (software on the cell site) is 4G UMTS/HSPA+21, aka the latest GSM 3G technology. But the backhaul from the cell site to the switch/MSC is still on T-1. This solves the voice capacity problem but data will still be slow until Fiber Ethernet goes into the cell site. By then they can also activate the LTE mode on the cell site.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.