Check for service outages
Mjrtom7's profile

Explorer

• 

25 Messages

Wednesday, September 19th, 2012 6:57 PM

Closed

Will Northeast MI ever receive 3G?

I've heard talk about how ATT is "working on their network coverage" and plans to provide 3G service in Northeast MI "in the coming months".  Well, now that another 2 year contract has expired, I'm seriously wondering if I would be better off jumping to Verizon.  The EDGE data network up here if virtually useless.  5 full bars, yet extremely poor data transfer.  

Can anyone provide an HONEST answer as to when this coverage is planned to be upgraded???  Verizon has had 3G for quite a long while up here...

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

11 years ago

Doesn't make sense what they are doing. There was supposed
to be a huge swath of new HSPA coverage by today in NE MI. Don't know if there was but hopefully I can head up to check this coming weekend. HSPA "4G" is considered 3G on Sensorly and it doesn't appear anyone is even mapping the new coverage. Maybe there is nobody left up there with AT&T?? Anyway, I figured out how to make the SIM from my hotspot work in my old phone so I will try to get up there this weekend and do some serious mapping. Kudos to Big Red for getting LTE rolled out across the entire lower and most of the upper in the time they did. I will say with the hills, heavy forest, and decreased cell density there are holes in their coverage as well. I guess same can be said with all the carriers.

Post Edit: Just talked to a guy in the Gaylord AT&T store. He indeed confirmed that there was another large HSPA expansion in northeast MI yesterday. He couldn't confirm exactly which areas got it but there is new coverage and they are having some issues so service is kinda on and off right now. Tier 2 support told me three weeks ago that Waters, Frederick, Johannesburg, Lewiston, Atlanta, Hillman, and other areas were slated to get it by today.  

Scholar

• 

173 Messages

11 years ago

Pickford and Cedarville were lit up with 4g off and on yesterday, August 1. We were able to get 4g in areas we have never received before. By the end of the day, our devices were all showing Edge. Maybe we are getting close.

Funny that the big roll of cable is still hanging on the pole.

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

11 years ago

@JREwing53
Hellz Yeh!!!! They are definately testing/working out issues but your area will have it very very soon. That tower south of Pickford must be on microwave of fiber. If it is indeed on fiber that may indicate that Charter will use that roll of cable to tap into it and provide cable service to the area around it. Just guessing but thats awesome.

Scholar

• 

173 Messages

11 years ago

At 9:30 am, only Edge in the downtown metroplex area of Pickford. As of 10:15 am, showing 4g. August 2. My friend is showing 4g in Cedarville. 

Scholar

• 

173 Messages

11 years ago

Here are the speeds I'm getting

Download: 2903 kbps

Upload: 1270 kbps

Ping: 166 ms

External

Is this good, bad, or average.

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

11 years ago

Well its been a LONG time coming but it is finally happening. Now I can say I believe that AT&T will truly have the entire state upgraded by the end of the year. The guy I talked to earlier this week that works at the AT&T store in Gaylord, said the techs and engineers that come into the store have said the first launch is basically HSDPA 7.2 (3G) followed by HSPA/HSPA+ 14 or 21. They will have that first layer of "4G" complete by years end and start working on LTE in northern MI next year.

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

11 years ago

Those speeds are to be expected for a short time. Then you should see them in the 2-5 MB/s down and 1-1.5 up. When they upgrade to the next layer you should see up to 10-12 megs on the download.

Edit: You should be the first to map the new coverage on Sensorly. You can download their app from the play store.  

Scholar

• 

151 Messages

11 years ago

Glad to hear you finally got "4G"!

I wonder if ATT added a new tower around the Perkins or Gladstone area? I used to get around 2-3 bars in Perkins and as I got closer to Gladstone my signal would improve to 4 then 5 bars. I noticed when I went into Gladstone Tues and Thurs I get 5 full bars now Right when I get into Perkins and stays that way all through Perkins and Gladstone.

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

11 years ago

@American Ninja
Sounds like they did.

Looking at the tower locations near Pickford and in Cedarville, I am wondering if they lit up the towers in Goetzville, Detour Village, and Drummond as well.

Scholar

• 

173 Messages

11 years ago

As of this afternoon, August 2, there is no data showing on our devices. No Edge or 4G. Wonder what's up?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.