Check for service outages
Mjrtom7's profile

Explorer

• 

25 Messages

Wednesday, September 19th, 2012 6:57 PM

Closed

Will Northeast MI ever receive 3G?

I've heard talk about how ATT is "working on their network coverage" and plans to provide 3G service in Northeast MI "in the coming months".  Well, now that another 2 year contract has expired, I'm seriously wondering if I would be better off jumping to Verizon.  The EDGE data network up here if virtually useless.  5 full bars, yet extremely poor data transfer.  

Can anyone provide an HONEST answer as to when this coverage is planned to be upgraded???  Verizon has had 3G for quite a long while up here...

Scholar

• 

173 Messages

11 years ago

I wish Sprint would come to the UP. I had Sprint when I lived in Saginaw and loved it. 

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

11 years ago

I believe Sprint roams on Verizon's newtork for voice in northern MI as per agreement with Alltel before Verizon acquired them. I also read there is a PRL setting you can change on your Sprint phone that forces 3G roaming on Verizons network as well. Don't know if that is true however.

Scholar

• 

173 Messages

11 years ago

@Lewyman wrote:
I believe Sprint roams on Verizon's newtork for voice in northern MI as per agreement with Alltel before Verizon acquired them. I also read there is a PRL setting you can change on your Sprint phone that forces 3G roaming on Verizons network as well. Don't know if that is true however.

That is true. The problem here is that if you use over 50% of your calls via roaming, Sprint will drop you. I think that is pretty much true for any company. I had a friend in the Thumb area who was on ATT, and he got dropped for the same reason. Too much roaming, and you will get a friendly call from your cell provider informing you that your account will be terminated, but you will not have to pay an ETF.

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

11 years ago

Well I may have to change my second from last post a bit. It appears that a few spots of T-Mo 3G has appeared on Sensorly in the western part of the U.P. by Ontonagon. Hmmmm??

Scholar

• 

138 Messages

11 years ago

In MI AT&T won't drop anyone. The problem before was that Northern MI and the UP was Cellular One's network. AT&T bought them a couple of years ago and the entire state is a native 100% AT&T network. The problem now is that AT&T is very slow in UPGRADING the network to modern standards. 

I use VZW here in Metro Detroit and the LTE is excellent. A friends company switched to AT&T because they got a better deal and they need global capability to swap SIM cards when they travel. (VZW global phones can do this as well.) Believe me, they were having signal issues in a industrial park in a Metro Detroit suburb at their company location! Can you believe that? An area that is supposedly good by AT&T. 

Sigh.

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

11 years ago

I think the biggest problem with AT&T is they have too many projects going on at once and not enough $$. Over the last several years they have been expanding their DSL and rolling out Uverse, and trying to upgrade to 3G but was basically forced to an earlier than planned LTE deployment because of Verizon. An AT&T tech told me a few weeks ago they plan on phasing out their DSL, and are in the process of rebuilding and converting their entire wired broadband infastructure over to Uverse. Now I think AT&T has something big planned this next few years. The reason I say that is why would Ford and GM both select AT&T for their OnStar, Navigation, Sync, and Wifi hotspots on their current and future cars?? They must have shown both companies some big plans especially with GM jumping ship from Verizon. Hopefully, AT&T has gotten the message from northern MI....... WE WANT MORE!!!!!!

Teacher

• 

29 Messages

11 years ago

It's pathetic really.  Looking at the Sensorly maps, SPRINT has a ton more LTE than ATT does!  Sprint started deployment long after ATT and has been broke for a long time, but some how they are LTE darn near everywhere in Michigan on their network.

There is really no excuse for ATT other than they don't give a rats poop maker about their wireless side and customers.   

Teacher

• 

29 Messages

11 years ago

LOL

att.pngVerizon.gif

2 Attachments

Scholar

• 

173 Messages

11 years ago

Well, it's July 31 and no 4G. Since moving to the UP of Michigan 13 months ago, I've been given four dates for 4G implementation in my area.

July 31, 2012

May 31 2013

July 15, 2013

July 31, 2013

Not one of these dates have panned out. Verizon is lighting up with 4G LTE all around here in the last two months, and goodl ole' ATT is still on Edge.

I guess I do have till the end of the day, but I'm not holding my breath.

Scholar

• 

151 Messages

11 years ago

Wow, thats just sad.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.