Will Northeast MI ever receive 3G?

Explorer

Will Northeast MI ever receive 3G?

I've heard talk about how ATT is "working on their network coverage" and plans to provide 3G service in Northeast MI "in the coming months".  Well, now that another 2 year contract has expired, I'm seriously wondering if I would be better off jumping to Verizon.  The EDGE data network up here if virtually useless.  5 full bars, yet extremely poor data transfer.  

Can anyone provide an HONEST answer as to when this coverage is planned to be upgraded???  Verizon has had 3G for quite a long while up here...

Message 1 of 722 (43,774 Views)
Scholar

Re: Will Northeast MI ever receive 3G?

[ Edited ]

@willzzz88

Actually AT&T has a LOT more 3G/HSPA+("4G") coverage than t-mobile does in MI.  T-mo has absolutely no 3G/4G north of I-69 except two blotches in Grand Rapids and Flint. I live in northern Macomb County and it is still 2G here. Sprint has a decent 3G footprint up north but is spotty in most areas but their LTE is appearing in many areas now as well. Verizon now has all of their towers in the lower penninsula running on LTESmiley Wink

Message 301 of 722 (14,475 Views)
Highlighted
Scholar

I wish Sprint would come to the UP. I had Sprint when I lived in Saginaw and loved it. 

Message 302 of 722 (14,465 Views)
Scholar

I believe Sprint roams on Verizon's newtork for voice in northern MI as per agreement with Alltel before Verizon acquired them. I also read there is a PRL setting you can change on your Sprint phone that forces 3G roaming on Verizons network as well. Don't know if that is true however.
Message 303 of 722 (14,462 Views)
Scholar

Lewyman wrote:
I believe Sprint roams on Verizon's newtork for voice in northern MI as per agreement with Alltel before Verizon acquired them. I also read there is a PRL setting you can change on your Sprint phone that forces 3G roaming on Verizons network as well. Don't know if that is true however.

That is true. The problem here is that if you use over 50% of your calls via roaming, Sprint will drop you. I think that is pretty much true for any company. I had a friend in the Thumb area who was on ATT, and he got dropped for the same reason. Too much roaming, and you will get a friendly call from your cell provider informing you that your account will be terminated, but you will not have to pay an ETF.

Message 304 of 722 (14,428 Views)
Scholar

Well I may have to change my second from last post a bit. It appears that a few spots of T-Mo 3G has appeared on Sensorly in the western part of the U.P. by Ontonagon. Hmmmm??
Message 305 of 722 (14,409 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

In MI AT&T won't drop anyone. The problem before was that Northern MI and the UP was Cellular One's network. AT&T bought them a couple of years ago and the entire state is a native 100% AT&T network. The problem now is that AT&T is very slow in UPGRADING the network to modern standards. 

I use VZW here in Metro Detroit and the LTE is excellent. A friends company switched to AT&T because they got a better deal and they need global capability to swap SIM cards when they travel. (VZW global phones can do this as well.) Believe me, they were having signal issues in a industrial park in a Metro Detroit suburb at their company location! Can you believe that? An area that is supposedly good by AT&T. 

Sigh.

Message 306 of 722 (14,396 Views)
Scholar

I think the biggest problem with AT&T is they have too many projects going on at once and not enough $$. Over the last several years they have been expanding their DSL and rolling out Uverse, and trying to upgrade to 3G but was basically forced to an earlier than planned LTE deployment because of Verizon. An AT&T tech told me a few weeks ago they plan on phasing out their DSL, and are in the process of rebuilding and converting their entire wired broadband infastructure over to Uverse. Now I think AT&T has something big planned this next few years. The reason I say that is why would Ford and GM both select AT&T for their OnStar, Navigation, Sync, and Wifi hotspots on their current and future cars?? They must have shown both companies some big plans especially with GM jumping ship from Verizon. Hopefully, AT&T has gotten the message from northern MI....... WE WANT MORE!!!!!!

Message 307 of 722 (14,375 Views)
Teacher

It's pathetic really.  Looking at the Sensorly maps, SPRINT has a ton more LTE than ATT does!  Sprint started deployment long after ATT and has been broke for a long time, but some how they are LTE darn near everywhere in Michigan on their network.

There is really no excuse for ATT other than they don't give a rats poop maker about their wireless side and customers.   

Message 308 of 722 (14,302 Views)
Teacher

LOL

Message 309 of 722 (14,091 Views)
Scholar

Well, it's July 31 and no 4G. Since moving to the UP of Michigan 13 months ago, I've been given four dates for 4G implementation in my area.

July 31, 2012

May 31 2013

July 15, 2013

July 31, 2013

Not one of these dates have panned out. Verizon is lighting up with 4G LTE all around here in the last two months, and goodl ole' ATT is still on Edge.

I guess I do have till the end of the day, but I'm not holding my breath.

Message 310 of 722 (14,089 Views)

Wow, thats just sad.

Message 311 of 722 (14,072 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

Doesn't make sense what they are doing. There was supposed
to be a huge swath of new HSPA coverage by today in NE MI. Don't know if there was but hopefully I can head up to check this coming weekend. HSPA "4G" is considered 3G on Sensorly and it doesn't appear anyone is even mapping the new coverage. Maybe there is nobody left up there with AT&T?? Anyway, I figured out how to make the SIM from my hotspot work in my old phone so I will try to get up there this weekend and do some serious mapping. Kudos to Big Red for getting LTE rolled out across the entire lower and most of the upper in the time they did. I will say with the hills, heavy forest, and decreased cell density there are holes in their coverage as well. I guess same can be said with all the carriers.

Post Edit: Just talked to a guy in the Gaylord AT&T store. He indeed confirmed that there was another large HSPA expansion in northeast MI yesterday. He couldn't confirm exactly which areas got it but there is new coverage and they are having some issues so service is kinda on and off right now. Tier 2 support told me three weeks ago that Waters, Frederick, Johannesburg, Lewiston, Atlanta, Hillman, and other areas were slated to get it by today.  

Message 312 of 722 (14,063 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

Pickford and Cedarville were lit up with 4g off and on yesterday, August 1. We were able to get 4g in areas we have never received before. By the end of the day, our devices were all showing Edge. Maybe we are getting close.

Funny that the big roll of cable is still hanging on the pole.

Message 313 of 722 (13,971 Views)
Scholar

@JREwing53
Hellz Yeh!!!! They are definately testing/working out issues but your area will have it very very soon. That tower south of Pickford must be on microwave of fiber. If it is indeed on fiber that may indicate that Charter will use that roll of cable to tap into it and provide cable service to the area around it. Just guessing but thats awesome.
Message 314 of 722 (13,956 Views)
Scholar

At 9:30 am, only Edge in the downtown metroplex area of Pickford. As of 10:15 am, showing 4g. August 2. My friend is showing 4g in Cedarville. 

Message 315 of 722 (13,952 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.