Check for service outages
Mjrtom7's profile

Explorer

• 

25 Messages

Wednesday, September 19th, 2012 6:57 PM

Closed

Will Northeast MI ever receive 3G?

I've heard talk about how ATT is "working on their network coverage" and plans to provide 3G service in Northeast MI "in the coming months".  Well, now that another 2 year contract has expired, I'm seriously wondering if I would be better off jumping to Verizon.  The EDGE data network up here if virtually useless.  5 full bars, yet extremely poor data transfer.  

Can anyone provide an HONEST answer as to when this coverage is planned to be upgraded???  Verizon has had 3G for quite a long while up here...

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

11 years ago

Hey everyone, checkout the new coverage map!!! TONS of new service in N.E. MI. Sorry, nothing in the U.P. yet though.

Teacher

• 

29 Messages

11 years ago

I guess for ATT that is tons.  Looking at the rest of the U.S., it looks like NE lower, da U.P and north WI. are the red headed step children for 3/4g.  There are very few other areas still on Edge.  Even though I don't live up there and only go once 1-3 times a year, if they don't upgrade virtually all of the U.P., I will certainly be going Red.

ATT is an embarrassment for N. MI people right now.  

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

Went through grayling last night I think the map says its suppose to have 3G now, but there's no 3G just this crapy edge that barely works

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

11 years ago

Yes indeed the coverage map shows 3G in Grayling. There is another forum where people are saying the same thing....that they didn't actually turn it on until a week or two after the coverage showed up on the map. I am eagerly awaiting to here from JREwing53 as to whether or not they activate the tower in Pickford tomorrow and keep to their word.

Screenshot_2013-07-14-13-41-44.png

1 Attachment

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

Why would you put it on a map if its not activated what a croc AT&T. What other forum did they say this on?

Scholar

• 

173 Messages

11 years ago

It's Sunday, July 14, and the big roll of cable is still hanging on the poll. And the gate is shut. Tomorrow is supposed to be the day. 

Funny that I was golfing yesterday two miles north of Pickford, and I can see the tower off in the distance, and my phone has no data. Not even Edge. And this is in their so called 4g area. I sure hope this 4g is better. 

Teacher

• 

29 Messages

11 years ago

For the 8 people that live in Red Oak, congrats on 3g. No, not HSPA+, just good ole 3g!

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

11 years ago

I drive the Au Gres - Tawas - Oscoda US-23 corridor every day for work.  And the service is abysmal.  I'm so irritated with  AT&T that even if they were to upgrade their service before my contract is up, I might still switch.  

Even Edge is next to useless most of the time.  With my iphone4s constantly trying to refresh, with no results.  With the "E" lit up, I can't even send iMessages most of the time; having to click them to revert to traditional text messages.

I keep hearing that the upgrades are coming, they are coming.  So I don't get it?  Are they straight up lying when they say this?  Is there some miscommunication going on?  Or are they really doing something?

So glad I've been paying data fees for years, when I never even use 1/4 of my allotment; as it is just not possible to use more under these circumstances. 

I'm just so frustrated with the service.  I NEVER recommend AT&T to anyone, even if they live somewhere with better service.  

I think I'm going to go with Republic Wireless in the fall.  Using their WiFi/Sprint network, they are tough to beat at $20/month with unlimited everything.  

Hear what I'm laying down AT&T??  The rest of the gang is eating your lunch!

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

11 years ago

@jwagger

Yep I can't figure out why they would turn it on in Red Oak and not Mio first. There is absolutely nothing in Red Oak. You are correct it is currently 3G but they run it at that for a while then fire up "H+".

@FritzR

I have service with both AT&T and Verizon. Just to let you know....Verizon's coverage is spotty as well along 23 in between those areas you mentioned until you get near a town. Theres a few strectches where my phone only has one bar and drops to 3G or 1X.

Scholar

• 

173 Messages

11 years ago

It's July 15, the date of the supposed activation to 4G. 11:00 a.m. and the gate is shut, the roll of wire still on the pole, and nobody around. Anyone want to bet that it won't happen today?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.