Will Northeast MI ever receive 3G?

Explorer

Will Northeast MI ever receive 3G?

I've heard talk about how ATT is "working on their network coverage" and plans to provide 3G service in Northeast MI "in the coming months".  Well, now that another 2 year contract has expired, I'm seriously wondering if I would be better off jumping to Verizon.  The EDGE data network up here if virtually useless.  5 full bars, yet extremely poor data transfer.  

Can anyone provide an HONEST answer as to when this coverage is planned to be upgraded???  Verizon has had 3G for quite a long while up here...

Message 1 of 722 (44,017 Views)
Scholar

Re: Will Northeast MI ever receive 3G?

There were three trucks and major activity at the att tower today south of Pickford . Lots of black cable , whatever that means. Maybe, just maybe.

Message 226 of 722 (14,555 Views)
Scholar

Ok....are there any other wireless carriers antennas on the tower??? If that tower is soley AT&T's, then that is a great sign as they are prepping the antennas with high-speed cable for HSPA+/LTE. If they are working there that means they are also upgrading towers in the area as well. I don't know about the June 29 date they gave you, but I would say by summer your area should have new service.
Message 227 of 722 (14,534 Views)
Highlighted
Scholar

It can't be anyone else's tower. We have zero verizon service in Pickford, and tmobile and sprint have no service in the UP.

Message 228 of 722 (14,525 Views)
Scholar

I see Verizon doesn't have service but Sprint has roaming voice coverage there. Anyway, they are indeed wiring the antennas for high-speed data. I think AT&T and T-Mo should have worked out a data roaming agreement which would have given both companies the necessary paired spectrum to launch LTE on 700 MHz in the U.P. Now they are hoping to get CenturyTel's chunk.
Message 229 of 722 (14,517 Views)

No "4G" (HSPA+) at the Mcfarland tower yet. I still have E outside my house but, when I get in Perkins it switches over to 4G then I have it in Gladstone and Escanaba. when Im coming back from Gladstone or Escanaba, I lose 4G just as I leave perkins then it switches back to Edge.

Message 230 of 722 (14,509 Views)
Scholar

Was just over to Manisique yesterday. No 4g there yet. Kind of surprising.

Message 231 of 722 (14,497 Views)
Scholar

Well AT&T is starting to upgrade in northern Mi not too far from my cabin in Lewiston. There is a tower in Red Oak(489 & Kneeland rd.) that has been there for quite a while. Well I drove by it today and spotted something different up top so I stopped and got out my camera to take a close up. I discovered that sometime last week they have installed 6 brand new broadband antennas and there are small orange flags leading up to the base station along the driveway. That's huge as there has been no activity upgrading wise from AT&T in that area for a long time!!! Lets hope....
Message 232 of 722 (14,419 Views)
Voyager

Message 233 of 722 (14,334 Views)
Scholar

@namiller24

Nice map!! Someone on another forum said VZ LTE went live in Seney yesterday.
Message 234 of 722 (14,326 Views)
Scholar

Hey everyone. Check out the new AT&T coverage viewer.
Message 235 of 722 (14,237 Views)

Wish they would have updated their 4G coverage instead of working on the new map. lol It looks good though. Marquette has LTE now?

Message 236 of 722 (14,175 Views)
Scholar

No. It is close in color but Marquette is still 4G not 4G LTE.

Message 237 of 722 (14,160 Views)
Scholar

This is an AT&T tower in Red Oak, MI about 15 miles south of Lewiston. Sometime in the last month, they have added these multi-frequency broadband antennas for 3G/4G. This tower is in the boonies....literally so I commend them for upgrading and prepping northern MI for broadband wireless service.

Message 238 of 722 (14,159 Views)
Teacher

[ Edited ]

It was rather frustrating this past weekend.  I was in the Gaylord and Houghton Lake area with a friend on Verizon.  Me, E in every place except downtown Gaylord (which was .8mb 3g), the V, LTE virtually everywhere.  Oh and V doesn't show LTE in Gaylord, but trust me, it was there and all around.  Heck, even Sprint had LTE in Gaylord! 

Granted, the LTE works great where I live but...I am still not sure why I renewed with them.

Message 239 of 722 (14,120 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

Verizon just launched a metric TON of new LTE coverage in NE MI. Rogers City, Onaway, and Indian River areas. Also continuous LTE coverage from Gaylord all the way to St. Ignace. New continuous LTE from Indian River to Rogers City on M-68. And it is blazing fast. 

Message 240 of 722 (14,107 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.