Check for service outages
Mjrtom7's profile

Explorer

• 

25 Messages

Wednesday, September 19th, 2012 6:57 PM

Closed

Will Northeast MI ever receive 3G?

I've heard talk about how ATT is "working on their network coverage" and plans to provide 3G service in Northeast MI "in the coming months".  Well, now that another 2 year contract has expired, I'm seriously wondering if I would be better off jumping to Verizon.  The EDGE data network up here if virtually useless.  5 full bars, yet extremely poor data transfer.  

Can anyone provide an HONEST answer as to when this coverage is planned to be upgraded???  Verizon has had 3G for quite a long while up here...

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

11 years ago

Well there is an updated coverage map on AT&T's site as of 6/5/13 and still no new 3G/H+ coverage in northern Michigan. What in the world is going on??? Here are the latest screenshots from Sensorly depicting Verizon 4G and AT&T 3G/HSPA+ ("4G") coverage.

Screenshot_2013-06-10-23-21-46.jpgScreenshot_2013-06-10-23-25-53.jpg

Verizon 4G LTE 30 months after launch__AT&T 3G/HSPA+ coverage since 2007.

No....it's not complicated!!!!!

2 Attachments

Scholar

• 

151 Messages

11 years ago

Wow, thats sad. Smiley Sad

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

11 years ago

Well, let's remember Sensorly is solely dependent of its users. That means the map can be wrong. I would personally go by the coverage map or RootMetrics since both their staff and users contribute ti the maps. As far as 3G expansion goes, the answer would be maybe since AT&T is always working on their network to expand into new places and performing upgrades. It's a definite possibility but no one knows until it happens. 🙂 Your best bet would be to ask a Customer Care representative and thet may be able to tell you.

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

11 years ago

@Evandela

Yes Sensorly is user based which makes their coverage map pretty much spot on for actual coverage in areas that haven't been "Officially announced".  I have personally mapped close to a hundred miles or more of verizon 4G coverage which many of those areas have yet to appear on Verizon's official map. I also have an AT&T hotspot I carry with me and I can say I haven't found any new 3G/4G in northeast MI. Now there may be a tower with upgraded service somewhere up there, but not likely as word travels fast. But that's the point of this thread. The fact is AT&T started it's 3G buildout in 2006, and look where it is today in Michigan, on either Sensorly or AT&T's map. Now since 2006 Verizon has built out an entire EVDO 3G network, getting close to finishing it's first LTE buildout, and will start it's LTE-A next month. Thats almost two complete 3rd and 4th generation highspeed networks in less time. AT&T's EDGE coverage area far surpasses even it's own LTE coverage....I mean really?? On a final note...I would get better info from Mr. Ed than I would a C.C.R.  Just saying....  

Scholar

• 

173 Messages

11 years ago

There were three trucks and major activity at the att tower today south of Pickford . Lots of black cable , whatever that means. Maybe, just maybe.

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

11 years ago

Ok....are there any other wireless carriers antennas on the tower??? If that tower is soley AT&T's, then that is a great sign as they are prepping the antennas with high-speed cable for HSPA+/LTE. If they are working there that means they are also upgrading towers in the area as well. I don't know about the June 29 date they gave you, but I would say by summer your area should have new service.

Scholar

• 

173 Messages

11 years ago

It can't be anyone else's tower. We have zero verizon service in Pickford, and tmobile and sprint have no service in the UP.

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

11 years ago

I see Verizon doesn't have service but Sprint has roaming voice coverage there. Anyway, they are indeed wiring the antennas for high-speed data. I think AT&T and T-Mo should have worked out a data roaming agreement which would have given both companies the necessary paired spectrum to launch LTE on 700 MHz in the U.P. Now they are hoping to get CenturyTel's chunk.

Scholar

• 

151 Messages

11 years ago

No "4G" (HSPA+) at the Mcfarland tower yet. I still have E outside my house but, when I get in Perkins it switches over to 4G then I have it in Gladstone and Escanaba. when Im coming back from Gladstone or Escanaba, I lose 4G just as I leave perkins then it switches back to Edge.

Scholar

• 

173 Messages

11 years ago

Was just over to Manisique yesterday. No 4g there yet. Kind of surprising.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.