Check for service outages
Mjrtom7's profile

Explorer

• 

25 Messages

Wednesday, September 19th, 2012 6:57 PM

Closed

Will Northeast MI ever receive 3G?

I've heard talk about how ATT is "working on their network coverage" and plans to provide 3G service in Northeast MI "in the coming months".  Well, now that another 2 year contract has expired, I'm seriously wondering if I would be better off jumping to Verizon.  The EDGE data network up here if virtually useless.  5 full bars, yet extremely poor data transfer.  

Can anyone provide an HONEST answer as to when this coverage is planned to be upgraded???  Verizon has had 3G for quite a long while up here...

Professor

• 

827 Messages

11 years ago

Any news on when Drummond Island will have 3G ?

Scholar

• 

173 Messages

11 years ago

I would guess that June 29 would be a target date. Our tower is about seven miles north of Cedarville and that is due for conversion to 4g on June 29. They are running the fiber line down 129 now. I think the Drummond Island tower is near Detour? I would think at least by the end of the summer.

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

11 years ago

AT&T's coverage map is now showing the new HSPA+ "4G" coverage in Alpena, Cheboygan area, and up by Gladstone.

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

11 years ago

Edit: Cheboygan is still on EDGE according to the map. The new 4G coverage in that area is surrounding Black Lake. There must be an AT&T exec that has a cottage there and is tired of having crappy service.  

Scholar

• 

151 Messages

11 years ago

Sweet! I just checked the other day and it wasnt updated. Glad to see its updated now. 😄

Scholar

• 

173 Messages

11 years ago

A few items that make me wonder if AT&T is working on towers, or if my phone just isn't working right.

I'm in Marquette last Thursday, and my phone (HTC One X) has trouble connecting to 4G. My wife's feature phone (dumbphone) picks up her 3G several miles before mine even has a 4G icon. While I'm at the hospital there, I have a big fat X on my phone showing no reception, no data, and no signal, while her phone is working fine.

So Friday, we head downstate to Flint. While traveling from Cedarville to I75, her phone all of a sudden picks up her 3G signal about halfway to the Interstate and stays on 3G on down through Mackinaw City. My phone never picks up a 4G signal the entire way until we get to Gaylord. Once we hit the first 4G area south of the Mackinaw Bridge, my phone phone works fine. Picked up 4G in Saginaw and 4G LTE in Flint area fine.

When I go back home, once I hit Mackinaw City, my phone works normally.

I tried restarting my device on the two occasions, and that didnt' help.

Any ideas?

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

11 years ago

@JREwing53

I have found that "dumb" phones usually have better reception than smart phones. Even though your phone is one of the top smart phones, it does not have as good of an internal antenna as your wife's phone. My sis and brother n law have a cabin about 15 miles east of Grayling and her phone usually has 3-4 bars of EDGE, while his (One X also) has no service. Another possible reason is there could be handoff issues switching from EDGE to HSPA+(4G). I am now with Verizon and have the HTC Droid DNA, and I have noticed that sometimes my phone doesn't switch into 4G until I get close to the tower. If that happens to you again, I would suggest turning on Airplane mode, then turning it back off instead of a restart. Worse case scenario, you might have to find someone to flash an upgraded radio on your phone.

Scholar

• 

136 Messages

11 years ago

@Lewyman is 100% correct. Some smartphones have much worse RF than dumbphones. HTC is known to have 'iffy' RF quality. Motorola (all models), Apple (i4S, i5), and BlackBerry (all models) have the best RF quality out there. 

Also: Verizon just activated 4G LTE in the city and surrounding areas of Cheboygan, MI this morning around 4:00AM. 

Scholar

• 

173 Messages

11 years ago

Was in Marquette today, and never got a 4G signal anywhere in town. What is up with this? The coverage map says there is 4G there, bu it's a no-go.

Scholar

• 

151 Messages

11 years ago

That's weird. Did you get a 3G signal?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.