Will Northeast MI ever receive 3G?

Explorer

Will Northeast MI ever receive 3G?

I've heard talk about how ATT is "working on their network coverage" and plans to provide 3G service in Northeast MI "in the coming months".  Well, now that another 2 year contract has expired, I'm seriously wondering if I would be better off jumping to Verizon.  The EDGE data network up here if virtually useless.  5 full bars, yet extremely poor data transfer.  

Can anyone provide an HONEST answer as to when this coverage is planned to be upgraded???  Verizon has had 3G for quite a long while up here...

Message 1 of 722 (43,746 Views)
Highlighted

Re: Will Northeast MI ever receive 3G?

That's weird. Did you get a 3G signal?

Message 211 of 722 (15,021 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

Had intermittant "G" on my HTC One X. I would assume that means 3G. Never had a 4G signal on my phone any time I was there.

My device has really been acting screwing around the UP. When I go downstate I have no problems.

Message 212 of 722 (15,005 Views)

@BREwing53

No....G does not mean 3G. Your phone will only display 4G in a 3G/hspa+ coverage area. G is pretty much the equivalent of E....it is slow!! There has been 3G/hspa+ in Marquette for quite a while now. If your phone works ok downstate but not in the U.P. you might want to call tech support or go into an AT&T store up there. If your radio was bad it would not work anywhere. I have never heard of a problem like that before.
Message 213 of 722 (14,982 Views)

Edit: Sorry....JREwing53. Darned predictive text!!!!
Message 214 of 722 (14,979 Views)
Scholar

Towers are being worked on in NE MI right now. They are putting up panels that are multimodal, multi frequency. One antenna can run GSM/HSPA+/LTE. These antennas cover all frequency ranges. 700Mhz all the way to the highest AWS band.

Good things are coming for AT&T customers, it's been a long wait, but I can confidently say that good things are coming online soon.
Message 215 of 722 (14,977 Views)
Scholar

Indeed!
Message 216 of 722 (14,958 Views)
Scholar

AT&T 4G LTE now available in Laramie, Wyoming. REALLY??????
Message 217 of 722 (14,870 Views)
Scholar

Well, today the CFO of Verizon Wireless basically confirmed that their entire 3G footprint will upgraded to 4G LTE by this time next month. I would have never believed that they would finish their 1st LTE buildout before AT&T finished it's 3G/HSPA+ deployment.
Message 218 of 722 (14,816 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

The dawn is coming for rural AT&T customers who have been holding out for 3G/HSPA+ service.

Read the last sentence of the second paragraph. Rejoice people, rejoice! 

Message 219 of 722 (14,763 Views)
Teacher

Where did you see this article and how recent is it?

I worry that most of the U.P. and parts of northern lower, will be part of the "virtually all" that will not be upgraded.

Message 220 of 722 (14,738 Views)
Scholar

I would agree with you. They have told us that our local tower (4 miles soth of Pickford) is to be upgraded to 4g by June 29. I have not seen any activity at the tower site. And the fiber line from Sault Ste. Marie is only run to hwy 28. Not sure if the fiber line has anything to do with the 4g upgrade. It just seems like nothing is going on. And we basically have zero data speeds here. If that tower is upgraded by the 29th, I'll be surprised .
Message 221 of 722 (14,723 Views)
Scholar

Well there is an updated coverage map on AT&T's site as of 6/5/13 and still no new 3G/H+ coverage in northern Michigan. What in the world is going on??? Here are the latest screenshots from Sensorly depicting Verizon 4G and AT&T 3G/HSPA+ ("4G") coverage.

Verizon 4G LTE 30 months after launch__AT&T 3G/HSPA+ coverage since 2007.

No....it's not complicated!!!!!

Message 222 of 722 (14,645 Views)

Wow, thats sad. Smiley Sad

Message 223 of 722 (14,617 Views)
ACE - Professor

Well, let's remember Sensorly is solely dependent of its users. That means the map can be wrong. I would personally go by the coverage map or RootMetrics since both their staff and users contribute ti the maps. As far as 3G expansion goes, the answer would be maybe since AT&T is always working on their network to expand into new places and performing upgrades. It's a definite possibility but no one knows until it happens. Smiley Happy Your best bet would be to ask a Customer Care representative and thet may be able to tell you.

~Sunshine Smiley Happy
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 224 of 722 (14,601 Views)
Scholar

@Evandela

Yes Sensorly is user based which makes their coverage map pretty much spot on for actual coverage in areas that haven't been "Officially announced".  I have personally mapped close to a hundred miles or more of verizon 4G coverage which many of those areas have yet to appear on Verizon's official map. I also have an AT&T hotspot I carry with me and I can say I haven't found any new 3G/4G in northeast MI. Now there may be a tower with upgraded service somewhere up there, but not likely as word travels fast. But that's the point of this thread. The fact is AT&T started it's 3G buildout in 2006, and look where it is today in Michigan, on either Sensorly or AT&T's map. Now since 2006 Verizon has built out an entire EVDO 3G network, getting close to finishing it's first LTE buildout, and will start it's LTE-A next month. Thats almost two complete 3rd and 4th generation highspeed networks in less time. AT&T's EDGE coverage area far surpasses even it's own LTE coverage....I mean really?? On a final note...I would get better info from Mr. Ed than I would a C.C.R.  Just saying....  

Message 225 of 722 (14,583 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.